A Thread for Small Questions

Slynt

When I first read that chapter I thought maybe Summer saw the Red Commet, and his discription sounded like a dragon.

But I feel like by the end of the book the Comet was old news, so that doesn't seem to make a lot of since.

And I don't remember the exact words, but I thought he mentioned wings, which wouldn't really fit a comet flying overhead.

I'm in a reread now, and am a chapter or two away, If I find anything that seems odd about the viewing I'll add to the post.

Maybe it is a red herring, but to what point? Just give the readers something to talk about before the third book was released?

I started the series last summer, so I guess the ability to run out and buy the next book and start right away has ruined that for me.

....that makes me think. Does anyone think we have any red harrings at the end of Feast for Crows?

There is one part where Dany was thinking about the dragons and there must be a rider for each. But Bran as a dragon-rider? Dany hates the Starks.

Dany might hate Ned Stark for his part in the rebellion.

But she might not even know about it. Seems to me like she will have more hate towards the Baratheons, and the Lannisters - who are responsible for the fall and sacking of Kings Landing.

She also knows about the murder of Rhaegars children, which was another Lannister Sin.

Given all of that, and the Fact that the Starks are at war with the Lannisters, she might not hate them as much as you think.

Viserys always called Eddard Stark one of the "Usurper's Dogs", and Dany thinks along much the same lines. When she hears of some news from Westeros, she find out that the Starks and the Lannister's are at war, and she is pleased because she hopes they all kill each other. She has no love for Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Tully or Arryn. I expect she'll be willing to accept Dorne since she is half Dornish, and possibly Highgarden.

Why _does_ Tyrion pour out the remaining wine in the chalice while Joffrey is dying? I've never understood his behavior there.

While Tyrion himself never even thinks on this point (which i find incredibly odd since it is the major piece of evidence against him) the only piece of evidence that we have is when Jaime says something to the extent that Tyrion gets these fits and starts of chivalry every so often and that he could have poured it out to protect Sansa, since probably thought (after "considering it for a moment ") that she was responsible since she was close by and had every reason to want him dead.

I know that isn't a satisfactory answer (or even written well) but IIRC that is all we really have to go on.

Viserys always called Eddard Stark one of the "Usurper's Dogs", and Dany thinks along much the same lines. When she hears of some news from Westeros, she find out that the Starks and the Lannister's are at war, and she is pleased because she hopes they all kill each other. She has no love for Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Tully or Arryn. I expect she'll be willing to accept Dorne since she is half Dornish, and possibly Highgarden.

I thought Dany's mother was Rhaella(?), Aerys' sister? Rhaegar's children were half Dornish, through Elia, maybe you're confusing the two. That doesn't invalidate your argument, however, with which I concur.

• 1 year later...

Reviving the old thread, which was never closed but had a sequel thread created for it. :dunno:

Link to the last post in the "old" thread.

How long were Eddard and Robert fostered by Jon Arryn? What sort of age range? I recall the bit where Arryn, instead of giving in to Aerys' demand to hand over the two, instead raised his banners in rebellion...but had they been living in the Vale for years, or had they just recently gone to Arryn for protection? Did Ned and Robert spend most of their pre-rebellion lives growing up together?

Ned was fostered from the age of eight until his age of majority, sixteen. Ned and Robert were in the Vale for some unknown reason. They both probably liked it there, having spent a good deal of their childhood there. I believe that Ned and Robert did spend a good deal of time growing up together.

Here is an SSM that goes into some of it.

Here is a question i've actually been meaning to ask but didn't really think it deserved it's own thread.

How reliable are the appendixes. What i mean is, how safe is it to glean information from them?

With the Game of Thrones appendix, you can clearly see that Ned's brother {Brandon} and his sister {Lyanna} are marked as dead, whereas Benjen isn't.

However, i can't get too excited over this because Jory and Cassel are still marked as living. Are the appendixes accurate from the START of the books?

also, side point.

I think Barristan the Bold may be able to clarify that Eddard Stark wasn't a demon, per se. After telling her how his family suffered by Aerys II, he may even point out that Ned resigned as Robert's Hand over her assassination. Starks and Targaryen may not be so at odds by ADWD. Just a personal opinion.

Guest Other-in-law
However, i can't get too excited over this because Jory and Cassel are still marked as living. Are the appendixes accurate from the START of the books?

I would say yes. The appendices reflect the situation at the start of each book.

That said, I wouldn't consider those brackets totally definitive for the really ambiguous cases like Gerion Lannister; they're more a reflection of what is widely accepted.

Also, especially in aGoT, the vassals of the Great Houses are summarised with "Principal houses sworn to..." which include some very inappropriate names. Clegane might be borderline in terms of strength despite being an upstart knightly house, but Seaworth and Baelish are not even remotely "principal". More like tertiary or lower. We're given a pretty forceful portrait of just how laughably lowly the Baelish lordship is in aSoS.

Say, how exactly did Jaime slay Aerys? I was always under the impression that he slit the Mad King's throat but in AFFC there's mention of him throwing a spear into his back. Anyone know what actually happened?

I think Ned mentions seeing Jaime on the Iron Throne with a bloody sword, but I guess that could have been from the pyromancer.

Guest Other-in-law
Say, how exactly did Jaime slay Aerys? I was always under the impression that he slit the Mad King's throat but in AFFC there's mention of him throwing a spear into his back. Anyone know what actually happened?

I think Ned mentions seeing Jaime on the Iron Throne with a bloody sword, but I guess that could have been from the pyromancer.

He definitely killed him with his sword:

"Jaime had slipped in through the King's door, clad in golden armor, sword in hand.

When Aerys saw the blood on the blade, he demanded to know if it was Tywin's.

A single slash across his throat was all it took to end it."

I don't recall anything about Jaime using a spear. Do you have a quote? It may have been someone speaking metaphorically.

B_2009,

In the script for HBO's pilot there's a quote that states that Jaime threw a spear on Aery's back. In fact, many commented that they didn't like the change and preferred the traditional "golden sword stained with blood". Perhaps you are missremembering?

It's claimed by Marwyn that the maesters were behind the dragons dying out. This is a claim, and not a verifiable fact. What is known for sure is that a large portion of the dragons were wiped out in the Dance of the Dragons, and that the last dragons left were weak and deformed. It was claimed that this condition was because Aegon Dragonsbane had them poisoned.

What's said generally speaking is that the Targaryen dragons tended to die in battle. Balerion the Black Dread, for example, was killed in the reign of Jaehaerys the Conciliator.

More of a nitpick than anything.

In one of Jon's early chapters in ACOK, it's mentioned that Castle Black would see 40 foot snow drifts when the north wind brought snow storms (hence the need for the tunnels). If the wind blew from the north, Castle Black would not be affected by it as they have a 700 foot tall barrier blocking that wind & snow. I'm no meteorologist or physicist, but I've seen how snow doesn't accumulate on the lee side of a building - and that's with open "sides" letting the wind swirl. The Wall doesn't have any openings for the wind to go around - just the top, which would make me think that a north wind (& snow) wouldn't touch the ground on the south side for a long ways. Now, a storm coming from the south, west, or east - I could see monumental drifting as it'll just keep piling against the Wall.

Anyway, I obviously didn't have anything else to think about this a.m. I'm not normally too anal about stuff like this, but I grew up on a farm & am pretty tuned into the way weather works (I know, I know - it's a fantasy book; the Earth's laws don't apply :lol: ).

Why _does_ Tyrion pour out the remaining wine in the chalice while Joffrey is dying? I've never understood his behavior there.

The only solution I can think of is that he expects to be accused of poisoning the wine and fears that someone will demand he drink the wine as proof of innocence.

(Yes, I know this is an old question. Thought I'd give it a go anyway).

Hey I was rereading AGOT and I got to Bran's coma-dream. He describes being back in winterfell and seeing a woman with dark hair. Any ideas on who that is supposed to be?

The serving woman who was standing in front of him when he woke up :P

Archived