A Brand New MMA Thread

Oorag

[quote name='childe roland' post='1542882' date='Oct 4 2008, 15.42']the night for me is highlighted by those i want to lose. would love to see kimbo lose and i would love to see shields lose also.[/quote]

I'm hearing rumors that Shamrock-Kimbo might not happen tonight, because Shamrock got cut during training... hope that's not the case.

[url="http://www.worldofcombat.net/gina-carano-vs-kelly-kobold-video.html"]http://www.worldofcombat.net/gina-carano-v...bold-video.html[/url]

As soon as I heard about the replacement I was texting my buddies saying that Kimbo might lose this.

I was shocked that they still put him in against a fighter with Petruzelli's pedigree. Karate practitioner which means good standup, and probably more technical than Kimbo's. They were probably hoping that Kimbo's size advantage would make a difference, but we saw what we saw. Great win for Petruzelli. They better hope that people were intrigued by all of the Fedor commercials bc thier golden goose has been damaged. None the less the spin after the fight for Kimbo was like watching the GOP trying to explain Sarah Palin. They may be able to talk their way out of this one yet.

I'm bracing myself for the MMA communities long awaited Kimbo-bashing on Sherdog. It's gotta be mayhem there.

I might add that this might be a good time to feed him to Fedor.

[quote name='Barryiah Faber' post='1533227' date='Sep 26 2008, 17.31']So you can think if a better way of getting Fedor a win in front of an American audience than him fighting Kimbo on CBS? I'm intrigued. Please share.

The way I see it is they face Kimbo losing to another nobody or they face him losing to Fedor who can actually claim to be the best in the world. He is going to lose. Who would you rather he lost to? It is not a magic trick that will suddenly get Fedor over but it is a big step in the right direction.

Also, what the hell does the way Kimbo is marketed got to do with it? Have they got one marketing man with one idea? Get Fedor some heat and market him as Ivan Drago, the heat is the tricky part.

Anderson's drawing power is hard to judge due to the dearth of marketable fighters for him to face but I would agree. Then let's look at who he is up against, has the UFC ever had so many marketable champions? It shows that Joe Silve is very good at his job.[/quote]
This post becomes rather prophetic now. I still think that they should have tried to string it out though. Where they messed up was that Ken dropping out forced them to replace him with a younger, better fighter. They had no choice, people tuned in to see Kimbo and they had to deliver. They had no contingency, but who would have thought that Ken would get himself hurt on the night of the fight. They could have coaxed his record for another 5 to 7 fights (there are alot of bad MMA fighters in the world) and then given him to Fedor. But noone could have predicted what happened to Shamrock. That was an easy win for Kimbo and when he dropped out you could see the look on Kimbo's face and in his voice in the pre-fight interview,... he was in trouble. I think that they may have seriously considered not accepting the fight but I don't think that Kimbo wanted that. Elite has two choices now; first set up the Carano-Cyborg fight now, and give Kimbo to Fedor before he drops another one.

Another point, women should not be forced to fight only 3 minute rounds. It's also too bad that there aren't too many good female fighters at 145 and 150. That should be Gina's weight class.

Sheilds showed one major weakness last night in that his gnp is pretty ineffective. Paul Daily was smiling at him. He knew that he couldn't stand with Daily either or he might have gotten knocked out. Some real weaknesses in his game. His jujitsu skills carried the day, but he really needs to get some power in his punches.

Andrei Arlovsky looked really good yesterday in his standup. He's showing good skills. His groundgame could use some work, I wonder how much he trains it these days with all of the work that he's putting in with Roach. I know he wants to box and with Affliction he will definitely get that chance on a GoldenBoy card, but he needs to keep at his bread and butter bc that's what will pay the bills if this boxing thing falls through. His kicks are still sharp though.

[quote name='childe roland' post='1543071' date='Oct 4 2008, 20.43']got half my wish tonight. where is kimbo's chin and someone get him off the ref please. shields is solid on the ground but has no stand up whatsoever at least he didn't call out gsp tonight[/quote]
I don't get why you wanted to see Kimbo lose. By all accounts, he seems like a likable but painfully media-shy guy. It's not his fault EliteXC promoted him as a top 10 HW, and I don't blame him whatsoever for trying to cash in on his youtube notoriety. The shelf life of an MMA fighter is extremely short, especially so for a 34 year old.

I've been supportive of Kimbo since he first started serious MMA training with Bas, but if his fight with Thompson hasn't exposed him, this fight surely did. I need to see a replay, but I didn't even see the punch that floored him. It couldn't have been that little right jab, could it?

Shields really needs to work on his standup and GNP. Why is it that all the fighters that come out of the Cesar Gracie camp have that pillow-punching style? Nick and Nate, Jake....

I'm glad Arlovski won, but standing them up when Nelson had side control is ridiculous. Where do they get these refs?

Overall, a decent show. I was always a fan of Mauro in the PRIDE days despite his occasional blustery outbursts, but he was pretty annoying last night. I like Gus Johnson a lot, but he still needs some work. Was snickering when one fighter was in rubber guard, and he called it a triangle attempt.

[quote name='BJ Penn' post='1543953' date='Oct 6 2008, 02.34']I don't get why you wanted to see Kimbo lose. By all accounts, he seems like a likable but painfully media-shy guy. It's not his fault EliteXC promoted him as a top 10 HW, and I don't blame him whatsoever for trying to cash in on his youtube notoriety. The shelf life of an MMA fighter is extremely short, especially so for a 34 year old.[/quote]I don't get it either. Even Kevin Iole defended him, which says something for his journalistic integrity,... which I had thought was gone forever. Kimbo is a good guy just trying to feed his family. I don't even blame him for asking for a payhike to take a different fighter. ANYONE in the fight game going back has done this That's why you sign bout agreements. Rarely does the actual ba say "me vs 'fill-in-the-blank'".

[quote name='BJ Penn' post='1543953' date='Oct 6 2008, 02.34']Shields really needs to work on his standup and GNP. Why is it that all the fighters that come out of the Cesar Gracie camp have that pillow-punching style? Nick and Nate, Jake....[/quote]This is a serious question for a groundfighter like Shields since you can't submit everybody. Could he really expect to beat guys like Thiago Alves, Fitch, Diego Sanchez, GSP, or even move up and beat Linland or Lawler if he can't apply any damage from dominant ground positions? He ain't submitting any of those guy,... well maybe Lawler. He's gotta figure out if it was just what Daily was doing on the bottom in defense or truly a lack of ability to hurt his opponent.

[quote name='BJ Penn' post='1543953' date='Oct 6 2008, 03.34']I need to see a replay, but I didn't even see the punch that floored him. It couldn't have been that little right jab, could it?[/quote]

Well it was a right...I dont know if you'd call it a jab or not. Funny thing is that during the post fight interviews, Petruzelli said he didnt he think that punch caught him flush or that it didnt feel flush to him.

Im curious if he'll go back to the gym and train harder or just simply cash out at this point.

Wierd if Silverback didn't hit Kimbo flush. I wouldn't have thought his chin was the suspect part of his game. Strange.

I'm probably the only assehole here hasn't seen the card yet. Read all about it. Got no cable now. Buddy of mine taped it but I won't see him for a while. Sounds like it was a good show.

B.J., Nick's game didn't look too much like 'pillow punching' in that last fight against Thomas 'Wildman' Denning. That guy's game but Nick hit him with real good shots. They actually looked powerful. He beat him down! Pillow punching seemed to work for him in that old Lawler fight. I loved that fight and thought in their pre fight shit talk Dego Sanchez's comment that he got a 'lucky punch' on lawler was just absurd. Pillow punchers don't have lucky one punch ko's. Point is, I think it's an energy conservation gameplan. Don't blow your wad, keep peppering him until something opens up, and when it's there THEN hit him with something that actually hurts. I dunno, just trying to explain what that Gracie camp might be up to.

my problem is not really with kimbo but with all the hypesurrounding kimbo. i have no problem whatsoever with him cashing in. but when he becomes the face of the sport then i have a problem. So i guess my real problem is with Elite XC trying to convince me this man is an elite fighter when in reality peoplewho follow sport know he was just a side show with very limited skills.

[quote name='BJ Penn' post='1543953' date='Oct 6 2008, 00.34']Overall, a decent show. I was always a fan of Mauro in the PRIDE days despite his occasional blustery outbursts, but he was pretty annoying last night. I like Gus Johnson a lot, but he still needs some work. Was snickering when one fighter was in rubber guard, and he called it a triangle attempt.[/quote]
I don't know if I heard it right but it sounded like Mauro was saying it was "unsportsmanlike" when Kobold was foot stomping Carano. If that's what he said, then that's utter bullshit, and he loses any respect I still might have had for him.

Kimbo vs Houston needs to happen now. The problem I see with Kimbo is that he doesn't seem to be improving anything. He has made those lunging attacks while off balance before and this time he got caught. There is obviously a place for him in the sport but hopefully the hyperbole will die down now. I would rather he had won a few more fights first because he was bringing attention to the sport.

I was quite happy with how Paul Daley went. We don't have any elite level fighters in the UK as we have tiny grappling infrastructure which is putting all these guys at a disadvantage. As long as Daley and Bisping can compete at a decent level however, and hope fully Al Turk, then it will pave the way for the younger fighters who are starting to learn MMA from scratch rather than converting from striking.

Anybody watching TUF? This season has been pretty good so far. Last week Ryan Bader delivered one of the most devastating strikes to a grounded opponent I have ever seen. My money is on him to win the contract.

What the hell is going on with Junie though? I sorta liked him to start (the "Beat me? *scoffs* He has a better chance of getting me pregnant" was great IMO) but now he has just gone to far. It interesting how Dana's opinions on when someone should get kicked off the show change depending on who is causing the trouble. Junie must be pretty talented or he would have been gone long ago.

ETA : I love how Dana came into the house the day after a big UFC show, with his voice all raspy and obviously hung over. He didn't have any "Do you want to be a fscking fighter?" speeches in him.

I forgot that those antic were on the night of UFC 84. I thought Dana was just sick. Funny, I was there in Vegas that night.

Anyway, as much as Dana claims to have made his decision by gut instinct, I'm pretty sure it was perfectly calculated. Kicking two more fighters off the show would have done even more damage to the contest format, which has already suffered several subsitutions. Obnoxious fighters also makes for better TV, which is the real reason why they get a pantry overflowing with booze. Also, it will look better for the UFC if the fighters clean up their acts in front of the cameras, rather than simply flame out and leave. Judging by the end of last night's episode, howver, Junie might not get that chance.

[quote name='Oorag' post='1549955' date='Oct 9 2008, 16.13']I forgot that those antic were on the night of UFC 84. I thought Dana was just sick. Funny, I was there in Vegas that night.

Anyway, as much as Dana claims to have made his decision by gut instinct, I'm pretty sure it was perfectly calculated. Kicking two more fighters off the show would have done even more damage to the contest format, which has already suffered several subsitutions. Obnoxious fighters also makes for better TV, which is the real reason why they get a pantry overflowing with booze. Also, it will look better for the UFC if the fighters clean up their acts in front of the cameras, rather than simply flame out and leave. Judging by the end of last night's episode, howver, Junie might not get that chance.[/quote]

In the first episode Dana says to Mir and Nog that Junie is really good, and at the try outs he asked Dana "How do you want me to finish him boss?" Dana said "Triangle Choke", and Junie went out there and finished him with the Triangle. Then Dana said "I love this guy!" It doesn't surprise me that Dana will cut him A LOT of slack. Even with the antics in the last episode I'm guessing that Junie stays around.

[quote name='Barryck Obama' post='1545701' date='Oct 7 2008, 05.11']I was quite happy with how Paul Daley went. We don't have any elite level fighters in the UK as we have tiny grappling infrastructure which is putting all these guys at a disadvantage. As long as Daley and Bisping can compete at a decent level however, and hope fully Al Turk, then it will pave the way for the younger fighters who are starting to learn MMA from scratch rather than converting from striking.[/quote]
This is interesting since Dutch MMA seems to be exploding right now with Mousasi, Hellboy, and Manhoef all showing thier skills. I know that they're different countries, but it should be relatively easy for a camp like Wolfslair, now that they're a major fightteam, to attract some fighters from Holland to round out their gym and provide ample experienced and talented training partners for local UK fighters to grow with. It would be a hell of alot easier than attracting American fighters who might not want to travel to Europe all the time.

[url="http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Video%20DanaWhiteslamsEliteXC.html"]Tell us how you really feel Dana[/url]

Apparently Dana is very disappointed in the rumors that EliteXC offered a bonus to Seth if he stood up with Kimbo. Or in his own words :

"We've been busting our asses to show the world what a great sport MMA is and these scumbags from boxing come in and start fixing fights?"

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1552283' date='Oct 11 2008, 11.56'][url="http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Video%20DanaWhiteslamsEliteXC.html"]Tell us how you really feel Dana[/url]

Apparently Dana is very disappointed in the rumors that EliteXC offered a bonus to Seth if he stood up with Kimbo. Or in his own words :

"We've been busting our asses to show the world what a great sport MMA is and these scumbags from boxing come in and start fixing fights?"[/quote]

dana is a bit of an a-hole but damn he's entertaining and in this case i agree with him

Archived