A Brand New MMA Thread

Oorag

[quote name='Ser Barry' post='1569799' date='Oct 28 2008, 04.57']Any chance Silva was cautious about Cote's power?[/quote]
Leben had power but no technical prowess. Cote has both and Silva usually starts all of his fights cautiously. Go back and look at each of his fights and you'll see. He rarely takes foolish chances and builds much of his sucess on either capitalizing on his opponents misplaced aggression and mistakes or he gets the clinch early. Cote was confident, but he wasn't guilty of overcommitting to his attack.
[quote name='benderschweiz' post='1569605' date='Oct 27 2008, 21.47']I did think that Silva hit Cote with a couple shots that would have stopped most guys and was impressed with Cote's chin. Anderson was clearly toying with him most of the fight though. To bad the UFC will probably give Cote another shot now...it's really not worth using another of Silva's remaining fights on. I'd rather see rematches with Okami and Hendo first. The GSP fight would be cool too, though he might not have a belt after BJ and the Alves fight at 170 is looking great now too.[/quote]
From what I hear Zuffa's not in any rush to put this fight together. Remember that it was just months ago that we were saying the same thing about Rampage/Griffin, for more reason. Had Cote taken a round from Silva it might be different, but I don't think that they think that this is a fight that they wanna go through the difficulty of trying to promote twice in a row.

In other news. [b][url="http://www.impactwrestling.com/Content.aspx?ID=21486"]The most shocking news in MMA history has occured[/url].[/b] DW [i]actually[/i] compliments another promotion in Strikeforce

[quote name='Ser Barry' post='1569799' date='Oct 27 2008, 23.57']Any chance Silva was cautious about Cote's power?[/quote]
Does anyone here really think Cote has more KO power than a Leben, Hendo, or even Franklin? I know I don't.

[quote name='Horus-Eternal' post='1569893' date='Oct 28 2008, 01.57']Leben had power but no technical prowess. Cote has both and Silva usually starts all of his fights cautiously. Go back and look at each of his fights and you'll see. He rarely takes foolish chances and builds much of his sucess on either capitalizing on his opponents misplaced aggression and mistakes or he gets the clinch early. Cote was confident, but he wasn't guilty of overcommitting to his attack.[/quote]
Anderson starts all his fights cautiously, sure. But as Rogan loves to point out, he usually sizes his opponent up and gets their timing down in the first minute, then he attacks. He doesn't spend 10 minutes prancing around, switching stances and throwing out Bruce Lee hand movements and Ali shuffles.

To me, like bender said, it seemed clear he was just toying with Cote. But I don't mean to belittle what Cote did. He did do better and last longer than anyone else has against Silva in the UFC. I just happen to think it's because Silva had no doubt he could put him away when he wanted to, and so didn't take it as seriously. Obviously he could've still gotten caught.

Silva has [url="http://sherdog.com/news/news/silva-on-disrespecting-cote-absolutely-not-true-14938"]explained his strategy [/url]for the fight to sherdog:
[quote]My game plan since the beginning was fight five rounds, inducing him to commit mistakes and capitalize on that during the first three rounds and look for the knockout during the fourth and fifth rounds. It was working, and the biggest proof of that is that I almost didn’t waste any blows. I connected with a couple of good punches and knees, but unfortunately he got hurt and the fight was over. This is not my fault.[/quote]
That makes sense to me, from what I've seen of Silva and fighting in general. Conserving your energy in the opening rounds and then exploding in the later rounds is a pretty common strategy. To me it looked like Silva was was toying with Cote during those first two rounds. He was landing some shots, avoiding damage, and winning rounds. If Cote hadn't gotten injured, I don't really doubt that Silva would have exploded in the later rounds. He would have been fairly fresh, while Cote would be bruised up and desperate. I think it's a bit unfair to expect Silva to go for the jugular immediately everey time. He gets fast KOs, but he's also survived some sticky situations. He's not immortal and he didn't get to the top by being recklessly courageous.

People who criticize him for this outing cannot have analized his fights that closely bc that same dynamic has always been there. Some of the punches and knees that he did connect with are of the type that stagger his opponents and get the ball rolling. At the point in the fight where the injury happened he simply hadn't had that type of opening yet. But make no mistake, he has never been the type of fighter who goes in windmilling recklessly. Some people may think that that is the case because of how he wins, but he has a high connection percentage bc he waits for openings and picks his strikes.

There is a big difference between picking your strikes and deliberately giving up top position against a fighter over whom you have a massive advantage on the ground. That was what smacked of arrogance. I would also suggest that it is pretty tough to find a hole while prancing around ten feet away. I don't think he looked methodical, I think he looked flashy. Yes he would have won but against Cote an accumulation of strikes is surely a better gameplan than hoping for a single shot when he gets tired when you haven't been making him work hard. Cote was not chasing Silva and wasting energy which makes a bit of a mockery of his supposed gameplan. I aint buying what he is selling.

[quote name='Ser Barry' post='1570686' date='Oct 28 2008, 16.58']Cote was not chasing Silva and wasting energy which makes a bit of a mockery of his supposed gameplan. I aint buying what he is selling.[/quote]
...There you go.

Silva's second-fastest finish was against Chris Leben, who chased him from the outset with sloppy punches. Read Mike Chiappetta's article on NBC Sports.com on the situation because he seems to be very much in agreement with me. Silva is partially a counterpuncher against striking opponents. Now he will show more of a tendancy to engage against groundfighters who he knows can't hurt him. As far as giving up position on the ground, it's not like he gave up side-control, he was in Cote's guard which (especially if you are not a ground-first fighter) isn't the most optimal position from an offensive standpoint.

[quote name='Horus-Eternal' post='1570681' date='Oct 28 2008, 11.53']But make no mistake, he has never been the type of fighter who goes in windmilling recklessly. Some people may think that that is the case because of how he wins, but he has a high connection percentage bc he waits for openings and picks his strikes.[/quote]
I don't know a single person who thinks that he's a "windmilling recklessly" type of fighter. Never even heard a whiff of anyone saying, writing or hinting that. He's pretty much known for the precision and accuracy of his strikes. Or as Goldie puts it, "His precision is so... precise!"

[quote name='Horus-Eternal' post='1570763' date='Oct 28 2008, 13.11']As far as giving up position on the ground, it's not like he gave up side-control, he was in Cote's guard which (especially if you are not a ground-first fighter) isn't the most optimal position from an offensive standpoint.[/quote]
He's a black belt under Big Nog. Going to the ground may not be his first option, but he should've taken advantage of it facing someone with far less BJJ skills. And I believe he would have, if he felt truly threatened by Cote. Which I don't believe he did.

I'm a huge Anderson fan, and in awe of his physical skills and normally humble demeanor, but I'm with Ser Barry on this: the way he acted during that fight was more bling than bang, more style than substance. He wouldn't have dared done those exaggerated gestures and Ali foot shuffles against someone like Hendo, who would've knocked him to next Sunday if he tried that. But he knew he could get away with it against Cote.

Anyways, that's my take on it.

I don't think he was taunting him? I felt like he was feeling him out. Every time he hit him it was effective. Why rush in and expose yourself? It seems like both Fighters had a strategy. To me it felt like a real martial arts fight. Stances constantly moving, methodical, blocks on both sides were fairly good, but obviously Cote missed a few.

Could you argue that Silva was stretching things out to make the fight last more rounds? Maybe, but I am not sure why. I think he just came up against an opponent with a style that he was unsure of.

I agree with the above stated. All this talk of Silva being on such another level he could toy and disrespect with wretched Cote is without substance. In an interview I read Silva responded to DW's criticism of how he was fighting by admitting Cote was giving him a headache with his gameplan.

Why is Silva one of the few people out there giving Cote his due? I'll bet the rematch, if there ever is one, is equally as frustrating for Silva, and that if Silva doesn't get Cote to give him a hole and finish him spectacularly, Silva will again not look as awesome as he usually does. Who knows, perhaps Cote's game plan will lead to a hole opening up on the frustrated Silva and pay dividends. Maybe Cote manages to goad him into a crazy exchange where they go chin for chin, which would be a mistake.

Silva's overly criticized display was characteristic to me of somebody trying anything, and I mean anything (wing chung for fuck's sakes?) to find an elusive hole that came easier with his former oponents, and respect for somebody else's powerful counterstriking ability. But, go ahead, and believe Anderson is soooo untouchable he can waste two rounds dancing for effect (which was recieved with such great enthusiasm by the arena, that he was clearly encouraged to continue his flashy show).

Anderson's the man, my favourite middleweight champ ever, but sometimes even the best fight people who don't allow them to look so great. That's what happened, or Joe Silva's so retarded that he hands contender status over to competitors so rediculously undeserving of their shot that the champ feels compelled to run and dance for two rounds just to get some ring time. Whatever.

WEC 36 is this Wednesday. Apparently there are two WEC events being shown on Versus that day, but my cable provider has no info on either of them, so I don't know if the first is a rebroadcast of a previous event or if 36 is being shown twice. The second broadcast conflicts with TUF, which doesn't seem like a smart move on Zuffa's part. I can record both with my DVR, but it means giving up on the new South Park.

Anyway, this looks like a solid card as far as the WEC goes:

Urijah Faber vs. Mike Brown
Paulo Filho vs. Chael Sonnen
Jens Pulver vs. Leonard Garcia
Jake Rosholt vs. Nissen Osterneck
Rob McCullough vs. Donald Cerrone

It'll be nice to see Filho back in action. Like his best bud Silva, his last victory wasn't as dominating as the fans were expecting, so we'll see if he's back in form. Urijah and Jens should also make their fights exciting.

Yeah, I checked the weigh-in results just after Filho came in heavy. Does that mean he forfeits his "title?" I don't think MMA has seen a title fight in which the current champion could not make weight. It doesn't seem fair to take the title contention away from the challenger. Of course, it's all moot because the division is being scrapped immediately after this event.

And yeah, jesus Leben! You made such a big deal about how you were a changed man, clean and sober, with new focus being paid on your conditioning and training, and it turns out it was just juice. Damn, I don't think I've seen hypocrisy so flagrant in MMA. And yet, I still bet he won't get booed as much as Sherk.

[quote name='Oorag' post='1578763' date='Nov 5 2008, 12.40']Yeah, I checked the weigh-in results just after Filho came in heavy. Does that mean he forfeits his "title?" I don't think MMA has seen a title fight in which the current champion could not make weight. It doesn't seem fair to take the title contention away from the challenger. Of course, it's all moot because the division is being scrapped immediately after this event.

And yeah, jesus Leben! You made such a big deal about how you were a changed man, clean and sober, with new focus being paid on your conditioning and training, and it turns out it was just juice. Damn, I don't think I've seen hypocrisy so flagrant in MMA. And yet, I still bet he won't get booed as much as Sherk.[/quote]

Apparently "new focus" is code word for "steroids". I guess the old saying is true. If you aren't cheating you aren't trying hard enough.

Yes, WEC 36 was full of surprises. Pulver looked like he was about to get his groove on, then took about four solid shots to the face and got pounded out.

Filho had nothing for Sonnen standing. He was dangerous off his back, but Sonnen wanted nothing to do with it. Filho tried flopping a few times, but Sonnen just stepped back. After that, Sonnen played it smart and conservative with jabs while Filho just stood there and did nothing. He was also apparently looking off to the side at something, and no one can figure out what he was looking at. In all, he looked distracted and uninterested in the fight. With the WEC middleweight division evaporating, Filho did just about everything he could do to lower his stock when negotiating for a contract with another org. It seemed like a no-brainer that he would jump right into Zuffa-owned UFC, but now I'm not so sure the UFC is interested in bringing him aboard. If they do, I bet you they bury him on the prelims until he shows that his head is on straight.

The Faber fight was pretty weird. Faber got hit with a shot and stumbled back a bit against the fence. He then shot back out and Brown sidestepped, putting him behind and to the right of Faber, so Faber came swinging around with his huge no-look elbow and planted his face right on Brown's fist. The ref gave him a loooong time to recover as Brown was pounding on him, but he eventually got called out. Oddly enough, Faber looked fine moments afterwards, but Brown had apparently damaged a rib and practically had to be carried out of the cage. In all, it looked like Faber simply made a bone-head move and it cost him the fight. He'll be back to terrorizing the feathers in no time.

The Jake Rosholt fight was very entertaining, a perfect clash of styles. Rosholt is apparently a god of college wrestling, but is otherwise extremely raw. He fought an unknown called Nissen, who had muay thai and jiu-jitsu knowledge. Rosholt was eating shots left and right, but got a few good takedowns and was very active on top. In the second round, Rosholt again started eating punches and looked like he was about to drop, but then Nissen tried a spinning back fist, got tripped up, and Rosholt was able to take him down and finally pound him out.

So,

who's everyone got for Couture/Lesnar? I'm worried for Couture in this one. Real bad on paper. That said, I have an instinctual unobjective position that the Natural pulls this one off too. Never count that man out.

[quote name='GSP' post='1582355' date='Nov 8 2008, 12.19']So,

who's everyone got for Couture/Lesnar? I'm worried for Couture in this one. Real bad on paper. That said, I have an instinctual unobjective position that the Natural pulls this one off too. Never count that man out.[/quote]

I'm taking Couture in this match. He's got the experience and the Cardio. Lesnar will have to finish it quick to get a win.

Archived