very important

pictou

I just want to say I hope the series is done with the same integrity as many other HBO series...Rome and Deadwood are 2 particular examples...both were gritty and adult oriented...not the typical portrayal that most historical TV shows have...the "authentic" theme is great and gives credibility to the show...Martin's books are great because of one main theme...there is no good or bad but rather an entire range of grey...i hope the show sticks to that. I found at some points i sympathized with the Lannisters and at others the Starks and so on.

Make the "Wall" and the "winter is coming" real and dreadful and capture the intensity and awe of the ice wall and the job those that take the black must perform.

The Hound must also be as he is portrayed in the books and so forth...just keep it real and dirty and gritty and grey and disturbing.

good luck and make us proud!

I have no doubt that HBO will keep things grey just look at shows like Oz, Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale they all deal with shades of grey. Even Shows like Band of Brothers were able to show that the enemy was not entirely evil and that there were individuals on the side of the Americans who were less than good.
I'm sure it's a key reason why ASOIAF was chosen and not some generic fantasy where there are the goog good guys and the bad bad guys.

I dont know, I kinda liked the whole surfing on a shield thing...its impossible I know , but most of the things in Tolkiens story are impossible so this was pretty cool to me...

But anyway...I do hope they want will stick to the book...Lannisters have to be hateable(does this word exist??) in the beginning of the book...in later books maybe not, but in AGOT only Thyrion is OK...and I do hope that they wont age the characters to much..couple of years is OK but I just cant picture Robb being 20 at the beginning of the book...make him 17 or 18, but not older than that...i hope

I hate that everyone says there is no good and bad only real nitty gritty life in the books. There is good and it is the Starks, there is no shades of grey there. Sympathize with who you may but they have gotten the shortest end of the twisted ice and fire stick and they are children for the most part that are noble, strong, and loyal.

etc. etc. etc.

[quote name='shewolf85' post='1616458' date='Dec 11 2008, 14.22']I hate that everyone says there is no good and bad only real nitty gritty life in the books. There is good and it is the Starks, there is no shades of grey there. Sympathize with who you may but they have gotten the shortest end of the twisted ice and fire stick and they are children for the most part that are noble, strong, and loyal.

etc. etc. etc.[/quote]
I definitely see where you are coming from and I agree. However, what I think many people mean when they say "there is no black or white in ASoIaF, only gray" is not that there is no "good" or "bad" but that there is no [i]absolute[/i] good or bad. That is, I think Martin does a wonderful job of presenting his characters as more "real" because sometimes a character may be "good", sometimes they may be "bad" and most of the time they are somewhere in between. Also, I think Martin does a good job of showing us that definitions of "good" or "bad" are relative to the perspectives of those doing the defining. ;)

[b]ASoIaF[/b]'s key theme is power, who wants it, what they are prepared to do with it or the lengths they are prepared to go to get it, and what happens to those who have it forced upon them unexpectedly, or take it up very reluctantly. Since [b]Rome[/b] covered some of the same ground successfully, I think it will be handled well.

I actually thought this was a discussion about what the theme music should be ;)

[quote name='Werthead' post='1616549' date='Dec 11 2008, 15.49'][b]ASoIaF[/b]'s key theme is power, who wants it, what they are prepared to do with it or the lengths they are prepared to go to get it, and what happens to those who have it forced upon them unexpectedly, or take it up very reluctantly. Since [b]Rome[/b] covered some of the same ground successfully, I think it will be handled well.

I actually thought this was a discussion about what the theme music should be ;)[/quote]
I agree! Another aspect of this theme of ASoIaF, I think, is that all the competing over power (playing the Game of Thrones) blinds people to things that really matter and to the even larger dangers that may exist. In this case, a largely unknown and extremely dangerous force (the Others) that could wipe out life as they know it and leave everyone with nothing to fight over.

I think one of the many questions Martin wants to be in his audience's minds is "Will mankind be able to 'get out of it's own way' long enough to save itself"? I sort of think the Others will be thwarted (if they are thwarted) not by armies but by a select few who see the "big picture" and put the good of the realm ahead of themselves while the majority of people remain blissfully unaware. But that's another debate, I guess...

[quote]ASoIaF's key theme is power, who wants it, what they are prepared to do with it or the lengths they are prepared to go to get it, and what happens to those who have it forced upon them unexpectedly, or take it up very reluctantly.[/quote]

[quote]I agree! Another aspect of this theme of ASoIaF, I think, is that all the competing over power (playing the Game of Thrones) blinds people to things that really matter and to the even larger dangers that may exist. In this case, a largely unknown and extremely dangerous force (the Others) that could wipe out life as they know it and leave everyone with nothing to fight over.[/quote]

This. Most characters in the series couldn't care less about the warnings from my avatar's comrades and their needs. And most of the Houses are oblivious that not only is Daenerys alive, but also has formidable power.

I have no worrys that the themes of the series will be substantially different on TV.

Black Wizard: Very nice sig. Symphony X's "The Oddessey" is one my favorites from them. I saw the band live 3 years ago.

[quote name='gippu' post='1614620' date='Dec 10 2008, 09.33']You never know, soon you'll see Jon surfing down a pair of stairs shooting a crossbow. ^^[/quote]

:sick: The horror...the [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTe1vF679U"]horror[/url].

I do have a lot of faith in HBO. Their crap shows are good, their good shows are great, and their great shows are legend...wait for it...dary. Their are much less censorship restrictions, and I am confident we are going to see an amazing finished product. I just hope it get's an audience.

[quote name='Lil' Joey Clegane' date='Dec 12 2008, 18.57' post='1617792']

I do have a lot of faith in HBO. Their crap shows are good, their good shows are great, and their great shows are legend

I couldn't agree more. HBO does need something like aSoIaF, because since [i]Rome[/i] and [i]Deadwood[/i] got canned, their stuff has been their "crap" shows. Though [i]True Blood[/i] is showing promise.(I'm only through ep.5 so far)

[quote name='FM Ramsay' post='1617917' date='Dec 12 2008, 21.54']I couldn't agree more. HBO does need something like aSoIaF, because since [i]Rome[/i] and [i]Deadwood[/i] got canned, their stuff has been their "crap" shows. Though [i]True Blood[/i] is showing promise.(I'm only through ep.5 so far)[/quote]

Have you watched [i]The Wire[/i]? Best show ever. [i]Entourage[/i] is also very fun, if not particularly serious.

[quote name='Disturbing Clown' post='1617997' date='Dec 13 2008, 02.05'][quote]I couldn't agree more. HBO does need something like aSoIaF, because since Rome and Deadwood got canned, their stuff has been their "crap" shows. Though True Blood is showing promise.(I'm only through ep.5 so far)[/quote]
Have you watched [i]The Wire[/i]? Best show ever. [i]Entourage[/i] is also very fun, if not particularly serious.
[/quote]

HBO does need some new blood. The Wire is finished and Entourage is a comedy (and while it is hysterical like CYE, it is not a drama). They lack a true genre defining show like they have had in recent years. Their arguably best shows (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Rome, Deadwood, The Wire) are all gone. ASOFAI is exactly what they need. It has the violence of the Sopranos, characters with depth like Deadwood, constant plotting and conspiracy, like in Rome, and a long, complex, interconnected storyline, like The Wire.

Really, if you think about it HBO has fallen behind in the last few years. Arguably the best show on cable at the moment isn't even on HBO, its on AMC, and it called Mad Men., which I believe HBO passed on.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1616549' date='Dec 11 2008, 16.49'][b]
I actually thought this was a discussion about what the theme music should be ;)[/quote]

Sword of the Morning
Got yourself some Dawn
Melisandre said Stannis was
Chosen one
Cuzz he's Prince that was promised and
His sword only shines
And he's a rebel
Who will probably die, yea

Archived