Cricket IV

Jeor

Yes, I well remember the debate about Watson. He does seem to be a bit more injury prone than Symonds, which might be a bit of a mark against him.

Regardless of his relative merits, he seems quite un-Australian. None of that tough "outback" streak in him and from comments I've read on Australian boards a lot of Ozzies consider him soft as well. I bet Symonds wrestles crocs in his spare time. Watson probably curls up with his favorite book and a glass of wine. He and Brett Lee are the new sensitive side of the Australian team making it harder for the rest of us to reflexively hate them ;)

PS- All stereotypes are strictly tongue in cheek.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, Pax. :) As has been documented I have an anti-Watson prejudice so some of my ranting is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but we'll see what happens in the future with him - he may well prove me wrong.

Great fighting partnership put on by Duminy and Harris in particular. Duminy has his half-century - he looks to be a great player for the future - and Harris is more than helping out with 35-odd, he's slogged a few boundaries while remaining pretty solid in defence. I find it strange that Ponting is persisting with the spinners here, particularly to Harris. Most tailenders get themselves in a tangle against spinners, but Harris is no mug with the bat, and as a spinner himself, he seems to be handling them quite comfortably, and one thinks that Harris much rather fancies facing Hauritz and Clarke rather than Johnson. I suppose the new ball is only a short time away, but still.

Starting to like Paul Harris. He seems a bit like an Ashley Giles clone, but he did get 5 wickets in Perth, and he got the wicket of Ponting in this Test; and his batting here looks to be pretty good. He has a good defence, plays with a straight bat, and yet also has the skill to knock the ball around for a single and can play the big shot against the spinners. He's played the lofted drive four times with success so far, and he picks the right ball to do it - he defends the others. It's not as if he's going for wild slogs.

To be honest, his international record is rather poor, and fits my description of a bits and pieces player. He only has 52 wickets in 19 matches, an average of 33 and a strike rate of 71, which are poor numbers for a frontline bowler, and his batting average is only 10. But if the first two matches here are any indication, his numbers are going to be improving. If he can get his bowling average closer to 30, and his batting average more around the 15-20 mark, he can be a handy cricketer for South Africa.

Steyn's hanging around too - this partnership is worth 42, the South African tail is even outbatting the Australian one in this match. Duminy-Morkel was worth 43, Duminy-Harris was worth 67 and now Duminy-Steyn is 46. Australia's last four wickets made just over 100, but South Africa's last four wickets are already accounting for 156, and Ntini hasn't come out to bat yet. The Australian lead is now less than 100.

Reminds me of South African tails in the past. They may not have the same calibre of lower-order hitters like they used to with Pollock and co. but they're doing the job here. One remembers Symcox making a century at No.10 many years ago...

EDIT: Something that really demonstrates the selectors' folly in not putting in Watson - Lee is now injured and off the field. Steyn closing in on a half-century. And that leaves Ponting with two frontline pace bowlers (Johnson and Siddle) plus a frontline spinner (Hauritz). He's basically only got three bowlers, and is using Michael Clarke and Hussey. I think he should give Katich a go...left-arm wrist spinners can be erratic but can be awkward to face. The lead is now less than 50! This is awesome tailend batting by South Africa. They were the masters of it in the 90s, and they're putting some of it back together today.

If Lee's injury continues, South Africa's chances have to look pretty good. Australia will only have three bowlers in a run chase, while South Africa's batting unit is still very powerful; Smith, Amla and Kallis all looked in good touch beore they got out, and now we know the lower order can put in the runs as well. I'd be quietly fancying a punt on the Boks now.

Duminy gets his well-deserved hundred! Steyn comfortably on 60* as well.

As for why SA is still batting...well, some of it has to do with utterly poor Australian game plans. And dropping Steyn three times hasn't helped - Ponting dropped him at slip, Hussey completely missed a high skier, and Hauritz fluffed a straightforward return catch.

But Ponting's field placings, once more, are very defensive, and he's allowing Steyn singles everywhere. I suppose we have the benefit of being able to see the wagon wheels of each player etc, but all of Steyn's boundaries and runs have come straight down the ground, or through the slips. But now when Steyn faces, Ponting is giving him either one slip or none, and he's allowing singles around the ground when he should be keeping them in tight.

This is also bad for Australia because they're giving up prime batting time. The pitch looks excellent and nothing happened with the new ball. If they had got South Africa out early this morning, they could be enjoying these prime batting conditions themselves, but as it is, it looks like South Africa are going to bat out most of the day!

Ponting is also clearly not a great motivator. Everything was in their favour yesterday, the bowlers were touching 150 kph, the crowd was in on it. Now when times are tough, he's gone missing. The bowlers look uninspired, Ponting is doing nothing to invigorate or motivate his troops, and it looks like he's without a plan to get these guys out. Oh, and Steyn just smashed a six into the crowd...impressive.

Outstanding hundred for Duminy. Steyn's riding his luck, but this little bloke is a nuggety type that looks to value his wicket highly.

Might make things a bit uncomfortable for Mckenzie if Prince is fit in time for Sydney.

[quote name='Jeor' post='1631889' date='Dec 28 2008, 12.51']Duminy gets his well-deserved hundred! Steyn comfortably on 60* as well.[/quote]

Well, this boy is special. He played ever so well on that fifth day at the WACA, and I thoroughly enjoyed the way he played. Now, this knock at the MCG has confirmed how good he really is. Ashwell Prince will have his work cut out to get into the team! Maybe McKenzie will be left out and AB will be switched in to open the innings with Smith. Steyn has been a revelation - although most players will make you pay if you drop them three times. Hauritz's drop in particular was an absolute shocker - and a shame too, because he has bowled well in this test match so far.

Side-note: I agree Jeor, not picking Watson is starting to look like a big blunder by the selectors. Symonds will have to break his sub-par form in the second innings to justify his selection.

Another side-note: massive pressure on Hayden now. Can he deliver in his MCG swansong?

Edit: SL effectively 133/2 in the second dig. The 'Deshi bowlers are doing a good job - first rolling SL for less than 300, now its 18/2. It's a shame their batsmen couldn't play Murali (at least they're not the only ones...)

The selectors really should have thought about the team balance issue if they had known (and I assume they would have) that Symonds was carrying a big injury question mark and that Lee was a possible injury scare as well.

As to the South African team - if McKenzie doesn't score in the last innings here, I expect Prince will come back in at No.5 and de Villiers pushed up to open the batting. Smith, De Villiers and Duminy have all made centuries as well as half-centuries, while Kallis has a pair of fifties and Amla a half-century and some attractive starts that show he's in form. There are light years between the rest of the batting order and McKenzie on current form, which is a shame, as he was batting really well earlier in the year but looks all at sea now. But there is simply no way to drop Duminy now, and Prince is a first-team pick whenever he's fit, so McKenzie will have to be the fall guy. The selectors might have their problem solved for them if Smith's elbow injury keeps him out (in which case I guess Prince, Boucher or Kallis would captain?).

Great day's play at the MCG, and it looks like I have once again given Australia the kiss of death when I predicted yesterday that they would go on to win this match. A draw is probably the favourite now - unless SA blow Aus away tomorrow or SA collapse on Day 5. Without harping on about it too much, I have to say that Duminy's innings was truly breathtaking and I was absolutely glued to the screen all day long. Damn I wish this was a 5 test series :(.

Normal service has resumed in NZ, with the Kiwis belting WI in the second T20. Good to see the Black Caps showing what they are capable of. Ryder and McCullum tore the WI opening attack apart. I'm looking forward to more of the same in the ODIs. Meanwhile, things are looking glum for Bangladesh, as the two superstars Jayawardene and Sanga close in on twin half-centuries.

Well well well, Australia are three wickets down before the deficit has even been wiped out. Both openers gone and Hussey given out (incorrectly). Ian Healy's constantly partisan commentary throughout this series is really beginning to grate on me; he's the most biased and unfair commentator in the cricketing world. At least Tony Greig admits he's going for South Africa and praises the Aussies; it seems that Healy can only praise the Aussies, criticise the umpires, and damn Australian opponents with faint praise. Even now he's harping on about Hussey's unfair dismissal, half an hour later, whereas he never mentions it for South African dismissals, and even said something to the effect of, "He got himself into such a bad position he was just asking to be given out" for Australian opponents. He's absolutely terrible.

Time for Ponting to make a captain's knock; Clarke as well. They can take heart from the fact that the tail is in good batting form and the pitch is still good, but they've missed out on a big opportunity to draw this match. A win was always going to be unlikely because Ponting wouldn't want to set them any chasing total after they just chased 414 with ease, but a draw was definitely on the cards if Australia could bat out the day and then some. When tailenders can stay in all day, you'd expect batsmen could.

EDIT: More on the umpiring issue - I suppose everyone's hypocritical about umpiring decisions, but Australians were notorious for saying "suck it up" to the Indians in the Sydney Test and to look at the scoreboard, they missed opportunities to make umpiring a non-issue by just playing badly, etc. Now it's time for Australia to take it and they don't handle it well. But I guess that happens to everyone - when it's going your way, the umpire's always right, when it goes against you, that's when we need technology in the game etc.

[quote name='Jeor' post='1632520' date='Dec 29 2008, 09.43']But I guess that happens to everyone - when it's going your way, the umpire's always right, when it goes against you, that's when we need technology in the game etc.[/quote]

Which is why it is so important that we do get technology into the game. Because then I won't have to put up with constant hypocrisy from one-eyed Australia fans every summer. No one can complain when the reality of what happened (as shown on replay) actually gets reflected on the scorecard on a consistent basis.

Edit: someone just sent a joke in to Cricinfo which made me laugh: "Perfect timing from Symonds. Now he and Hayden can go fishing together again". There is going to be some tough decisions at the selectors meetings if Aus do go on to lose this one.

South Africa well on top, although Australia still have a bit of batting left. Steyn's on the verge of getting 10 wickets for the match; he's bowled well today. Although he hasn't put in a magical spell, he just seems to have picked up some wickets along the way, some of them cheaply, but 9 altogether in the match (plus his 70 odd with the bat) has him a sure favourite for man of the match.

Ponting's playing very well. This is a real captain's knock, especially with Haddin just out. He's really the only one who's looked dangerous today. Clarke stuck around but he was always very fidgety, and you get the sense that Ponting is the only one standing between South Africa and victory. He might just manage it if the tail stays with him, there's a bit of rain forecast for later in this match either late today or tomorrow. For all his captaincy failings in the field, Ponting can still lead from the front with the bat, and one certainly can't fault him for his batsmanship in this Test. If South Africa can get him out now you'd think the rest of the Australian batting would go like a house of cards.

[quote name='Sernotapearinginthiseries' post='1632635' date='Dec 29 2008, 05.48']ETA: is harris actually capable of spinning the ball?[/quote]

Well, he was rubbished by all the commentators (especially Boycott, although I guess I should take that with a pinch of salt) during the series with England in the summer, mainly because he bowled a very defensive line and didn't turn the ball at all. But then I saw him at the Perth test match and he looked completely different to what I'd expected - he was getting turn and bounce and at times looked very menacing, which makes me think that either he has gone away after the England series and worked hard to become a bit more dangerous, or he is simply more confident now and prepared to attack a bit more. Whichever way you look at it, he is definitely capable of troubling batsmen when he's in the right mindset. I haven't seen/read anything about him in this match though, so I guess he might have reverted to form.

Sir Thursday

[quote name='Sernotapearinginthiseries' post='1632635' date='Dec 29 2008, 13.48']Sorry but its just so fun watching australia lose. :smoking:[/quote]

Well, I won't be counting my chickens for a while yet. This series has already seen plenty of twists and turns and you just never know, a score of about 200 could be tough chase.

[quote name='Sir Thursday' post='1632694' date='Dec 29 2008, 05.49']Well, he was rubbished by all the commentators (especially Boycott, although I guess I should take that with a pinch of salt) during the series with England in the summer, mainly because he bowled a very defensive line and didn't turn the ball at all. But then I saw him at the Perth test match and he looked completely different to what I'd expected - he was getting turn and bounce and at times looked very menacing, which makes me think that either he has gone away after the England series and worked hard to become a bit more dangerous, or he is simply more confident now and prepared to attack a bit more. Whichever way you look at it, he is definitely capable of troubling batsmen when he's in the right mindset. I haven't seen/read anything about him in this match though, so I guess he might have reverted to form.

Sir Thursday[/quote]
Ah ok, good to hear he can turn it i guess. Im watching right now and its giving me Giles flashbacks.

Steyn gets a 10-for! Two five-wicket hauls in the match, and a 70 with the bat, he's odds on to be man of the match. And South Africa have to chase 183, but have a tricky little mini-session to face before the close of play. If they lose a wicket tonight it will be very interesting tomorrow, especially as the pitch isn't carrying and seems to be staying low now.

Regarding Harris - he was very impressive in Perth. As Sir Thursday said, he was getting quite a bit of turn and bounce, and he was rewarded with 5 wickets. This Test match he's been rather flat though; he had virtually no turn, and less bounce, and was correspondingly less dangerous. His batting was useful though, and I think if he can work out a way of bowling well on surfaces like these he could be a very handy cricketer.

Luckily for him, Kallis is in the team, and while South Africa has an accomplished all-rounder like him - congrats to Kallis for getting 250 Test wickets - they can afford to carry a spinner who isn't taking too many wickets. A little bit like the symbiotic relationship between Giles and Flintoff; England could carry Giles because they had a four-man pace attack with Flintoff in the team anyway. Perth aside, Harris' international record doesn't show great wicket-taking ability, so he'll want to find a way of becoming more attacking, especially once Kallis retires and they have to take a harder look at the team.

[quote name='Jeor' post='1632711' date='Dec 29 2008, 15.31']Steyn gets a 10-for! Two five-wicket hauls in the match, and a 70 with the bat, he's odds on to be man of the match. And South Africa have to chase 183, but have a tricky little mini-session to face before the close of play. If they lose a wicket tonight it will be very interesting tomorrow, especially as the pitch isn't carrying and seems to be staying low now.[/quote]

Well, McKenzie is a walking wicket at the moment, so they will be confident of at least 1 down by the close of play...

Archived