A Thread for Small Questions

Slynt

That was probably me; I admit to a recurring obsession with the subject (see my post earlier in this thread :)). Here are the current links: biologynews and Wikipedia.

As GRRM can dictate genetic workings, there probably can be naturally-occurring blue roses in Westeros, but they still wouldn't look like hybrid teas! No such flower in the medieval period.

Guest Other-in-law
Do we know where Rhaegar was buried? Jon's obsessive dream about the crypt makes me wonder.

Targaryens are usually burnt, not buried.

Guest Other-in-law
Loyalists would have probably burned him and rebels or people not wanting to risk antagonizing the winners would have left him for the crows.

I think that last part is backwards. Rather, people not wanting to antagonise the losers would wish to burn him. Sensible men, like Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully (who would convince Robert) would seek to reunite the realm by such conciliatory gestures to the vanquished. Would Barristan Selmy have willingly joined with men who left his prince to be picked at by crows and wild dogs? I doubt it.

I have a small question for the experts. I am a lurker on this board. Throughout the books the Faceless men are known as the world's best assassins. And that is pretty much all that is said of them. Then in Feast, Arya finds herself with them. Now after my first reading I had never visited this board. I didn't really see Arya as bunking with a bunch of assassins. To me it seemed like a secretive religious sect. So over time I used them to think about the overall religious questions of the books, what is their goal, how do they fit into the whole story, etc. I guess my question is, should I think of the group she is with like a bunch of assassins, or as a unique group that isn't just killing who it is paid to kill, but has its own motives that tie in to the larger story line?

I have a question that has probably been brought up before:

I don't remember when it was, but I think it was after Winterfell Burnt and Bran was in a Wolf Dream.

Summer looked up in the sky and saw something flying North that sounded like a Dragon.

What was that?

Guest Other-in-law

I think it's just a column of smoke and a belch of flame from the fire, rendered a little poetically by Summer's 'wolf-vision' POV. The wolves don't think in normal human vocabulary, so they use "hardskin" for armor, and things like that. I think it's mostly that, and a little bit of red herring for the readers.

Given how reports of Dany's dragons made their way (even in garbled form) to Westeros and the Free Cities after a while, I think it's safe to say that were there a Winterfell dragon as well, we would have heard about it. The ironborn who came from the North would have seen it, or heard the northerners talking about it. Reports would reach White Harbor, and from there to southron ports (not to mention Eastwatch, from where the news would spread to the other brothers of the Night's Watch). Maybe reports would have been sent to Robb or his bannermen.

SPOILER: ADWD
Asha hasn't heard anything by the time of her spoiler chapter, which can be dated to after "The Reaver" and possibly as much as a year after the last Bran chapter in A Clash of Kings.

The fact that we haven't heard any rumors about dragons in the north, even garbled ones, after months of story time has passed, tells me that there was no dragon.

Archived