MLB THREAD

Caliban

Yeah I am terrified of playing Tampa Bay, especially at Tropicana. I never thought I'd utter those words.

Twins do probably match up a bit better with Tampa, the White Sox are probably a better fit against the Red Sox. That's why as a White Sox fan I was hoping the Red Sox would over take the Rays. Ahh well, it's been an exciting year regardless.

[quote name='smegma' post='1536508' date='Sep 29 2008, 20.52']Yeah I am terrified of playing Tampa Bay, especially at Tropicana. I never thought I'd utter those words.

Twins do probably match up a bit better with Tampa, the White Sox are probably a better fit against the Red Sox. That's why as a White Sox fan I was hoping the Red Sox would over take the Rays. Ahh well, it's been an exciting year regardless.[/quote]

As a White Sox fan I'm just hoping they can overtake Minnesota. It borders on pathetic that we couldn't close this out days or even weeks ago. And I know anything can happen in the playoffs, but the AL teams are too strong across the board. Sox would be a significant underdog no matter who they line up against.

[quote name='smegma' post='1536508' date='Sep 29 2008, 21.52']Yeah I am terrified of playing Tampa Bay, especially at Tropicana. I never thought I'd utter those words.

Twins do probably match up a bit better with Tampa, the White Sox are probably a better fit against the Red Sox. That's why as a White Sox fan I was hoping the Red Sox would over take the Rays. Ahh well, it's been an exciting year regardless.[/quote]
How do you figure the White Sox line up better against the Sox? Both were 3-4 against the Sox during the regular season (each had a win that the Sox started Buchholz and he was rocked). I like the Twinkies pitching a lot more than the White Sox. I mean, the White Sox are going to throw out Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, and Gavin Floyd. All have either slumped in the second half or are just average.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1536531' date='Sep 29 2008, 21.06']How do you figure the White Sox line up better against the Sox? Both were 3-4 against the Sox during the regular season (each had a win that the Sox started Buchholz and he was rocked). I like the Twinkies pitching a lot more than the White Sox. I mean, the White Sox are going to throw out Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, and Gavin Floyd. All have either slumped in the second half or are just average.[/quote]

I meant that I felt we had a better chance against the Red Sox than against the Rays, not a better chance than the Twins against the Red Sox, but I can understand from my post why it was interpreted as such.

But to address your pitching comments, I think the Sox are better than the Twins in the starting department (except having no true 5th starter any longer has hurt us...Richard did do great against the Yanks but can't be counted on in big game situation yet). But their bullpen hasn't imploded as much as the White Sox has...but then I see a glimmer of hope in a game like today where Thorton, Dotel, Linebrink all seem to be doing the job they were brought here to do.

But I would take Mark Buerhle over any Twins pitcher. I'm sure I have some bias there but I do love that man.

[quote name='EHK for Obama' post='1536593' date='Sep 29 2008, 22.50']This year he has a better ERA, has been better in September, and has actually pitched the whole season instead of just the last 2 months of it.[/quote]
Two bad starts for Liriano, first ones since he's been healthy and back together. Buehrle is a nice pitcher, but I'll have to take Liriano over him. He's the type that should be a dominating playoff pitcher.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1536597' date='Sep 29 2008, 21.53']Two bad starts for Liriano, first ones since he's been healthy and back together. Buehrle is a nice pitcher, but I'll have to take Liriano over him. He's the type that should be a dominating playoff pitcher.[/quote]

The only thing I like for Buhrle over Liriano in a playoff series is that Buhrle has the experience and is a horse you could count on to come back the very next day after giving you nine innings and still be effective. If that makes sense?

Cubs over the Dodgers in 4
Phillies over the Brewers in 3

Cubs over the Phillies in 6

Rays over the Sox/Twins in 5
Angels over the Red Sox in 3

Angels over the Rays in 5

Cubs over the Angels in 6

(I'm a dreamer, but this is the year!) :P

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1536622' date='Sep 29 2008, 23.33']The only thing I like for Buhrle over Liriano in a playoff series is that Buhrle has the experience and is a horse you could count on to come back the very next day after giving you nine innings and still be effective. If that makes sense?[/quote]
It does.
[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1536622' date='Sep 29 2008, 23.33']Cubs over the Dodgers in 4

(I'm a dreamer, but this is the year!) :P[/quote]
Angels over the Sox in 3? I'll take a new title and av if that happens. I don't even need to get anything if it doesn't.

Phillies will get a run for their money with the Brewers I think. I'd say Phils in 5, tossup though.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1536624' date='Sep 29 2008, 22.37']Angels over the Sox in 3? I'll take a new title and av if that happens. I don't even need to get anything if it doesn't.[/quote]

I know you're a Red Sox guy, Week, but I don't like the way the starting pitching is going to line up for you. And Beckett out? Anything is possible, but I can't see the Red Sox making it out of the first round. My opinion only though, of course.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1536629' date='Sep 29 2008, 23.43']I know you're a Red Sox guy, Week, but I don't like the way the starting pitching is going to line up for you. And Beckett out? Anything is possible, but I can't see the Red Sox making it out of the first round. My opinion only though, of course.[/quote]
I'm not saying I think it is more than likely they get out of the first round, I just know they won't get swept. If it happens, first come first serve I'll take a title and av for the remainder of the playoffs.

Also, in your prediction you forget the AAAA won't beat the AL in the WS ;).

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1536631' date='Sep 29 2008, 20.46']Also, in your prediction you forget the AAAA won't beat the AL in the WS ;).[/quote]
If we're talking the All-Star Game then sure. But the AL "dominance" over the NL in the last ten years is 6-4.* It's not [i]that[/i] skewed.

*So they say. I happen to know that the 2002 WS never happened.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1536622' date='Sep 29 2008, 23.33']The only thing I like for Buhrle over Liriano in a playoff series is that Buhrle has the experience and is a horse you could count on to come back the very next day after giving you nine innings and still be effective. If that makes sense?

Cubs over the Dodgers in 4

(I'm a dreamer, but this is the year!) :P[/quote]

Dodgers over the Cubs in 5
Brewers over the Phillies in 5

Brewers over Dodgers in 5

Rays over Central in 4
Angels over Red Sox in 5

Rays over the Angels in 7

Rays win WS in 6

[quote name='Fatuous' post='1536765' date='Sep 30 2008, 04.48']Brewers over the Phillies in 5

Brewers over Dodgers in 5[/quote]
Sheets is done. The bullpen is shoddy. CC can't start every game. The Brewers take one game against Philly.

Im hopefully optimistic the Dodgers can beat the Cubs in a 5 game series. We need the bats to stay hot and getting Furcal back helps, pitching is a big question mark against that loaded lineup, and the bullpen is still without Saito I believe.

I think the series goes to 5 games. Im not calling a winner though...dont want to throw the jinx for the Blue Crew out there. :P

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1537153' date='Sep 30 2008, 11.18']Im hopefully optimistic the Dodgers can beat the Cubs in a 5 game series. We need the bats to stay hot and getting Furcal back helps, pitching is a big question mark against that loaded lineup, and the bullpen is still without Saito I believe.

I think the series goes to 5 games. Im not calling a winner though...dont want to throw the jinx for the Blue Crew out there. :P[/quote]
I so wanted to play the Mets in the first round. Still, I think the Cubs should handle the Dodgers in four. I don't want to think about this series going 5 games. This playoff stretch (if the Cubs can make it into a stretch) is going to be tense enough without taking the first series to a full 5.

I like the pitching matchups in the first 3 games. Even with Lowe pitching as well as he has down the stretch, there's no one on that staff who really scares me. I'm more worried about Big Z than any of the Dodgers' pitchers. I'd actually be more comfortable with Harden pitching the second game. Maybe they thought Z was less likely to explode at home? At least Lilly can come out of the bullpen if he needs to.

Anyways, here's to a good series. Good luck and all that. :cheers:

Cliff Lee and Brad Lidge win Comeback Player of the Year in their respective divisions. Cliff Lee was a pretty clear one (Huff wouldn't have been a bad choice either or Ervin Santana), but Lidge? How does someone like Jorge Cantu not win that award? Lidge wasn't THAT awful last year 67IP 88ks 3.36ERA 1.25. As a matter of fact, that's a pretty fucking good year. So what if he had *only* 19 saves. It's just silly to think of it really as a serious comeback. Great job Brad Lidge you never lost the fact you were one of the most talented pitchers in the league and you were briefly broken by Albert Pujols and bullpen mismanagement. Of course the awards don't matter much, still I just don't see how that is an impressive comeback. Other than Cantu...Delgado maybe?

Archived