Irish Meet in 2006

Conor

You nosy, nosy gossip-mongering people :P

:)

I had a bit of a bug this morning, so I'm only just got into work now.

I'll write up a bit of a report and get it posted presently.

:lol:

But yes...busy day at work today, so posting on this thread came second to posting on the WC thread. Sorry about that. :mellow:

So I was first to arrive at the restaurant. I was quite bored at this stage so I spammed Aoife with "where are you's". That was a bad idea since she didn't turn up. :P Parris was first to arrive, then Mel T and finally a friend of theirs. It was a fun time. Plenty discussion about Worldcon, house refurbishments, their trip to Amsterdam, Jamie's work for Testors and assorted projects etc etc Mel told me too much about piercings though. :|

Met Paddy on the way to the pub. Mel T kindly informed me that Paddy is now their favourite Irishman. :P More chat on Worldcon, Mel's mead and assorted other stuff, including Battlestar Galactica and a few other TV shows. Parris and GRRM are huge fans of the former. I think it was agreed that it was the best sci-fi show ever. I worked out that Tenacious D was Jack Black's band somewhere during the evening...which I was proud of.

Funniest moment of the night was when Parris's rain curse struck our pub. Her home in New Mexico has to be semi-demolished because of rain, since her arrival here, May has turned into the wettest on record and 1 minute after sitting in our seats inside, the ceiling started to rain right beside us. :o We weren't even on the top floor...

We managed to reach the midnight hour safe and well. Safely deposited Parris and Mel into a cab and another BwB night was at an end.

So thanks for everyone for turning up. It was great to see Parris again. She looked in fine fettle after her time in Ireland (go Ireland!) and suggested she might be back this year considering the state of home in New Mexico. We can but hope! :)

Oh...and I was given some cool news but sworn to secrecy. I will say congrats to those involved though. ;)

Thought I'd write up a small report on Monday night too.

I headed to the PorterHouse from work and couldn't see any of the gang, so I gave Pod and Aoife a call, but neither were answering their phones. So I headed in the direction of Gallaghers, where I knew they were having their meal, luckily I bumped into them almost immediately. Parris told me that I am now her wild Irish boy and told us that Pod was her mild Irish boy :)

I was introduced to Parris and Jo (Mel's Twisted Sister)'s friend Sarah and we went off to find a seat at the PorterHouse. Once we found a place and Pod went to buy the first round, the doorway next to us started leaking. After a very short period of time it was no longer leaking, it was positively gushing. An indoor cloudburst. Parris noted that it must have been the Water Elementals who have been plaguing her for a while. They caused water damage to her house that is a big part of the reason for their current renovations.

The conversation involved a great deal of discussion about plans and expectations for WorldCon. I had thought I was excited about going to the con before, but the things I was told about made me want WorldCon to be happening tomorrow! I really cannot wait for it now, at all.

Of special mention was the human chess match that Blackfyre Heir has been organising. George has been wanting to do one of these babies for years. The gang reckon that George already has sorted out who his opponent will be, but he is not telling *anyone* who it is, so it's likely to be someone quite exciting. Jo wants to be Arianne, and told us how George must have modelled the Sand snakes on her and her sisters <ahttp://forum-test.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'>. The chess match still needs volunteers to be the pieces, so could everyone going to the con, please go to the chess match thread and put your name down to be part of the spectacle. It's something that we fans can easily do to give something real back to George for the wonderful books that he has written us and for being the great guy to his fans that he is. I've been told that we should be able to sort out the paraphernalia there. Just ask in the chess match thread and you'll find out all you need. Go ahead! It really wont be difficult and will in all likelihood be a lot of fun.

So a lot of merriment, drinking and good craic was had. I'm sorry that Aoife didn't make it along. Very unfortunate.

Not a whole lot more to say except that I cant wait for the next BwB meeting, whether or not that is LA (personally, I'd love to meet you guys again before Worldcon, but if not, then c'est la vie)

Great to meet the gang again. I hope it is not too long before the next time.

• 3 weeks later...

OK so if this is still active and anyone reads this and/or can make it we could have a knees up at my pace before Worldcon . The house I was hoping would be built isn`t but we could rock on anyway . A mate of mine is having a party for the summer solstice and we could turn up to that . There is also a wicker man burning going on at my friends farm near Drumshanbo , County Leitrim . There will be fire dancing and we could put Pod into the wicker man , but hang on we need a virgin . ..

Any way , if I have missed some other thread or whatever let me know , I want to party more with you guys and ponder that age old question wwrtd ? To music ... and more TEnacious D .

Any more details on the time? Is is next Wednesday, the 21st?

Sounds like a lot of fun, but I'd just like to let it be known that I'm really really in much of a being sacrificed mood these days, in case we dont find a virgin and start looking for 'volunteers' ;)

My problem is work and with the 21st being during the week. I can't get anymore days off, with LA and all. I even went over my allocation by taking off Monday there for my mate's Dad's funeral. And it's not practical for me to make it up to Leitrim and back in one evening.

Let us know what the plans are.

The only thread you may have missed is the 'Are you emo?' thread, here, where we're attempting to organise a Eurocommie meet for later this year. Currently it's looking like end of October/start of November in Amsterdam at that hostel that yourself and Parris so kindly did a reconnoître of and recommended to us ;)

Check it out and see what you think.

Ok , sorry for the lack of time specific information . The summer solstice parties are on wednesday 21 st eve , so yes , problematic for those who work . Just thought I`d throw it out there .

Sorry about your mates dad , Paddy .

Would be great to have a meet here in Ireland before Worldcon , like I said my place isn`t finished but we could all manage . Would love to meet other folks living in Ireland and I am well happy to feed everyone and do the hospitality thing . ;)

Slightly confused on the human sacrifice front , was that a typo ? There`s not many folk`s as would volunteer . :huh:

Hey Curunina,

Another Irish boarder. I think we're not doing too bad on the fans per capita basis. :)

You'll be best to check this (the BwB) section of the board every so often, to see what meet ups are being organised. If you check out the "Are you emo?" thread, you'll find out about us organising the next meet up of the European BwB members; probably in october/november and probably in Amsterdam.

Check it out and see what you think :)

Any irish meet we organise will be in this forum too, whether in this thread or another (the title will make it obvious wither way).

Good luck and I hope to see you soon!

Archived