A thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

Started up a Hip-Hop blog a week or so back if anyone's interested :)

http://rhythmanpoetry.blogspot.com/

I'm there right now.

Right off the bat,... Dirt KILLED that fool! KILLED HIM!

Serious beatdown imo. Smooth lyricism by Dirt. He was funny. He didn't lose his cool and even used Skillet's aggression to his detriment. S. Skillet was too loud. It's like he was trying to fight his way through a battle and forgetting that elocution is important if you want ppl to feel what you're putting across. Same when you're dissing ppl.

Anyway nice work on the blog. I left you a comment and I'll be through every now and then.

One last question for the forum, you only have to answer with one word. Bizzy or Krayzie?

This thread defiantly needs a bump. I've been trying to find some great hip hop that new or I've slept on. Here are some of the gems I've found:

Brother Ali's Breaking Dawnhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agG-cNXTnNw&feature=fvsr

Great song and great video. The video is a B&W visual treat. I've listened to Brother Ali before (I own Shadows on the Sun) but I'm still constantly blown away by him.

Chali 2na's Step Yo Game Up

2na was Jurassic 5's most talented MC. I'm pleased that he's pursued a solo career (I own Fish Outta Watter).

Eternia & Moss's Goodbye

I first discovered Eternia years ago when she came hard on Classified's Just The Way It Is
Eternia's magnus opus was probably It's Called Life her 2005 album but her new album At Last seems dope.

D-Sisive's

I've listened to a lot of D-Sisive's music but discovered this track I had slept on yesterday. I love it, especially the beat.

• 3 weeks later...

What is wrong with Lauryn Hill. I can't even call her L-Boogie anymore, she left her groove and her mind back in the 90's. First she deep-sixed any chance of my favorite group of all-time ever getting back together, now I read about a performance she gave last month to fans in her own neighborhood where she showed up 5 hours late to her own gig and then proceeded to suck.

It sucks enough that hiphop is has little of the reverence for it's own history that rock music does without a talented gyal like Ms. Hill ripping what legacy she has left to shreds in her own back yard.

http://www.baristanet.com/2011/02/lauryn-hill-sucked/

http://caldwells.patch.com/articles/the-ms-lauryn-hill-experience-3

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/02/lauryn_hill_end.html

The reviews weren't the greatest, so I checked it out for myself. Wasn't bad at all. Lauryn's too good to ever be bad, but it was subpar by her own standards and combined with a long wait for her to show up probably soured ppl. I agree with alot of the ppl that the band she had was horrible for her style of music. It was too loud and the style they went with didn't settle with the Neo-soul style we all remember her for.

Then again, it wasn't really the band as much as the fact that she changed so much of her old material that it really wasn't even the same music except for the words. Anything off of 'The Score', or 'Miseducation' were unrecognizeable.

Here are a few of her sets:

This thread defiantly needs a bump. I've been trying to find some great hip hop that new or I've slept on. Here are some of the gems I've found:

Brother Ali's Breaking Dawnhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agG-cNXTnNw&feature=fvsr

Great song and great video. The video is a B&W visual treat. I've listened to Brother Ali before (I own Shadows on the Sun) but I'm still constantly blown away by him.

D-Sisive's

I've listened to a lot of D-Sisive's music but discovered this track I had slept on yesterday. I love it, especially the beat.

thanks Stone for both of these, they're both new to me and I'm liking them!

I've been on a Joell & Joey kick, with some old Paradime favs~

Joell Ortiz-Snake Charmer

Joe Budden-Long Way to Go

Paradime-

• 2 weeks later...

After

i stopped caring.

When relations are as strained as they apparrently were for them, the first thing to go is the creative process. I keep hearing that she's ready to go back into the studio, apparrently to release a new album. I'm open-minded, but I'm not expecting another MisEducation.

I can't believe Odd Future hasn't been brought up yet (though I tl;dr'd up until the last page). These guys are blowing up right now. Might be because these forums are usually pretty bitchy when it comes to the kind of stuff they're rapping about.

Basically they're a collective of a bunch of kids out of LA that are rappers, producers, skaters, artists, and just swagged out people in general who like to rap about killing, rape, and getting high. You can download all of their music on their website.

Check out the new single by one of the best members, Tyler.

They're basically being heralded as the next Wu-Tang, which is kinda ridiculous, but a lot of their stuff is really good. Domo Genesis' Rolling Papers has probably gotten the most play because I think it's hilarious, but Tyler and Earl are definitely the best rappers in the group.

I can't believe Odd Future hasn't been brought up yet (though I tl;dr'd up until the last page). These guys are blowing up right now. Might be because these forums are usually pretty bitchy when it comes to the kind of stuff they're rapping about.

Basically they're a collective of a bunch of kids out of LA that are rappers, producers, skaters, artists, and just swagged out people in general who like to rap about killing, rape, and getting high. You can download all of their music on their website.

Check out the new single by one of the best members, Tyler.

They're basically being heralded as the next Wu-Tang, which is kinda ridiculous, but a lot of their stuff is really good. Domo Genesis' Rolling Papers has probably gotten the most play because I think it's hilarious, but Tyler and Earl are definitely the best rappers in the group.

I was just talking to someone about OFWGKTA literally the other day. I hadn't really known much about them until I heard them being brought up on an MMA radio show of all places. So after hearing some of their stuff their style isn't really Wu, and noone can come close to RZA's creativity, but they've got a similar group dynamic to Gravediggaz (granted that's also RZA) more than Wu. Then again Tyler's only 19 and, like RZA, he seems to have a plan and a direction. The buzzing base takes me back a bit, which I like. One thing they have in common is Steve Rifkind though. Not that that type of shit means anything these days, but that's mostly where the comparisons come from.

Listening to Sandwiches on Fallon, they put on a good show. Even Felicia Day got into the act. Innovative production on this one. Plus few rap groups sound this good live (I'm pretty sure it was really live since FD said "Wolf" on the mic). It's one of my biggest pet peeves in rap how bad some rappers sound outside of the studio. They also remind me a bit of Onyx. It shows all of these hiphop haters who have come out of the woodwork in the last few years what good hiphop really is. Unfortunately they're getting labeled as backpacker hiphop, which is crazy. Good music is good music.

But they definitely turned some heads lately. I remember reading an article a few days ago about the stages of hiphop since it's inception mirrored rock music. 80s rap was like 60s rock, the origins of Elvis and Little Richard were classic like Run DMC or Slick Rick. The 90's were like the 70s for rock, the heyday some of the best music in both genres ever was put out as artist took the blueprint laid out by the previous decade and infused more dynamics. Social issues were tackled to an even greater depth. You had Tupac, Bone, Biggie and the Fugees to your Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix. Then the aughts were like the 80s for rock, overuse of synthesizers in rock and autotune in hiphop, and a general lack of substance where both genres knew they had arrived and got lazy and we were infuzed with overly gimmicked performers and one hit wonders. Like the 90's where college campuses led the alternative rock wave, you have underground rap gaining steam with talented artists honing thier crafts and gaining followings. OFWGKTA could be one of the first of a decade of hiphop revival. It's crazy bc horrorcore never really caught on and all of a sudden these kids are on the verge of bringing it mainstream. Anyway, if I can find that link to the article I'll post it here.

Another thing that's cool about them, they're bringing the hiphop collective back. Seriously what's the last hiphop group that made it big? D12? Does that even count?

So Detox finally has a release date, and it is, of course, April 20th.

Is that still a thing? It seems it's been talked to death about for like 10 years. I'm still gonna cop this.

It's 420 ya'll.

RIP Nate Dogg

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_17622472

LONG BEACH — Nathaniel D. Hale, known in the music industry as Nate Dogg, died Tuesday, his family announced.

The rap star, born and reared in Long Beach, Calif. was 41.

Cause of death is not known. However, Hale had suffered two strokes, one in 2007 and another in 2008.

So sad.

You know, taking nothing away from Wyclef bc he is crazy talented, Carnival was an incredible album. But when anyone talked about the Fugees, who was the heart and soul of that group, it was Lauren Hill. She was literally on top of the music world after MisEducation. What's up?

Damn! I knew he was in the hospital for awhile after his stroke and it was a bit sad to see the WC reunion broken up at Rock the Bells. Sad that he never recovered.

Archived