So, I hate Daenerys

Thor85

There is none (to my knowledge). GRRM despises fanfiction, and has sworn to hunt down anyone who creates said fanfiction around his work.

When did GRRM say this? "Hunt down", lol. I just got this weird image of Mr. Martin, in black shades and wearing a biker's leather jacket, driving a Harley and packing a shotgun. A badass killing machine, hunting for fanfic writers. If that is what has been taking up his free time (besides attending all those cons) no wonder the Dance is so behind schedule. But no kidding that image is still stuck in my head and I'm starting to giggle like a madman. Thanks alot Ser :).

Many on this board hate Daenerys. You are certainly not alone.

Quite true. I find her character to simply be one of those ones that I really do not care about in the slightest. After she hatched the Dragons, I considered her importance and relevance to the story to have been fully completed. Now, reading her chapters has become an increasingly difficult chore, which I do only because it is the only means for gaining new and interesting information about what is going on with the Dragons. If we could just mute her POV (or kill her off entirely) and get the update on the Dragons from another, more interesting character I would be exstatic! That's why I am hoping that Vic or Tyrion will take command of the Dragons soon. Then she can either become a secondary character of no real importance (Tyrion could keep her for a bed-warmer and I wouldn't mind that), or get carried off to serve Euron (or preferably Vic), or just get killed.

I am also one of the ones that loathes Catelyn. As you said though, that is a topic for a different thread entirely. :leaving:

I do think that Martin writes his women very well, my dislike of Dany and Cat has nothing to do with "bad writing", and even less to do with their gender. I just do not like their personalities, or their characters in general. Everyone has favorite characters, and everyone has characters that they dislike.

:cheers:

I really don't like Dany mostly because, imo, she detracts from the events going on in Westeros.

I just get this bad feeling that nothing anyone does on the island of Westeros will matter, because she will just swoop in and ruin everyone's fun and send the trouble makers to bed without supper.

If someone would just kill her and John off i would be much happier.

Although i understand John's character goes in a new direction in the new book and as such could be saved from my eternal hatred.

When did GRRM say this? "Hunt down", lol. I just got this weird image of Mr. Martin, in black shades and wearing a biker's leather jacket, driving a Harley and packing a shotgun. A badass killing machine, hunting for fanfic writers. If that is what has been taking up his free time (besides attending all those cons) no wonder the Dance is so behind schedule. But no kidding that image is still stuck in my head and I'm starting to giggle like a madman. Thanks alot Ser :).

Someone needs to photoshop this.

:leaving:

If we could just mute her POV (or kill her off entirely) and get the update on the Dragons from another, more interesting character I would be exstatic! That's why I am hoping that Vic or Tyrion will take command of the Dragons soon.

:cheers: Exactly how I feel. Start a campaign to emancipate the dragons from their mother? Maybe GRRM will listen.

Someone needs to photoshop this.

:leaving:

Too bad I'm horrible with that kind of technology. Hope somebody tech-savy is reading though. GRRMinator :smoking: is something I would love to see.

Too bad I'm horrible with that kind of technology. Hope somebody tech-savy is reading though. GRRMinator :smoking: is something I would love to see.

As soon as my home PC is back up and running at full capacity I'll be all over this! I might even consider changing my Avatar (temporarily) when it's complete.

As soon as my home PC is back up and running at full capacity I'll be all over this! I might even consider changing my Avatar (temporarily) when it's complete.

You're my hero, Blauer Dragon. :wideeyed:

ETA: I was imagining something along these lines http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-conten...omp-sdhd-01.jpg (with GRRM's bearded face in place of Arny's).

(Tyrion could keep her for a bed-warmer and I wouldn't mind that), or get carried off to serve Euron (or preferably Vic), or just get killed.

Of course. No thread about women in ASOIAF would be complete without Blauer Dragon to tell us how they should be sex slaves anyway. Thank God George Martin is writing this series and not Blauer Dragon.

I don't hate Dany, but I don't especially like her either. I just don't want any Targ back on the Iron Throne, especially not one who thinks it is her birthright and all should bow down before her majesty. It was only her birthright while there was a Targ on the throne, once they got booted off the rights of birth transferred to the line of the new king.

She has a purpose to serve in delivering the dragons to Westeros, so in that I would like for her to succeed without coming under the yoke of some man. But I want Westeros to reject Targ overlordship and so she will need to die in the end, otherwise her story will end unsatisfactorily: either she will become queen (not satisfying to me) or there will be some plot device used to make her accept that she is no longer entitled to be queen, which would be ridiculous.

I don't hate Dany, but I don't especially like her either. I just don't want any Targ back on the Iron Throne, especially not one who thinks it is her birthright and all should bow down before her majesty. It was only her birthright while there was a Targ on the throne, once they got booted off the rights of birth transferred to the line of the new king.

Bah. If there's one single point to the backstory, it's that nobody has a bloody "right" to the throne, the Baratheons least of all.

Oh, and technically speaking, Stannis being attainted; if Myrcella were to die, Daenerys would be Tommen's heir. If you want to use the argument of legality. Frankly, Daenerys isn't going to be very concerned about legality when she comes to Westeros. Neither was Aegon the Dragon.

She has a purpose to serve in delivering the dragons to Westeros, so in that I would like for her to succeed without coming under the yoke of some man. But I want Westeros to reject Targ overlordship and so she will need to die in the end, otherwise her story will end unsatisfactorily: either she will become queen (not satisfying to me) or there will be some plot device used to make her accept that she is no longer entitled to be queen, which would be ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, why do you want the Targaryens gone? The majority of them weren't execrable rulers. The only problem with them is that some subset of them are insane. That problem can be avoided if they have enough depth in lineage to rule the crazy ones out of the succession.

Bah. If there's one single point to the backstory, it's that nobody has a bloody "right" to the throne, the Baratheons least of all.

Baratheons least of all? They won through right of conquest, with a dollop of inheritance rights. There's only been one Baratheon on the throne (one real Baratheon, that is) so we have no real ability to analyze the whole dynasty.

Oh, and technically speaking, Stannis being attainted; if Myrcella were to die, Daenerys would be Tommen's heir.

Only if you accept the "Baratheon" children as actual Baratheons, when in fact they are not. Stannis' heir is his daughter, and that makes her the next true ruler of Westeros. (Or more likely, whoever she marries, assuming - unrealistically, of course - that the next ruler inherits the position rather than winning by sword.)

Out of curiosity, why do you want the Targaryens gone? The majority of them weren't execrable rulers. The only problem with them is that some subset of them are insane.

More than enough were nuts. Even ignoring the obvious incest problem, if there's a family where a lot of them are nuts, and this continues over generations (in ASoIaF, genetics works differently, which is why all Starks seem to look alike, etc), I think it's reasonable to select another ruling family.

Westeros also should be ruled by people who are culturally Westerosi. If the Targaryens had adopted Westerosi culture (in important matters) there could have been far fewer problems, but they ruled as if they were under siege, with only their precious dragons to protect them, and once the dragons were gone, their end wasn't long in coming.

And of course, there's only one acknowledged Targaryen right now, who may be barren. That's not much use in establishing a dynasty. Let's hope that if Dany wins, she finds someone who is culturally Westerosi to raise any kids she might have, assuming she's not barren.

That problem can be avoided if they have enough depth in lineage to rule the crazy ones out of the succession.

They simply handed the throne to whoever was next in line; I don't know if that's a Valyrian custom, Westerosi custom, or both. In real-life, many Muslim nations are ruled by kings, and they select a family member based on merit, not just birth order. This is a much better solution all round, although the influence peddling can cause obvious problems.

Of course. No thread about women in ASOIAF would be complete without Blauer Dragon to tell us how they should be sex slaves anyway. Thank God George Martin is writing this series and not Blauer Dragon.
That is SO Not Fair. You wound me, truly. I happen to like the free spirited wildling women, I adore Arya, and I have a fondness for the sand-snakes as well. There are a few women in the series that I think might be better as sex slaves than they are as characters, but even then I would much rather see them just killed off or retired from POV status. I do not think that all women should be sex slaves, and truth being told I would find any form of slavery that was not strictly limited to the fantasy realm to be outrageously dispicable. Had I written the series, it would not have been nearly as good, but I don't think it would have a great deal more slavery or violence towards women than it already has.

A home pc? Is this a new development, Blauer?
Yes, it is.

I have been frankensteining the remnants of my old PCs together to try and make something that can pass as a computer for some time now. I managed to find a way to use my big-screen T.V. as a replacement monitor (granted it doesn't handle text very well, and I'll probably go blind from trying to squint at it, but...) I got a 1TB external HDD to store data, I pieced together a 10GB internal to house an operating system, I even found a $12.00 sound card... lately, I've been working on ways to get online despite the fact that I owe over $450.00 to Cox Cable before I can even think about getting service through them. My neighbor is allowing me to use a little of his bandwidth at the moment, but he's really paranoid because someone hacked his network a few months ago and almost got his internet shut off for pirating, so... that might not last long. For now, I've talked him into turning his router on for short periods here and there when he's around and can monitor to make sure that I am the only one connecting to it.

Yes, it is.

I have been frankensteining the remnants of my old PCs together to try and make something that can pass as a computer for some time now. I managed to find a way to use my big-screen T.V. as a replacement monitor (granted it doesn't handle text very well, and I'll probably go blind from trying to squint at it, but...) I got a 1TB external HDD to store data, I pieced together a 10GB internal to house an operating system, I even found a $12.00 sound card... lately, I've been working on ways to get online despite the fact that I owe over $450.00 to Cox Cable before I can even think about getting service through them. My neighbor is allowing me to use a little of his bandwidth at the moment, but he's really paranoid because someone hacked his network a few months ago and almost got his internet shut off for pirating, so... that might not last long. For now, I've talked him into turning his router on for short periods here and there when he's around and can monitor to make sure that I am the only one connecting to it.

Holy crap! No way you could cadge or whine your way into getting a used 'puter from the school? Then, just use ordinary cheap dial-up for awhile? This all sounds so complicated--makes my head hurt and my eyes cross...

:stunned:

ETA: Back on topic--I really disliked Dany at first, if only because her chapters took me away from Westeros, where I was enthralled in discovering that world. I'd be like, who IS this strange child and her psycho brother and all those bizarre characters and why should I care? Take me back to Westeros! But I really enjoy her story now, look forward to much more of it. I confess I've got a soft spot now for the Targs. They seem a distinct sub-species to me, gifted and crazy as they are. Like a butterfly in a nest full of moths, or a fairy amongst the leprechauns--not 'better' or 'superior' but oh so different.

Oddly i always felt Arrya and Dany were so similar

I love Arya, both reading about her and the character herself. She was my favorite character in Clash of Kings, which is my favorite book in the series, and not just due to Arya's chapters - it was thoroughly the best book.

Dany's chapters blow hot and cold on readability, and I find the character to be highly enigmatic. She has some traits that are worthy of empathy, but she is extraordinarily dangerous, downright childish, and at times just plain batshit insane. However, she is not stupid, She is quite intelligent, and is capable of making shrewd decisions.

The difference between Dany's childishness and Arya's is that Dany has this royal sense of entitlement that I dislike strongly, whereas Arya is just impulsive and emotional. Arya just wants to get back to her mother. Totally believable at her age.

Archived