What are you reading?

Luzifer's right hand

Recently I have been able to make some headway through a recent newly released, Tolkein companion called The Lord of The Rings: A Reader Companion by Tolkien scholars Wayne G. Hammond and Christian Scull. At first it wasnt peaking my interest but as I make my way through it some more (almost 900 pages), I'm covinced this is essential reading for Tolkien fas/scholars. Definitely a must for fans of the HoME editions and Carpernter's various Tolkien related releases.

I also want to get back to Dusk by Tim Lebbon for a moment , (which I recently finsihed and have a review in the works). First, I'm a fan of some of Lebbon's prior works, I think he is talented author, and when I heard he was writing a more classical fantasy duology, I immiediately requested a review copy, but I can't say I came away from Dusk with the idea that I just read a great fantasy effort, and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. It's not bad, mind you, but not what I was expecting. Anyway, I will probably have a lengthy review this week sometime.

The Duchess of Malfi: Seven Masterpieces of Jacobean Drama:

Just finished A Woman Killed With Kindness and now into Volpone.

Damn I love the Jacobean era. :cheers:

Kokoro by Natsume Soseki:

Somewhat hard to get into. I think I apprciate Japanese poetry and cinema more than Japanese novels. I've read a few of them and I have yet to find one I truly enjoy. Although I liked The Temple of the Golden Pavilion a bit. Maybe I should read more Mishima... :unsure:

Reading the Dylan Bio "Chronicles" Interesting, funny but as usual he gives very little away about Himself, but what the hell, his music speaks in every tounge for him.

In fantasy, have started a reread of the Thomas Covenant series.

I just started on Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Due to its length and my desire to do other things than read, I suspect I won't finish it until the end of December.

I started this on 10th November and am still only just over half way through. It's not unpleasant - in fact I'd describe it as mildly diverting. But it's a long way from riveting. It doesn't entice me to go to bed early so I can read it. I read it because it's better than nothing, but I don't usually read for more than 15 mins or so, and don't even feel compelled to finish the chapter. I'm sure I stop half way through a sentence sometimes, and just stick the bookmark in and turn over on the pillow to think of more entertaining things. :P Some days I just take one look at the size of it and decide to give it a miss. The book I mean.

It's perfectly readable, and has some interesting ideas, intriguing descriptions, authentic dialogue, some mild mysteries, and quite a lot of understated humour, but so far I have found nothing to grab me. Ah well, I still have quite a bit more to read, so maybe I will feel differently by the end. I'll be interested to hear how you find it.

Just polished off The Curse of Chalion by Bujold, which was very entertaining. Great characters, well-paced plotting, and on the whole a nicely intelligent novel. Perhaps a tad too much coincidence and contrivance, and a couple parts where the infodumping got a little out of hand, but that's about it for complaints of my part. Loved it.

jAX

yup, thats the one. I enjoyed that one better than the one on the 10th. Both are good books, but for some reason the one on the 14th came off as easier to get into

He has one coming out on the 6th legion (Cleopatras Kidnappers).....ill surly try that one as well

LadySnow, ever tried Haruki Murakami? He has became one of my favorite main-stream-lit authors, even if no other japanese novelists really clicked for me.

Finally read, and it has taken me long Mary Renault´s The Last of the Wine. I bought a very cheap copy with a very bad cover years ago, it has taken me ages to read and while reading it, been reading it for almost two weeks, in between other things. And it´s absolutely wonderful, coming of age, war between Athens and Sparta, Socrates and Alcibiades, Plato and Euripides ( ok, just mentioned and when he was very old). She is so brilliant at bringing alive a culture which is so different from ours and make it believable and compelling and even when showing things from the PoV of some character, she can give you modern insights into the poV of othercharacters without them being anachronistic or part of the PoV of the main character. This does not make any sense, I am talking about women and infanticide here. Somehow it was not an easy book for me to read, a lot of it is pretty grim war and Renault´s style is so clear but also remote, but oh was it brilliant.

And I have been reading this Marvel comics series for teens, Runaways which I just love. It´s snappy and cute and fun, and cheap paperbacks, maybe even a bit manga crossed over with american comics - I love some european BD crossed with manga comics ( WITCH, Monster Allergy), it´s fun to see this US version.

Just finished Trujillo by Lucius Shepard, the novel not the collection. As solid as all of his that I've read. He's consistently good. I got that and Enternity and Other Stories from Clarkesworld, so I'm sure I'll dip into that collection soon. Also got Kelly Link's Magic For Beginners and Holly Phillips' "In the Palace of Repose" (thanks for the review Jay) from the library. Guess I'm in a short story mood now.

Also partly through "Heroes Die" by Stover. About 160 pages in and underwhelmed so far. The fights are good and gritty, and the plot's not bad, but the world he's created seems like a video game. Seems like there's no real explanation for the parallel fantasy world in the book. Can anyone tell me, without spoiling it, if there is a good explanation for that parallel world. I want to give it a chance since I've heard good things, but kind of stalled out right now.

I started this on 10th November and am still only just over half way through. It's not unpleasant - in fact I'd describe it as mildly diverting. But it's a long way from riveting. It doesn't entice me to go to bed early so I can read it. I read it because it's better than nothing, but I don't usually read for more than 15 mins or so, and don't even feel compelled to finish the chapter. I'm sure I stop half way through a sentence sometimes, and just stick the bookmark in and turn over on the pillow to think of more entertaining things. :P Some days I just take one look at the size of it and decide to give it a miss. The book I mean.

It's perfectly readable, and has some interesting ideas, intriguing descriptions, authentic dialogue, some mild mysteries, and quite a lot of understated humour, but so far I have found nothing to grab me. Ah well, I still have quite a bit more to read, so maybe I will feel differently by the end. I'll be interested to hear how you find it.

Sophie I am in total agreement.

I just don't get how people have been blown away by this and profess it to be one of the books of last year. I am afraid it did not pick up for me but I couldn't bring myself to put it aside.

chemistry notes..... :P

but after exams, im treating myself to children of the serpent gate, book 3 in the tears of artamon series by Sarah Ash, it's pretty good, with a kind of Russian folklore base.

also planning on getting Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens...they're both awesome writers, so this collaborative effort should be good!

Archived