What Are You Reading?

Ser Barry

Reading the Nine Princes in Amber. Absolutely loving it. What a great family Corwin has, everytime two of them meet, the first thougt is whether one is trying to kill the other :lol: I love the dialogue, and the ubiquitous mistrust is hilarious. The book seems remarkably short for a fantasy.

Etulftune:

Nine Princes in amber is indeed a great book, and so is hte entire first Amber series. I think it is best viewed as one, big book. Zelazney has this style, gets to you from page one. Nine Princes remains one of my favorite books, after many years and rereads.

I would advise to stay away form the second Amber series. Many people, and me among them, think that it is vastly inferior to the first amber series, and in fact ruins tha magic and charm of the series.

I read all the Amber novels one after the other, and ODed on them. By the end of it I was skipping three pages every time the sodding Pattern turned up. Zelazny's prose is clearly admirably well-written, but a shade too... lysergic for me! I've never managed to finish another book by him, not even Lord of Light.

TrippleWinches, let us know how you find Storm Front - I've been thinking of giving Jim Butcher a try.

Yesterday, I've read Ellen Kuschner's Swordspoint and The Fall of Kings. They are really well written and the plots are quite fascinating, if one doesn't mind homosexual relationships of any kind, which I don't do. :P The ending of The Fall of Kings is really tough, no happy end, but I didn't expect it.

I also read Thomas Mann, Die Buddenbrooks, because I have never come around to read it before. I like it better than "Der Zauberberg".

Reading the Malazan books - just finished Deadhouse Gates and onto Memories of Ice. They are ... ok. There are other words besides "light-grey" to describe that color, and I'm not finding the mysteries of the books utterly compelling, but they do make me lose several hours at a stretch so I guess that's something.

Viriconium started to lose me with the short stories so I gave it up for a while - I think I only have one or two more to go, just got sick of the reliance on GRE words to make up for the repetitious plot. I know that the repetition is the point and the literary device and its utterly novel and amazing or whatever, I just stopped caring. I liked the pastel city and the bug one a lot, was sad the rest had to follow.

Also read Zelazney's first Amber series. Loved it, though by the fourth book came around the explanations of previous events were getting too damn long-winded. I ended up doing quite a bit of skipping before the climax. Judging by most people's impressions of the second series, I won't bother with it. I did the same thing with the second two Hyperion books: the story arc was finished to my satisfaction, so there's no point in reading a bunch more.

I'm reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. So far its been good although I think I'm going to have to go back and start again to really grasp whats going on. I made the mistake of starting the book last night when I was kind of drunk and I don't think I took in as much as I should have...

I just finished reading The Frontiersmen by Allan W. Eckert. Great narrative history of the settling of the Ohio valley. I have two more of his books tto read. The Dark and Bloody River and A Sorrow in Our Heart, The Life of Tecumseh.

A friend gave me the last two years of Dirt Wheels magazine. That will take up a little time.

Being that I am not a fast reader, I am going to have to take a break from reading for a little while to get some work caught up. :tantrum:

I've just started a new series (for me) by Jude Fisher. The first book, Sorcery Rising, is slow going at the moment.

In my other favourite genre (action/thriller) I have just finished reading Consent to Kill by Vince Flynn. It was what I expect from that genre - fast, fun, violent and plausible.

Cheers,

Stubby

R.E.Feist - Exile's Return

im halfway through - Kaspar is a nice character but the plot seems a bit "boringly" stretched and i am not expecting any surprises, this thing with the nameless god is getting out of hand....

King of foxes was a lot better

R.E.Feist - Exile's Return

im halfway through - Kaspar is a nice character but the plot seems a bit "boringly" stretched and i am not expecting any surprises, this thing with the nameless god is getting out of hand....

King of foxes was a lot better

I used to really like Feist. I thought he jumped the shark on the Krondor series. I had a bit of hope with Talon of the Silver Hawk, as I felt it was much better than the Krondor books, but I hated King of Faxes... I have Exile's Return but havent read it yet. Picked it up in the discount bin. My be farther and farther down the list if its worse than KoF.

I read them all ages ago, but I remeber rather liking the second Amber chronicles. They weren;t as good as the first, but they did have some nice bits. I remeber liking Luke and Merlins fresh perspective, and a particulalry good cliffhanger, possuibly in the third book. And something about a mictrowave oven.

My favorite Zelazny book is stilla "A Night in the Lonesome Octpber" though.

I've been abandoning a lot of books in the middle lately, maybe becuase of the number i'm trying to read concurrently, which I ma not happy with, but at the moment -

The first War of Souls book, but Weis and Hickman, which is fun, I have to admit.

Something about the British Mandate ("Days of the Poppy". I think it was transalated as "One land, Undivided", but an not sure" by Tom Segev, which is fun, though it has some people giving me sad looks as it's unzionist. (I think I am mature enough to spot a bias in a book, thank-you-very-much)

These same poeple have me reading:

The Art of Loving, by Erich Fromm (which is driving me mad)

and The First Man, by Albert Camie, (whihc i'm quite liking)

I may still get back to Foundation, which I'm reading for the first time, having stalled somewhere in the middle of Second foundation about three weeks ago for some reason, and I;ve just finished Strange & Norrel, which was nice, but left no particular impression.

I have just stopped reading "Song of the Selkies" by Cathie Dunsford. What seemed to be a book full of promise - judging by what was written on the back of it - turned out to be disappointing.

The other two books I am reading at the moment are far more enthralling.

The Knight of the Flaming Heart by Michael Carson. Lovely prose.

The Apothecary's House by Adrian Mathews. This guy won the CWA Silver Dagger Award for his book "Vienna Blood" in 1999. He's the goods.

Just finished Briar King by Greg Keyes, i want to like this book but still ambivalent even when done reading it, with a little bit more effort it would have been so much better, more depth to the characters and a litle more polish to the writing, i hope Charnel Prince is an improvment.

Also just done reading The Pale Horseman by Cornwell, and was a bit underwhelmed the first third was a drag it picked up slightly toward the end but this is definitely one to get at the library.

Currently half way through Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrel and absolutely loving it, i am nursing this book dont want to finish it till i get TTT by Bakker.

Archived