Breaking Bad Season 3

WarGalley

[quote name='Blaine23' post='1754441' date='Apr 14 2009, 10.35']I took it a different way. I actually thought Walt was trying to help Jesse by urging him to do something about the robbery. Because if Jesse didn't, someone was going to end up killing Jesse for being weak.[/quote]

Really? I didn't get that at all. I don't see how Walt telling Jesse to "handle it" while tossin him a gun is in any way a [i] safer [/i] option. I mean Walt knows jesse's not the sharpest thorn on the rose bush.

I think Walt was worried about his money.

[quote name='Relic' post='1754497' date='Apr 14 2009, 10.22']Really? I didn't get that at all. I don't see how Walt telling Jesse to "handle it" while tossin him a gun is in any way a [i] safer [/i] option. I mean Walt knows jesse's not the sharpest thorn on the rose bush.[/quote]
Well, if Walt was a [i]really[/i] nice guy, he wouldn't be making meth. Whether or not it was cruel, I still think Walt was right. If Jesse can't handle this, then he's not going to be able to handle any of it.

And I don't think Jesse's so much stupid as he is lazy.

[quote]I think Walt was worried about his money.[/quote]
Oh definitely. But only as it would relate to further loss of profits due to Jesse's lax business practices.

If Walt was that worried about the stolen money, he would've taken care of it himself. Which he's shown that's he's capable of doing - either with some chemical poison or a bike lock.

[quote name='Relic' post='1754124' date='Apr 13 2009, 21.26']what i dont get is his urging jesse to do something about the stolen drugs/money. It's not like he was willing to go do it himself. was a stupid and malicious act on his part.[/quote]

I think Walt was glad to have the chance to force Jesse to take some action about getting ripped off, but he's right that Jesse can't let that sort of shit happen if he wants to stay in business. And whether Walt would have been willing to do something himself doesn't matter since its really on Jesse, Mr. We're Doing it My Way This Time, to take care of the street end of business.

[quote name='Blaine23' post='1754528' date='Apr 14 2009, 11.47']If Jesse can't handle this, then he's not going to be able to handle any of it.[/quote]

He seemed to be handling distribution to his dealers just fine. he made, what, 30 grand in 2 days? let him keep it up for a few weeks and you got a quarter mil. After which...why not just lay low? Why is Walter getting so greedy? There is a lot less risk involved in distribution than there in in enforcement. Especially for a guy like Jesse.

I don't buy Walt being concerned for jesse in that conversation. I think Walt is riding some weird power high after dealing with Tucco and getting away with it.

Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield and other shows I've watched all seem to agree that drug distribution does require violence, unless you're just selling marijuana to your friends or something like that. Relic, though Walt scares me now and I didn't like it when he handed Jesse the gun, I think Blaine and Mance (and Walt) have a point.

[quote name='Relic' post='1754548' date='Apr 14 2009, 11.03']He seemed to be handling distribution to his dealers just fine. he made, what, 30 grand in 2 days? let him keep it up for a few weeks and you got a quarter mil. After which...why not just lay low? Why is Walter getting so greedy? There is a lot less risk involved in distribution than there in in enforcement. Especially for a guy like Jesse.

I don't buy Walt being concerned for jesse in that conversation. I think Walt is riding some weird power high after dealing with Tucco and getting away with it.[/quote]

You're forgetting that Walt added it up and determined he needs 750k to leave to his family. Splitting 50/50 with Jesse then requires 1.5 mill profit at a minimum. "11 more deals", the fateful words in the car before the Tuco shit flew straight into the fan. Walt's reaction that people will continue to rip them off unless Jesse "handles" it is correct. Jesse's lil motley crew of dealers themselves will eventually get to the point were they are robbing him. He is a joke as any type of enforcer. Pete was there when the late lamented Tuco kicked the dogshit outta Jesse. How much respect do you think he or any of the others are truly gonna show him once their pockets get a lil fat and they decide they can keep what they want, cause there is nothing Jesse will or can do about it.

But thats a piddling concern. The new "Tuco" is gonna do what drug enforcers do. Namely get rid of the competition, one way or another. Walt is greedy because he knows they have a very small window to operate in before another heavyweight shows up. If he doesn't, he should. He didn't want Jesse to start the distribution side anyway.

Power high ? I disagree. I think he is more scared and more desperate now ever before. I reiterate, he is a weak, brilliantly stupid and selfish man. Willfully stupid in convincing himself that he can do this and no part of it will reach out and hurt his family. And maybe now, with good news from the doctor, he's feeling the pressure of paying for the treatment cause it looks like it just might prolong his life. Which I'd have to say is prolly the one variable that could force even me into a life of crime. If that was the only option I had.

And I'll agree, the sequence with the junkies, the cash machine and the "skank" fight was the weakest writing this show has yet produced. Jesse being stupid enough to let the skank coldcock him from behind ? oh hell yea. The way it played out ..... not so much. But this show has been good enough for me to forgive that one transgression.

^^^

That is pretty brilliant summation. But again i disagree that he is weak. He is extremely deceiving - both to himself and his family but i wouldn't call him weak. Oddly enough the only moment of weakness i can recall is him deciding to let Krazy 8 go when he knew he was putting his family in very great danger.

Walt is a rather complex fellow, so trying to pin him down to one adjective isn't going to work.
However, he is motivated to a great extent by bitterness and pride. In fact, I would go so far as to say the material problems he's facing in life are only a secondary motivation or catalyst. All he had to do, was accept money from his former friends and the material problems would vanish. But no, that's not what drives him. He's bitter since "playing by the rules" his whole life has brought him to a low position where he has to rely on the charity of others to live. His pride makes him want to solve everything by himself. The combination of these two factors (total self reliance, disavowing his goody two-shoes former self) drives him straight into a criminal career.
As for the future, I really hope the cartels do go to war with our protagonists. You just know Walt is going to have to get involed and we're going to start seeing a lot of exploding shit. Whenever Walt's back is to the wall, he always falls back on the thing that never failed him (and ironically, probably killed him), science.

helluva episode last night !!!!!

Here I was, expecting Tortuga to be the new variation of Tuco ..... OOPS!

(Much like the cowboyish agents and police who where making a big deal out of putting down Hank. To quote Gomer Pyle. Surprise, surprise, surprise)

Jesse and Walt's ongoing dysfunctional relationship. Jesse is too weak, so Walt has no respect for anything he says and Walt has no clue as to what his "expansion" plans are gonna bring. He dismisses Tuco as a crazed pyschopath, which he was. But you need at least one of those somewhere close to the top to maintain a successful drug selling operation. Man, they are in for a world of hurt.

Skyler and her new/old boss. Interesting subplot developing there. Much like Walt and the chick he dissed last week ( I forget her name .. Gretchen ? ) more surprises and secrets in store.

Here we are what ? half way thru the season, and I take pleasure in saying I have NO idea wtf is gonna happen next. lol

Power high ? I disagree. I think he is more scared and more desperate now ever before. I reiterate, he is a weak, brilliantly stupid and selfish man. Willfully stupid in convincing himself that he can do this and no part of it will reach out and hurt his family. And maybe now, with good news from the doctor, he's feeling the pressure of paying for the treatment cause it looks like it just might prolong his life. Which I'd have to say is prolly the one variable that could force even me into a life of crime. If that was the only option I had.

I think this last episode confirms what i said earlier. Walter is a delusional asshole trippin on a power high and is willing to let Jesse do dumb and dangerous shit (more dangerous than cooking, that is). Walter's greed is probably going to get Jesse killed. Corner the market? With no enforcement? Blowfish? Obviously Walter needs to sit down and watch The Wire. Get introduced to guys like WeeBay, Chris Partlow, Avon Barksdale, Marlo Stanfield, and Omar Little.

Meanwhile Jesse's stupidity (i say this even tho he's my favorite character on the show) is endearing and ultimately tragic. He knew better than Walter but bought into it anyway.

"What you've never seen a severed human head on a tortoise before?"

Fucking classic line. and what happened after as pretty shocking. Apparently the Cartel doesnt fuck around.

While watching i couldn't help but wonder where else i had seen an intelligent man trying to apply real world economics to the Game with next to no muscle and how well that worked out for him.

Walt's getting desperate now - his pregnant wife is working. I can understand him wanting to expand and raise prices. I just don't know if i believe Walt and his speil about "not violence, intimidation. You know get your money back"

I'm also surprised by how violent the Cartel are. Isn't there an unspoken law out there that you don't fuck with the Law or it gets really ugly ? From what we have seen these dealers jerk the Law around as they wish.

Also seeing as they all-mighty song says the Drugs go over the border who else thinks the FBI will get involved in this "international drug smuggling" man hunt. Shit looks dire.

I think this last episode confirms what i said earlier. Walter is a delusional asshole trippin on a power high and is willing to let Jesse do dumb and dangerous shit (more dangerous than cooking, that is). Walter's greed is probably going to get Jesse killed. Corner the market? With no enforcement? Blowfish?

I seem to have missed the episode where Walter forced Jesse to go into the sales business. Oh, wait... no I believe Jesse demanded to. Walter's naive, but at least he's trying to do something other than just half-ass a few drug deals and call himself a kingpin.

Meanwhile Jesse's stupidity (i say this even tho he's my favorite character on the show) is endearing and ultimately tragic. He knew better than Walter but bought into it anyway.

Jesse reminds me more than a bit of Ziggy for Wire S2.

"What you've never seen a severed human head on a tortoise before?"

Fucking classic line. and what happened after as pretty shocking. Apparently the Cartel doesnt fuck around.

Seriously. That was totally the biggest WTF moment this show's had yet. Loved it.

Walter's naive, but at least he's trying to do something other than just half-ass a few drug deals and call himself a kingpin.

And how is that commendable? it's going to get someone killed.

jesse was content making 45k a week. i would be too.

Archived