Goodkind XXXI: We read it so you don't have to

Albert

I can only really speak to Wizard's First Rule, because that's the only one I was able to summon the willpower to force myself to dredge through.

Goodkind's is the worst kind of high fantasy. It's a typical fantasy tale, but it's not done well enough to make it work. It runs like follows:

The main hero is a putz. He doesn't know anything. He is, however, for reasons rarely explained The Only Person Who Can Save The World. To help him along this path, an All-Powerful Wizard usually appears. For some reason, despite being All-Powerful (and often All-Knowing), the Wizard can't tell Our Putz anything or actually Save The World despite being All-Powerful. There's usually some dreck about it being against some balance or Bullet 3 in the All Powerful Wizards Guidebook: or All Powerful Wizards for Dummies.

As Our Putz bumbles through his destiny, everyone (and I mean everyone) will know more about him than he does. All of them- especially the Really Bad Guys- will know that he's The Only Person Who Can Save The World. This usually leads to some painful (if amusing) scenarios in which the Really Bad Guys try to kill Our Putz and he doesn't understand why.

Goodkind's not the only schlock out there. If you want to subject yourself to some serious pain, force yourself to read The Fifth Sorceress by Robert Newcombe. That one has two All Powerful Wizards who can't seem to do anything because...well, just because!

I'm busy reading A Clash of Kings for the first time. If I take a real break from the story I'll try and post the beautiful seduction scene Tairy masterfully crafted from Blood of the Fold.

Just to whet your appetites, it involves food.... damn, I only just remembered that's twice he'd used food for seduction. He did the same thing with Dick and the confessor in the first book.

Food = thing raising. Can't wait.

Goodkind's not the only schlock out there. If you want to subject yourself to some serious pain, force yourself to read The Fifth Sorceress by Robert Newcombe. That one has two All Powerful Wizards who can't seem to do anything because...well, just because!

We're way ahead of you man.

Okay, sexy apple scene from WFR. Dick and Kahlan are with the Mud People. They've been initiated into their culture and Kahlan is starting to realize just how moist Dick gets her. She's been trying to remain distant because she doesn't wanna wipe Dick's mind clean with her power. Since the bondage is still another 300 or so pages away, Tairy needed to warm his readers up. Here goes:

More a bit later. I'll leave color commentary to those more talented than I (and Tairy).

Sorry to bum you out, but we're gonna have to lay off the qouting of long passages; we've gotten in trouble over it before. Copyright infringement and fair use issues, you see.

Sorry to bum you out, but we're gonna have to lay off the qouting of long passages; we've gotten in trouble over it before. Copyright infringement and fair use issues, you see.

ooooh. Thanks for the warning. I'll know better for next time.

ooooh. Thanks for the warning. I'll know better for next time.

So you think there will be a next time, eh? Well then.

And way to bring the last thread home, everyone. I go away for a few days and the English language is brutally murdered with the jibber jabberigng of a thousand nations. Look, I went to college and got myself a degree in English specifically so I could butcher the language as I saw fit. I don't have time for any of the rest of your commie pinko jabbering ways. So make it English, or just hit the bricks. Yeah. :P

And, Mysh, you know that any belly aching that might have gotten onto a TG site is only because they're not rigidly controlled and told what to think. Individual thought has no place on the internet of TG's world. :P

Yeah, I don't get the mocking. The Dvorak keyboard is superior in every way to the qwerty. It's designed with the most used keys all on the main line, with the least used ones being the furthest away, and so on. All the fastest speed typists and such in the world use a Dvorak.

The qwerty is designed to actually spread out the most used keys, making it actually one of the LEAST efficient keyboards for typing. The whole point is to spread out well used letters so that the bars don't hit one another when using a typewritter.

Of course, everyone got used to using the damn thing, and now it's like we'll never switch. There was a great quote from the guy who invented Dvorak keyboard (ie -pretty sure his name is Dvorak) after he'd gone through all the effort of inventing the Dvorak keyboard, and then no one used it. It basically amounted to "Fuck humanity. You do something good for them and they spit in your face". It was pretty funny.

Yeah. Well screw your unkown keyboard and long live the QWERTY! And screw your metric system too while you're at it! :P

I grabbed my Jordan's off the shelf to check the publication dates and came up with this:

Eye of The World: 1990

The Great Hunt: 1990

The Dragon Reborn: 1991

The Shadow Rising: 1992

The Fires of Heaven: 1993

Lords of Chaos: 1994

Terry debuted WFR in 1994 and gave us Stone of Tears a year later in 1995. So six of Jordan's books were already out by then.

So it was five years after TGH that we received Terry's book. When I read that one the first time I found myself calling The Sisters Aes Sedai every time their name was written on a page.

Pero pienso en "gibber-jabber" a veces! Seriously. I have awakened and found myself pensando en español, perhaps because of all the Spanish-language novels I read and the occasional conversations online and face-to-face I have these days, and I find myself code-switching (and code-mixing) on occasion. I proudly gibber-jabber como un "death chooser" porque creo que si hablo en otros idiomas, the Tairies of the World will weep bitter tears and gnash their teeth in hatred.

Long live the gibber-jabbering! :P

Eye of The World: 1990

The Great Hunt: 1990

The Dragon Reborn: 1991

The Shadow Rising: 1992

The Fires of Heaven: 1993

Lords of Chaos: 1994

My bad. That's what you get for doing your research on Amazon and not realising that the publication date listed is for the particular edition and not the original date. Your dates are spot on. Jordan was way ahead.

ETA: Goodkind's dates, which I also got wrong.

Wizard's First Rule: 1994

Stone of Tears: 1995

Blood of the Fold: 1996

Stone of Tears was by far the worst of the lot in terms of plagiarism, with Blood of the Fold a distant, but not unnotable, second. After Blood of the Fold Goodkind seemed to give up on Jordan -- of course, it was two books later that he really discovered Rand in a big way.

Reading the dissenting responses over the other side made me very, very hopeful for humanity.

Reading through some of this, I was more struck by the reaction of some that 'ole Dick and Klan get little to no "closure" or anything. I kept screaming at the screen, "BECAUSE THERE'S ALWAYS GOING TO BE 'ONE MORE STORY' TO TELL! HE'LL NEVER 'END' IT!" :P

Then I see this from "Zedd" at dot.com:

If he added a few pages about riding in the sliph, then people would complain that he had already written about it and he wasted pages doing it.

Yes the book was fast paced. Yes, there could have been soe more at the end, but what people are failign to relaize is ther eis more story out there.

And to back himself up on his first comment:

I've been doing this for well over a decade, I do think I know what I am talking about.

Is "Zedd" really M* over at dot.com? That would explain much to me. Oops. Nope, it isn't. Ah well. :P

Is "Zedd" really M* over at dot.com? That would explain much to me. Oops. Nope, it isn't. Ah well. :P

Zedd is a separate yet equal entity. But their speelling skilz seam to be aboat teh same. Saddly Zedd claims to be a school teacher.

Zedd is a separate yet equal entity. But their speelling skilz seam to be aboat teh same. Saddly Zedd claims to be a school teacher.

The yin to M*'s (can I just say how much I love this little symbol that's been created, props to whomever started it!) yang, eh?

Archived