What are you reading?

Luzifer's right hand

Yeah, I realize now that I'll never read all of the books I own. I think I might enjoy buying books more than reading them. Or maybe it's just my reading speed can't keep up. I ordered 25 books from Amazon this summer (gotta love mileage checks from work), and I think I've only read 4 or 5 so far. That didn't stop me from ordering a bunch more from Clarkesworld last month around my birthday. Considering my total books read for this year will be I think 26, that hole is just going to get bigger and bigger. Not to mention that I have a list of 50 or so books I want to take out of the library. I just look at it as I'll always have a good selection to chose from when I need a book. (Sometimes too good, and I can't decide what to read next)

Currently reading Diana Gabaldon's A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I'm 300 pages in and still wondering what the major plot is. So far the story seems to be wandering from incident to incident. Can someone please tell me that it gets better before I give up and take it back to the library?!?!

I'm also almost finished rereading AGOT, but since I requested the above book and only have 3 weeks to read it (no renewals on requests) I had to slow down my ASOIAF reread.

Just finished the first book of Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series, The Dragonbone Chair. The book reminds me of ASoIaF in many ways, so much so that I'd almost describe it as Martin's series written as a much more formulaic high fantasy. Take some of Martin's elements - European medieval setting, war between contenders for the throne, supernatural evil invading from the north - and then add the all-important Peasant Hero, the Probable Love Interest Who Just So Happens To Be A Princess, and the Epic Quest For One Or More Magical Objects. Then subtract a good portion of the cast of characters, most of the exotic locales, and nearly all of the complex politics to seal the deal. In any case, it's looking to be a pretty good series, even if some of the cliches make me cringe now and again. The protagonist, Simon, may not be terribly interesting, but the two brothers fighting for the kingdom, Josua and Elias, are wonderfully deep and complex. Josua especially. And the Sithi are perhaps the most intriguing portrayal of a non-human race I've ever seen in a fantasy novel.

I just finished Bernard Cornwell's A Crowning Mercy, Fallen Angels and then the Pale Horseman.

All of them were pretty good historical fiction, though I found that Fallen Angels was not such a good sequel to A Crowning Mercy. For some wierd reason, I just found that there was a lack of connectivity and I seemed to get this stupid vibe that Christopher Skavadale from Fallen Angels (The Gypsy) was actually another descendent of Kit Aretine...

Pale Horseman was a good story though, the introduction of the girl that sees the future was pseudo-fantasy I suppose.

As I'm making my way through Tobias Buckell's forthcoming Crystal Rain, I just received another book that on my 2006 most wanted list, Daniel Abraham's A Shadow in Summer, the first book in The Long Price Quartet - really been looking forward to this seies.

GRRM had great thing to say about it from the blurbage:

"he tells their stories in an elegant style that reminded me by turns of Gene Wolfe, Jack Vance, and M. John Harrison"
-GRRM

He invoked MJH and Wolfe! :) Huge expectations.

Diablo,

Interesting stuff about Memory, sorrow and Thorn, keep us up to date about the your thoughts on the following books.

Jay,

Any early thoughts on Crystal Rain? What sort of story is it and how well are you liking it sofar?

I'm currently reading a book that, as far as I can tell, is pretty much universally loved, that being Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett. Unfortunately I'm not enjoying it at all. Possibly it's just not my kind of humour, but I find it all very lame sofar. I'm sticking with it though, and hopefully it picks up. I'm not expecting much in the way of plot but at least it should be hilarious. My previous experience with the authors is mixed, I liked American Gods a lot and thought that Gaiman showed some serious wit there, but the one Pratchett book that I tried was not to my taste.

Archived