NHL: Stanley Cup Playoffs

BLU-RAY

On Tuesday? I thought NBC was only carrying weekend games?

The mighty network has deigned to carry games 6 and 7 also, since, ya know, I guess they figured that, well, there's the possibility that there just might be some excitement generated by the final games of the SCF. Versus only had games 3 & 4.

Just thank God that "America's Got Talent" hasn't started yet, or the geniuses at NBC might not have gone for it. Not that I mind watching it on Versus, I'm just glad it's getting more exposure.

Whoa. I was gonna go try and watch the third period, but, uh... yeah. WTF just happened? I looked away from following the game for like five minutes, and bam! 5-0.

Good game. First time the Wings have come even close to playing on all cylinders, and the first game of the series where they didn't look tired and slow. I thought Detroit got rattled a little last game, but Pittsburgh really looked like they lost their shit with all the extra-curricular, stupid penalties.

I've come to the conclusion that Malkin is incredibly talented, and a total hack when he's frustrated. Tracking like a heat-seeking missile to instigate a fight with perennial tough-guy Zetterberg was a pretty douchey, but the elbow and petty cross-check on Franzen tonight sealed it for me. Used to like him, too. I didn't like Crosby before anyway, but his stick work is pretty sad, too.

Wow. Didn't stay up to watch it but I wish I had. (OK, honestly I'd have gone to bed once they were up 3 - 0 or so, but still.) I didn't expect this.

Phew! I was so worried about the Pens that I bet $10 (100 kr) on them, knowing that I'm absolutely terrible at making bets. If there is a game 7, I might have to sacrifice some of my hard earned cash again.

I've come to the conclusion that Malkin is incredibly talented, and a total hack when he's frustrated. Tracking like a heat-seeking missile to instigate a fight with perennial tough-guy Zetterberg was a pretty douchey, but the elbow and petty cross-check on Franzen tonight sealed it for me. Used to like him, too. I didn't like Crosby before anyway, but his stick work is pretty sad, too.

I've actually started to respect Sid more after seeing his play in this playoffs. Works hard defensively and is always creative offensively. Sure, he talks a lot, but he's backing it up with hits and other physical play. Playing ugly is better than hiding behind the refs, in my opinion.

Malkin is the opposite of that russian drafted ahead of him in 2004. You don't want to ignite Alex because that's when he really starts to do some damage. If you ignite Malkin, he'll do some serious damage... to his own team.

Phew! I was so worried about the Pens that I bet $10 (100 kr) on them, knowing that I'm absolutely terrible at making bets. If there is a game 7, I might have to sacrifice some of my hard earned cash again.

I've actually started to respect Sid more after seeing his play in this playoffs. Works hard defensively and is always creative offensively. Sure, he talks a lot, but he's backing it up with hits and other physical play. Playing ugly is better than hiding behind the refs, in my opinion.

Malkin is the opposite of that russian drafted ahead of him in 2004. You don't want to ignite Alex because that's when he really starts to do some damage. If you ignite Malkin, he'll do some serious damage... to his own team.

That's just not even remotely true. Generally speaking if you physically engage him he plays better. And it's really, really hard to frustrate him. It's not like he had a bad game before he went after zetterberg.

He's finally starting to show some emotion after being basically a robot his first two seasons, and it's been mostly a good thing.

I phrased my opinion really badly, and really exaggerated as well.

Malkin steps up and answers to physical play, but he doesn't change into an extra gear when that happens. When Evgeni becomes noticeably frustrated - which happens once in a blue moon that I know of - he loses some focus on other aspects of the game. That's perfectly normal and happens to most elite hockey players.

It's not like he had a bad game before he went after zetterberg.

It was absolutely out of frustration, though, whether that's over his own performance or his team's. Zetterberg isn't even a physical player to speak of, much less a fighter, so you can't say it was meant to give his team an emotional lift no matter how Pittsburgh's locker room tried to spin it. Fights meant to give emotional lifts target pests, the other team's tough guy, or someone who has taken liberties with your teammates. Not guys who appear to not even know -how- to drop their gloves upon video review. Kunitz did the same thing to Helm last night when he started going after him - how that wasn't an instigator I have no idea.

Not that people get suspended for that sort of thing anyway.

In the end it doesn't matter all that much; no one's gotten hurt from it so there's no reason to get too worked up. I was just saying that I was surprised that he appeared to lose his shit pretty easily in a few of these games.

I hope I don't have to stress out over a game seven.

It was absolutely out of frustration, though, whether that's over his own performance or his team's. Zetterberg isn't even a physical player to speak of, much less a fighter, so you can't say it was meant to give his team an emotional lift no matter how Pittsburgh's locker room tried to spin it. Fights meant to give emotional lifts target pests, the other team's tough guy, or someone who has taken liberties with your teammates.

Of course it was out of frustration.

Zetterberg is a pest. The skill guys have always gotten frustrated by the clutch and grab guys, and he;s not exactly a blushing virgin when it comes to using his stick. Being able to drop the gloves has little to do with it. Have you ever seen Cooke fight? He never drops the gloves, and the few times he has it's been embarrassing.

And that was Malkins first fight in the NHL, so......

In the end it doesn't matter all that much; no one's gotten hurt from it so there's no reason to get too worked up. I was just saying that I was surprised that he appeared to lose his shit pretty easily in a few of these games.

I think it's a pretty predictable result given the way the games are being called (or not called I guess).

I hope you do.

;)

Thankfully you do :P

My daughters stage rehearsal for her dance recital is Friday night. It will really suck if I'm not home in time but I think I will be.

Conn Smythe candidates in your opinion?

Pens: Malkin and Crosby (duh)... Crosby has been great, but Malkin has already reached numbers that only Gretzky, Lemieux, Coffey, Bossy and Gilmour have reached before.

Red Wings: Osgood, Franzen and Zetterberg. Osgood has been really solid, and is certainly not just a product of his team this year. Z has been all over Sid while also contributing offensively, but I don't think it's likely that he'll win two consecutive CS - something only Parent and Lemieux have done.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the Wings didn't win last night. Now I'm going to have to stay up/wake up for the 3:00 a.m. start Saturday morning.

As far as Conn Smythe goes I haven't seen enough of the Penns to make a call but as dubious as I was about Osgood's quality, pre-playoffs, I think I'd give it to him.

I'd comment, but I'm too friggin nervous.

Dude...I hear you.

We may have opposing viewpoints and teams...but best of luck. It's been a great one!

Dammit tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Archived