A Brand New MMA Thread

Oorag

Looks like the old MMA thread was shut down. Time for a new one?

To start things off, Sherdog just gave a run-down of all the problems plaguing EliteXC. I didn't realize the promotion was in such hot water, but when you add it all up, it makes for a big headache. Heavyweight champ Antonio Silva tested positive for steroids, welterweight champ Jake Shields is getting itchy feet, and lightweight champ KJ Noons is feuding with management. I still don't know where I stand on EliteXC. It's free MMA, and their last show cut out a lot of what I hated about their first show, but they're still a B-league and I'm not very interested in women's mma. Here's the link:

[url="http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/elitexcs-impending-doom-averted-for-now-14140"]http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/elite...d-for-now-14140[/url]

[quote]Hopefully Fedor doesn't break his other hand on this guy's face.[/quote]

Speaking of this, I was wondering today why more MMA fighters aren't at least trying out for their respective olympic teams for wrestling and judo? As far as upping the profile of the sport, you'd think the UFC would encourage it. Matt Hughes and Randy Coture were that kind of caliber wrestlers before MMA right?

GSP was in training for the Canadian wrestling trials until the Matt Serra injury and then he immediately accepted the match with Hughes. There's a good chance that he'd have made the team despite his relative inexperience but I doubt that he would have medaled.

Plus there are a few females that I've heard who will definitely compete in MMA. Rhonda Rousey won a bronze for Judo for the US and Clarissa Chun competed on the US women's wrestling team but I don't know how she did.

[quote name='Tormund Midgetsbane' post='1491189' date='Aug 22 2008, 21.10']Speaking of this, I was wondering today why more MMA fighters aren't at least trying out for their respective olympic teams for wrestling and judo? As far as upping the profile of the sport, you'd think the UFC would encourage it. Matt Hughes and Randy Coture were that kind of caliber wrestlers before MMA right?[/quote]

Is it worth letting your other skills get rusty and not getting paid for MMA fights while you train and compete for long enough to qualify and get to the Olympics. Especially when they are probably all long shots for a medal. I would guess not.

[quote name='Tormund Midgetsbane' post='1491189' date='Aug 22 2008, 13.10']Speaking of this, I was wondering today why more MMA fighters aren't at least trying out for their respective olympic teams for wrestling and judo? As far as upping the profile of the sport, you'd think the UFC would encourage it. Matt Hughes and Randy Coture were that kind of caliber wrestlers before MMA right?[/quote]
IIRC Couture only ever made it as an Olympic alternate, and that was before he had to dedicate a lot of his training to disciplines other than wrestling.

[quote name='benderschweiz' post='1492655' date='Aug 24 2008, 09.35']That Affliction II card has turned rotten recently. Lindland vs. Prangley was just added and at this point only the main event looks like a decent fight. I wish Pro Elite would fold so Affliction could add some of their fighters and get a little depth.[/quote]
There have been many rumors of Pro-Elite fighters being loaned to Affliction cards, like Jake Shields or Gilbert Melendez. I'm actually pretty sure that Affliction would prefer for Pro-Elite to stay in business so that they might have access to thier fighters without having to spend the money to sign them.

[quote name='Horus - Spider Silva' post='1492763' date='Aug 24 2008, 12.58']There have been many rumors of Pro-Elite fighters being loaned to Affliction cards, like Jake Shields or Gilbert Melendez. I'm actually pretty sure that Affliction would prefer for Pro-Elite to stay in business so that they might have access to thier fighters without having to spend the money to sign them.[/quote]

I was hoping Affliction could manage to get Shields for the Lindland fight. With a little cross promotion their combined MW division would be pretty stacked. Le, Shamrock, Lindland, Belfort, and perhaps Shields...

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1492960' date='Aug 24 2008, 15.57']It'd be nice to have Affliction purchase EliteXC. They could really put some killer cards on NBC.[/quote]
If it ever comes to it and Elite XC has to sell, there is no way that Affliction can allow the UFC to beat them to the punch if they're serious about being that other competitor. They have the money to do it, that's for sure. And with the CBS and Showtime partnerships that would come with better fighters and better promotion, that would be an opportunity too golden for them to miss.

Elite XC has purchased more for less reason.

Ken lost his last five fights in the first round, most recently to a 12-8 Cage Rage fighter. However, I'm sure the guy will come to fight. Unless Shamrock's in debt to the mob, I don't think he'd keep putting himself through that kind of abuse just for paychecks, and not very big paychecks if he's been fighting no-names in Cage Rage. Shamrock would love to be the guy to kill EXC's golden goose before Rogers does it for them.

Ken can't beat his own shadow at this point. It's like I said after the Cantrell fight, just because a guy is a legit MMA fighter doesn't mean he's any good. It just means he's earning paychecks. Ken was once great, but he can't beat too many bad fighters these days and he won't beat Kimbo, that's why Elite XC picked him. He has gravitas and is a name and a face in MMA but is just as beatable as Sean Gannon.

[url="http://www.mmabay.co.uk/"]http://www.mmabay.co.uk/[/url]

Apparently Randy is back to training for a fight at Xtreme Couture. Kind of strange if it turns out to be true. I guess if Randy is looking for a big payday a fight with Lesnar might net him more than one with Fedor if he pulls a percentage of PPV buys, or maybe he's just trying to finish out the contract.

I doubt it too, but I think a Couture vs. Lesnar card would end up with the most buys ever for a UFC PPV. They could do Randy vs. Lesnar for interim and continue with Nog. vs. Mir for the title. Then Randy/Lesnar vs. Nog (no way is Mir going to win this one). After that fight Randy would be out of the contract...doubt he'd have the belt after two bad match-ups in my opinion.

Nog is the interim champion. Randy is still the official champion. Unless UFC are about to announce signing Fedor I seriously doubt this story. More likely that Randy is hoping to fight on Affliction 2 as a warm up to a Fedor fight going head to head against GSP vs BJ on 31st January. Which begs the question, if you could only watch one which one would it be?

[quote name='Barryiah Faber' post='1497902' date='Aug 28 2008, 08.28']Which begs the question, if you could only watch one which one would it be?[/quote]

GSP vs. BJ, hands down.

Archived