Hookups

micswitch

Jaime/Brienne - makes a nice contrast to the monstrosity that was Jaime/Cersei. I do like the whole Beauty and the Beast thing they have going on, and I think Brienne is good for Jaime. She's loyal, kind, and hopefully not dead.

Sansa/Tyrion - Maybe they shouldn't end up together, but I think they can learn a lot from each other. Sansa is starting not to place such faith in looks, and Tyrion is realizing he can still be a bigger man than the rest of the Lannisters.

Willas/anyone - Willas sounds pretty nice from what we've heard, and I think he should find someone who won't care about his disabilities. He'll be the Lord of Highgarden, I don't understand why nobody seems to want to marry him!

Loras/anyone (altho I'd crackship Jaime/Loras, Gendry/Loras) - the poor kid just needs to move on. I hope (if he's still alive) he does find someone he can love like he did Renly. Is some happiness too much to ask, GGRM?! -_-

Jaime/Brienne - makes a nice contrast to the monstrosity that was Jaime/Cersei. I do like the whole Beauty and the Beast thing they have going on,

Name me just one thing that Jaime/Brienne have in common with Beauty and the Beast, other than their appearances? Just one? Anything at all?

:bang:

Name me just one thing that Jaime/Brienne have in common with Beauty and the Beast, other than their appearances? Just one? Anything at all?

People use that term in reference to appearance. It's like saying "Name how she's a redhead in one way, other than her appearance? Just one? Anything at all?" No one is alleging that there are talking tea kettles running around singing Disney tunes. (I'd make a reference to the original fairy tale, but I never read it.)

Errrr.....nope, can't think of anything. He's beautiful! She's a big 'ol beast! Though I definately ship them cos there's an undeniable emotional resonance between them, I'm confused about the Beauty and the Beast reference.

I think what then happens is that people see a beautiful person and a beastly person and go 1+1 = 2.

See: San/San, which gets the commonest "Beauty and the Beast" references. Their actual personalities? Not such a great match. She can't even stand up to LF, let alone someone as brutish and blunt as Sandor Clegane!

At least Jaime and Brienne both can stand up to each other fairly equally. And they're both great fighters. I'm undecided whether I want them to be in a relationship though, or if I just want them to have this amazing lifelong friendship - like a Bromance, except one of them isn't a Bro.

Sansa seemed to have substituted Jeyne for Arya, i.e. treating her like the "sister she never had."

I doubt they would hook up. What about Jeyne/Pod?

I was only joking (although admittedly it wasn't really funny)

I'm not implying they're like Disney characters, just that one's ugly and one's beautiful, simple as that. Way to read loads into a casual comment. The appearance was the point I was trying to make :rolleyes:

In appearance, Jaime and Brienne are Beauty and the Beast, reversed.

In personality and morality, they are Beauty and the Beast, period. She's the innocent maiden with golden heart and beautiful soul that manages to look behind the ugly face (a.k.a. the reputation of the immoral Kingslayer) and discover the goodness within.

Still... I don't ship them. Their story is powerful as it is. Involving romance in it would cheepen it somehow. "The things I do for love" once again, only this time his love requires of him to save children rather than throw them out of windows. That'd destroy his personal growth imo. Bromance is better for them.

Although Brienne (if she survives) deserves someone to love her.

btw The other adaptation of the Beauty and the Beast, a.k.a. SanSan, I find absolutely repulsive. As funny and charmingly cynical as Sandor is, he's a horrible, twisted creature. I understand why he is popular, but I still think he's one of the most overrated characters in the books.

Way to read loads into a casual comment. The appearance was the point I was trying to make :rolleyes:

Yeah, me too. And I think everyone else who ever used the term 'beauty and the beast' referring to San/San or Jaime/Brienne. I dont see anything to make it seem like we were talking about anything other than their looks.

What about Jeyne/Pod?

Cute. :P

See: San/San, which gets the commonest "Beauty and the Beast" references. Their actual personalities? Not such a great match. She can't even stand up to LF, let alone someone as brutish and blunt as Sandor Clegane!

Alpha males and timid soft-spoken women often have very successful relationships. If Sandor gets over his anger management issues with the monks, Sansa won't need to stand up to him. Provided that they both continue evolving the way they are, their personalities will soon be a good match in terms of deeper (not surface) qualities: Sandor wants a woman he can protect and who will inspire him to be a better person, and Sansa wants a traditionally masculine guy with integrity who will protect her. And, she won't mind that he doesn't have a sense of humor.

What I want to see:

Mel and Dolores Ed. (He needs a reason to smile. And after Stannis (and possibly Jon) she'll need a man with a sense of humor.)

Edric Storm and Shireen (Though if I'm correct in my assumptions, poor Shireen is not going to make it to puberty.)

Patchface and Selyse.

Cersei and Taena Merryweather (Once Cersei gets over her sexual issues, I think they'd be cute together. And unlike all of the other men in Cersei's life, (including Jaime, thankyouverymuch), Taena does not seem to want to dominate/ control Cersei in any way, sexually or otherwise.) So, it could work out.

Gilly and anybody but Samwell. (She could do so much better.)

Tysha and anybody but Tyrion (see the reason for Gilly, above.)

Sansa and Rhanda (I'm actually not joking here. I'd like this pairing for several reasons. First, I'm so sick of the hound/ Sansa cheesy cliched romance pairings {she'll heal his broken heart through pure sweetness! He'll usher her into the world of forbidden, rugged, adult pleasures through his virile manly parts!) I could vomit. Secondly, we've had numerous gay males, but no gay females, save clearly straight women participating in bi- curious antics clearly aimed to sexually titilate the male demographic, and inevitably deciding afterwards that no woman can please them as a man can. Thirdly, I honestly think it would be kinda cute... and it would be cool for Sansa to be gay. If you think about it, with the exception of her sexy dreams of kissing Sandor, all of her attraction to boys has been of the clearly pre-sexual, adolescent variety. And it would be cool if Sansa would actually deviate from the girly girl stereoptype in any way whatsoever. Never gonna happen, but I'd like it.)

Arya and anybody but Gendry (Seriously, this is as painfully obvious as the eventual Sansa/ hound pairing. Just as I suspect Sansa is going to end up married to Harry the heir while shagging Sandor on the side, I suspect that Arya is going to end up marrying Gendry, and being the Lady of Storm's End. But besides the painful obviousness of the situation, I also find Gendry to be possibly the most obnoxious "good" character in the entire series. Yes, even worse than Samwell.)

Brienne and ANYBODY BUT THE KINGSLAYER (for the hundreth time, Brienne could do sooooo much better. Hell, Hyle Hunt would be a step up.)

Gilly and anybody but Samwell. (She could do so much better.)

Brienne and ANYBODY BUT THE KINGSLAYER (for the hundreth time, Brienne could do sooooo much better. Hell, Hyle Hunt would be a step up.)

No they can't do better, at least not in Westerosi society. Gilly is a traumatized wildling with zero education, zero resources and a fatherless child. Sam's only major flaw is his obesity, and that's a tiny, tiny problem in her scheme of things. If the Night's Watch is disbanded at the end of the series, he will probably become a lord and marry her. Huge trade up.

Brienne is wayyy too ugly, weird, and challenging for most Westerosi guys, and now she's disfigured on top of everything else. She has a nice personality but that is simply not enough in this world. The only guy who will ever give her the time of day is someone who's majorly damaged goods.

No they can't do better, at least not in Westerosi society. Gilly is a traumatized wildling with zero education, zero resources and a fatherless child. Sam's only major flaw is his obesity, and that's a tiny, tiny problem in her scheme of things. If the Night's Watch is disbanded at the end of the series, he will probably become a lord and marry her. Huge trade up.

Obeisity, and the fact that he has absolutely no confidence in himself despite repeatedly proving his worth. Frankly, as a reader, that is getting exceedingly annoying. From Gilly's perspective, I can't imagine that it is much better.

Brienne is wayyy too ugly, weird, and challenging for most Westerosi guys, and now she's disfigured on top of everything else. She has a nice personality but that is simply not enough in this world. The only guy who will ever give her the time of day is someone who's majorly damaged goods.

I agree. In fact, I think Sam is the one who could do better. Especially if he got Horn Hill.

Obeisity, and the fact that he has absolutely no confidence in himself despite repeatedly proving his worth. Frankly, as a reader, that is getting exceedingly annoying. From Gilly's perspective, I can't imagine that it is much better.

These are major turnoffs to women in affluent Western societies who have the social and economic power that permits them to be picky, but women in poor or dangerous societies in the real world are significantly less picky. All they care about is (a) will this guy keep me safe?, (B) will he support me?, and © will he be nice to me? Sam is a catch for someone in Gilly's position. And the fact is that lots of thin women have no problem marrying overweight guys.

The lack of confidence is unfortunate but Gilly is so lacking in that department herself that she probably doesn't even notice.

Arya and anybody but Gendry (Seriously, this is as painfully obvious as the eventual Sansa/ hound pairing. Just as I suspect Sansa is going to end up married to Harry the heir while shagging Sandor on the side, I suspect that Arya is going to end up marrying Gendry, and being the Lady of Storm's End. But besides the painful obviousness of the situation, I also find Gendry to be possibly the most obnoxious "good" character in the entire series. Yes, even worse than Samwell.)

I'm ok with Arya being the Lady of Storm's End, but I think there's very little to no chance Gendry is going to be the Lord of it. He's a good person and a knight now and he might have picked up some skills from Beric during his time with BWB, but he has no formal education, isn't a recognized bastard (no matter how much he looks like a Baratheon) and nobles are just not going to follow him, a former blacksmith, if they could have someone else. Edric (recognized, raised at Storm's End, fully educated) would be better for the job if both Stannis and Shireen die and someone needs to continue the Baratheon line. Even Mya would be a slightly better pick than Gendry, since it's common knowledge that she's Robert's, in the Vale there might even be people who have seen them together, he talked about bringing her to court, she spent her whole life around nobles so she'd know how they work better than Gendry, etc. But of course, she's a girl and worked with mules, so it's only slightly.

Archived