NHL: Stanley Cup Playoffs

BLU-RAY

It was absolutely 100% Interference. Again, not that Kronwall had any way of avoiding that.

Was it though? I know he hadn't actually played the puck, but it was right under his feet. I thought that the rule had more to do with proximity of the puck than whether the guy actually plays it or not? I'm honestly not sure exactly how that rule is written though, so i could be wrong.

Certainly it is not a penalty you would normally see called in that situation either way.

Certainly it is not a penalty you would normally see called in that situation either way.

I believe as written, he has to play the puck to avoid interference. I agree that it wouldn't normally be called in that scenario. I only brought it up after the 'no penalty at all' comment, and was bored waiting for the game to start.

I believe as written, he has to play the puck to avoid interference. I agree that it wouldn't normally be called in that scenario. I only brought it up after the 'no penalty at all' comment, and was bored waiting for the game to start.

Gotcha.

I really thought the canes would put up more of a fight in this series.

It's possible that the pens are the traditional 'team peaking at just the right time'.

It's going to be painful waiting nine freaking days for the finals.

Pretty sure at this point game one is June fifth regardless of what happens tomorrow. Ridiculous.

I heard on local radio earlier today that if the Pens swept (done) and Detroit won Wednesday the NHL was considering starting it this weekend since they weren't happy with so long of a wait. Don't know how accurate it is but all the local sports guys are reporting it and hoping for it since they think it will give the Pens a slight boost with Detroit a bit older and with some injuries.

You can only hit someone if they see you coming???

It's easier to get a head shot when the head is down and they don't see you coming.

And from the angles I've seen, it doesn't even look like he hits him in the head. it looks like his shoulder initially connects with the chest, not the head. Frankly, if he had been going for the head, havlat would probably be dead.

i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

From what I saw it was a direct hit to the head but I guess we'll have to agree to disasgree.

As a side note the NHLPA stated that this was the type of hit they're trying to get out of the game and it seems they're the ones really pushing for the rule change.

I wonder if the owners and the league will push it through.

Me Idiot Tie Domi and Mario Lemieux being friends trips me out.

Even if Chicago mounts a comeback I have to cheer against the Penguins to uphold all I know of superstition and the hockey gods. I'm sure whoever comes out of the West will be playing that clip of them hoistring the PoW on loop - that whole tradition is so much more about symbolizing the fact that nothing but the cup matters than just a superstition, and I think Sid made himself and his assistant captains look rather chumpish.

He went for the head.

I'm curious as to how you can be so sure of someone's intent when the league saw the same film as everyone else, and would have surely suspended Kronwall if they agreed that there was intent to injure. Only a hip check, which in this case may very well have ended Havlat's career and/or ripped his legs off, would have insured that no contact was made to the head. His hands and elbows were down, and he was on his feet at the time of impact. If there had been an intent to injure Havlat might still be out - Kronwall had every opportunity to end his season had he been intending to.

that whole tradition is so much more about symbolizing the fact that nothing but the cup matters than just a superstition, and I think Sid made himself and his assistant captains look rather chumpish.

It's a whole lot more about superstition than symbolism. Winning the EC finals is an accomplishment. Scott Stevens didn't look so chumpish when he did it.

I just know I'd be pretty ticked if our players were posing and smiling with it. That's not meant to take away from the accomplishment of winning your conference, but like in every other sport that's the sort of accomplishment that can be visited in the off-season when your job is done.

Besides, Crosby said his reason was a superstitious one, just not in the way that most players approach it. Its not like he was celebrating their conference championship.

Even if Chicago mounts a comeback I have to cheer against the Penguins to uphold all I know of superstition and the hockey gods. I'm sure whoever comes out of the West will be playing that clip of them hoistring the PoW on loop - that whole tradition is so much more about symbolizing the fact that nothing but the cup matters than just a superstition, and I think Sid made himself and his assistant captains look rather chumpish.

Scott Stevens lifted it. Petr Sykora lifted it (with NJ). Mario Lemieux lifted it.

I guess since it's Crosby he whined, dived, and looked like a chump lifting it, huh?

I really don't see what the big deal is. I mean, don't get me wrong, I was a bit surprised when I first saw it, but after hearing his explanation and then Dan Bylsma on Rome saying that Mario pretty much told them to do it...I'm OK with it.

Yeah... Lemieux did it and then won the cup. Your freaking Red Wings, led by Stevie Y, did it in '97 and won the cup (Campbell trophy, not PoW, but still); and the Devils did it twice and won the cup after. Really not that big a deal.

lots of players have picked it up. if i recall, it's split about 50/50 among those who did and those who didn't. mario definitely did in the early nineties.

I'm glad he picked it up.

Besides, Crosby said his reason was a superstitious one, just not in the way that most players approach it. Its not like he was celebrating their conference championship.

This is true...he touched it for entirely superstitious reasons. But not touching it would have been equally superstitious, so it doesn't really bother me much. It's not a big deal, and I really doubt people would have a problem if it wasn't Sidney Crosby. Who knows though, we Pens fans are a bit overly defensive of our captain.

As I type this, the Wings just put away the Hawks...Pens fans have been waiting all year for this.

No seriously, with two of my most hated teams in the finals... it's the end of the world. Just as it was the same time last year. The Playoffs are over for me already :( . Any Habs fans here?

Archived