Wild Cards

krill54

Share, share (including the name of the portrait's artist :))

The artist should be familiar to you guys-- Mike Miller (or, as I started referring to him while exchanging e-mails when he was doing the very nice cover for DD5, my cousin Mike). This is a great piece, and if Bantam (or whoever) does go for the triad, I wouldn't be surprised to see it used as advertisement for the series. (At least a reworked version of it, because some of the depictions are preliminary versions.)

Anyway, the first page of the proposal states, "It's 2007. Do you know where your children are?" Flip the page and you see the "team picture," with "They're out taking over the world!" running as a footer caption.

Characters include Drummer Boy, Jonathan Hive, Curve Ball, the Genetrix, the Voice from Port 950, Lohengrin (You'll never guess who created this one. Well, maybe you will.), Hoodoo Mama, Night and Day (Yes, that is one character). Oh, and Dragon Girl (I should award an old fashioned Marvel No-prize to whoever on this board figures out her actual powers).

Jonathan Hive gets my vote for the weirdest power; the Genetrix for grossest. Although Hoodoo Mama would get votes in that category, as well.

There is one "old" (ie, familiar character). I'll let you all speculate about the identity of that one for awhile.

John

• 2 months later...

Finally. The contracts have arrived and have been signed. Tor will publish the next Wild Card triad, which we're calling The Committee trilogy. The books will be called INSIDE STRAIGHT, BUSTED FLUSH, and SUICIDE KINGS, with the first one due in January.

George actually has a little bit more info in the "News" section of his site, along with a nice illustratin of a bunch of the new characters by Mike Miller (no relation) who did the art for George's Hedge Knight comic. So check it out.

Over thirty new characters have been created for this new generation of the Wild Card universe, and the stories will focus, more or less, on these new characters. With some holdovers.

John

w00t!

That sounds excellent. :) And a hardcover, release, too -- Tor must really believe in it.

I saw on the Captain Comics Forum that there was another Wild Cards thing that you might be working on instead of on this trilogy. Is that going ahead, or on the back burner?

w00t!

That sounds excellent. :) And a hardcover, release, too -- Tor must really believe in it.

I saw on the Captain Comics Forum that there was another Wild Cards thing that you might be working on instead of on this trilogy. Is that going ahead, or on the back burner?

Going ahead. Hope to have news on this soon, as it impacts on whether or not I'll actually be writing for the new trilogy, but, as always, publishers seem to run on their own schedule.

John

Its going to be a wee while before I ge tto you new one, I've only just finished reading about Mark's exploits in Vietnam :) ... Poor Croyd! :(

Pick up a copy if you get a chance. We've discovered that only 600 copies made it to the stores before iBooks implosion shut down the company.

John

I don't suppose if there's any word on if Tor or anyone else will be reprinting the earlier books? And I'm guessing it's way too early to be thinking of a UK publisher? I must admit with some embarrassment at having never gotten hold of any of the Wild Cards books.

I don't suppose if there's any word on if Tor or anyone else will be reprinting the earlier books? And I'm guessing it's way too early to be thinking of a UK publisher? I must admit with some embarrassment at having never gotten hold of any of the Wild Cards books.

Well, it's complicated because of iBooks demise. iBooks has the right to the first 8 books. Of course, we had a clause in our contract with them that said the rights revert back to use in case of bankruptcy, BUT some bankruptcy judges hold clauses of that nature to be invalid. Great, right. Long story short, we just don't know at this stage.

But -- to complicate things further -- you're talking UK rights, right? There may be some news on that front, soon.

On the other hand -- if you can read Russian, the first three books have been sold there. The third one was just come out; George said just today that he's received the authors' copies. And the covers are all very strange.

John

AARGH! :(

Don't despair totally, as they MAY show up as remainders. Eventually. Or maybe not.

There are still a couple copies available via Amazon, if that's any help.

John

Sadly, my Russian is not so good.

Actually, the iBooks editions did hit the bookshops over here about two years ago as imports but they were all snapped up very quickly.

I got hold of the IBooks ones, but they stopped reproducing them (I have the first 5). I would love to get the rest of them. Seems strange to have 1 - 5 then 18 - 20.

I love Croyd. and Jube. and The Turtle.

Only 600 copies of DD5 made it into shops? Really?

Don't despair Bran, you can read mine. ;)

Wert, the first six are frequently available on eBay or AbeBooks for reasonable prices in the UK. After that it gets tricky: I had to import most of the rest from the US (John helped there, thanks! :)).

Great news, and, looking forward to the release. just hope it hits Australian stores in a halfway decent manner. I've had a hell time trying to chase up these books. I've managed to get everything up to the last book involving the rox. And, one new cycle book, which was good, but a lil out of context as i'd missed some. As usual though, will keep eyes open.

A nice little omnibus for each series would be far far more useful. The last re release was a total ballsup.

Only 600 copies of DD5 made it into shops? Really?

Don't despair Bran, you can read mine. ;)

Wert, the first six are frequently available on eBay or AbeBooks for reasonable prices in the UK. After that it gets tricky: I had to import most of the rest from the US (John helped there, thanks! :)).

Yep, that's for sure. So don't read it in the bathtub.

As I said, it may ultimately show up as remaindered. The remaining stock of iBooks was bought up by a company whose name I'm blanking on now, but that doesn't automatically mean DD5 will show up in the stores. They may be pulped. They may sit in some warehouse for years. No one knows at this point.

Ultimately, I would love to see Tor do a paperback edition, but, again, we don't know if we have the rights to sell or not. Have to wait to see what the bankruptcy court judge says.

I haven't checked my stock of extras in awhile. I probably have a couple of most volumes between 1 and 8. If anyone's interested, drop me an e-mail. Oh yeah, I think I still have a copy of Kevin Murphy's GURPS game book, too, which somewhat ironically is the scarecest and most expensive Wild Card book, though I think DD5 will be going for the record soon.

John

I mentioned earlier an omnibus thingame, for each trilogy, but, thinking on it. It would probably be somewhat of a legal minefield, what with all those different authors.

I mentioned earlier an omnibus thingame, for each trilogy, but, thinking on it. It would probably be somewhat of a legal minefield, what with all those different authors.

Not at all. The Master Agreement we signed covers just about any contingency, and it'd be like dividing the money up for a single book, except of course on a somewhat larger scale.

Two problems, though. One is sheer length. Although books do seem to be getting longer now. We were constantly in trouble with Bantam, in particular, for handing in single volumes that were too long (which, in fact, led to the splitting of volume six into volumes six and seven). And, second, depending on what the bankruptcy judge says, we actually might not own the rights to volumes 1-8 for quite awhile.

Three problems, actually. Volumes 1-6 have probably been reprinted too recently, anyway.

John

Yep, those ones arent a problem getting, at least not here anyway. Shame about the 6th book being smaller than the others, grumble, and, no pictures, grumble grumble.

Thats shitty news about the rights to the first 8 books. Surprised about the length thing, especially with the size of most books in that section of the bookshop.

Archived