Horus Ex Machina

• 2 months later...

A couple of suggestions:

Caribou Lou - Tech N9ne

Run Remix - Ghostface feat. Jadakiss

Silver Rings - Raekwon feat. Ghostface

Shine - Pharoahe Monch feat. Mela Machinko

:shocked:

On top of all of that, Bad Meets Evil, their first collab in about a decade of bs is finally dropping next week. First Eminem album I've been really excited about in a long time. Definitely getting this. The single is already out and I'm really feelin it. Can't wait to see the video.

BTW, Golf Wang keeps cruising into the mainstream. Tyler the Creator's Goblin moved 50,000 units in it's first week. That's pretty nice territory to be in.

Tracks from Bad meets Evil are leaking out, my notes on the side:

I'm on Everything (feat. Mike Epps) - This track was the most fun I've had in awhile. Mike Epps was a trip and it worked nicely. "Syrup, pain killers, cigerettes, weed, Hennessey, vodka huh huh... I'm on Everythang!" This will be the other breakout single of the album. This track is fun but still goes hard.

Writers Block - This track is the reason why it's so important for Em to reunite with Royce. His style brings out an element in production and flow that Em rarely approaches on his own. Often it takes him being around other great lyricists to raise his own game. D12 had a bit of that but not like this. Royce held down this track pretty much solo with Em taking the hooks and he steals the show with his flows here.

Echo (feat. Liz Rodriguez - I heard this one awhile back, maybe I even posted it here. This was a bit of a slower track, but I fell in love with Liz' voice here. If these first few tracks are indicative of the whole album, there might not be a bad song on this album. :crying: I think I shed a tear.

Living Proof - This is another track that I think I posted here before, but Denaun put together a seriously slick beat on this one. It overwhelms the lyrics even; I found myself not listening as closely here and just bobbin my head.

Lighters (feat. Bruno Mars - This wasn't necessarily something that I was expecting to hear on this album, but the beat was solid and Em and Royce killed their verses. There's a chance that as much as it will probably be the least played by me initially, in about a year it will probably be the last track that still gets regular play in the vehicle. Still don't really care much for Bruno Mars, and if there was a weak part of this track, he was it. Not trying to diss, just my opinion. Like I said before, could have done without it, but it's something to play when you're out with your girl. She'll probably appreciate the fact that Bruno Mars was on it.

Can't wait for this album. Everyone needs to buy this one. Send a message. Free hip-hop!

Tyler's crazy good. I haven't heard as much from the rest of the members, but he's the leader clearly. As he says in one of his songs, I'm '90's Eminem'.

i'm sure you've seen this, but in case you haven't...

Travis fucking rocks the drums. Loved 'the One' remix.

Tracks from Bad meets Evil are leaking out, my notes on the side:

Eminem pisses me off, these days, but he's slowly pulling it back. He may win his old fans over yet. This is a smart move. Now, can we have a new D12 album?

Anyone like Lupe's last album, Lasers? It's not as good as Food and Liquor but im diggin it.

Pure garbage. Sounds very commercial. Although, my expectations weren't that high. I like him, he seems like a cool guy, but he's got little good material. 'Kick, push' was where it was good, and where it ended, effectively. Couple other good anthems otherwise, but nothing to discuss. Shame.

ETA: From this to

. Ugh.

Pure garbage. Sounds very commercial. Although, my expectations weren't that high. I like him, he seems like a cool guy, but he's got little good material. 'Kick, push' was where it was good, and where it ended, effectively. Couple other good anthems otherwise, but nothing to discuss. Shame.

ETA: From this to

. Ugh.

Yeah. Lasers was not very good; however, Food and Liquor was pure fire. I still listen to that album.

It's not horrible, but not great. I'd have to listen to a few other tracks. I've never been a huge Lupe guy, but I've purchased a good deal of his music. I'll see what I have to say about more off of that album.

Not sure who brought them up before in the topic, but I've been listening to 'Bliss n Eso' since. Really digging their music. :thumbsup:

ETA: Anyone listen to 'Prolyphic & Reanimator'? Pretty good

LASERS had it's share of problems, mainly the commercial production and choruses that his record label (Atlantic) forced him to use. He still managed to effectively out rap pretty much anyone in the genre though, as he tends to do. As a lyricst, no one in Hip-Hop can really compare.

In terms of pure lyricism, I'd take Pharoahe Monch or Tech N9ne ahead of him just off the top of my head. Lupe's talented, and in some ways innovative, but to say that he's the best lyricist is a bit of a stretch imo, but maybe that's just me.

ETA: Anyone listen to 'Prolyphic & Reanimator'? Pretty good

Nice. I especially like the scratch beats being used.

Eminem pisses me off, these days, but he's slowly pulling it back. He may win his old fans over yet. This is a smart move. Now, can we have a new D12 album?

I said before, this collab was the only thing that might bring me back to his music. Royce brings the best out of him bc of how good Royce is and the type of music that he's going to get Em to gravitate to. I agree, very smart move. I didn't buy his last album bc it didn't really move me. This album so far moves me.

LASERS had it's share of problems, mainly the commercial production and choruses that his record label (Atlantic) forced him to use. He still managed to effectively out rap pretty much anyone in the genre though, as he tends to do. As a lyricst, no one in Hip-Hop can really compare.

See, that just reminds me of

by Lupe.

'Bishop G, they told me I should come down cousin, but I flatly refuse I ain't dumb down nothing'

Oh yeah, Lu?

In terms of pure lyricism, I'd take Pharoahe Monch or Tech N9ne ahead of him just off the top of my head.

I'll need to check out Pharoahe Monch. Not familiar with his work. I mostly keep to the 'Strange Famous'/'Rhymesayers' artists.

I don't recall being impressed with what was admittedly scant listening to Tech N9ne. What're some good tracks to look out for?

ETA: For others,

is a sample of a good lyricist that I like called Sadistik. :thumbsup:

In terms of pure lyricism, I'd take Pharoahe Monch or Tech N9ne ahead of him just off the top of my head. Lupe's talented, and in some ways innovative, but to say that he's the best lyricist is a bit of a stretch imo, but maybe that's just me.

I'd be interested in how you define pure lyricism. Pharoahe Monch is an incredible lyricist and would be in my top 5 amongst Joe Budden, Slug and Nas. When it comes to concepts and extended metaphors, imo the hardest to execute but most rewarding forms of lyricism, no one really holds a candle to Lupe. I appreciate complex rhyme schemes but, for myself, they come a clear second to other forms of lyricism.

See, that just reminds me of

by Lupe.

'Bishop G, they told me I should come down cousin, but I flatly refuse I ain't dumb down nothing'

Oh yeah, Lu?

If only it was as easy as intention. Atlantic Records refused to release LASERS how Lupe had originally conceived it (i.e 'I'm Beaming' and 'Shining Down' which is the direction Lupe was going for). Lupe hadn't released an album for almost 3 years at this stage and there was no sign that Atlantic were about to cave in anytime soon, they shelved him. It took a petition from over 20 thousand fans and an actual protest outside of Atlantic records head office by fans to get them to compromise. The current version of LASERS was their compromise but they also appear to have allowed Lupe's next record, Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album, to be pretty much free of label politics. Lupe's claimed it's back to his F&L style of complex lyricism.

For all the talk of dumbing down, minus three records on LASERS (I Don't Wanna Care Right Now, Outta My Head & Coming Up) Lupe's lyrics aren't dumbed down at all. I mean the opening line to his second single is

'I believe the war on terror is a bunch of bullshit'

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in how you define pure lyricism. Pharoahe Monch is an incredible lyricist and would be in my top 5 amongst Joe Budden, Slug and Nas. When it comes to concepts and extended metaphors, imo the hardest to execute but most rewarding forms of lyricism, no one really holds a candle to Lupe. I appreciate complex rhyme schemes but, for myself, they come a clear second to other forms of lyricism.

Truthfully Tech N9ne isn't a great lyricist in the grand scheme but he has a very smooth flow. I usually grade a lyricist on a bit of a curve if he's a masterful lyricist but he lacks the flow to keep me interested. Tech N9ne's flow often is good enough to get me to listen to whatever he puts out but he isn't a metaphorical genius at all, so I'll concede that one.

Pharoahe however is definitely better imo and I'd also put Reggie Noble ahead of Lupe too even if he's not as busy. Joe Budden and Nas are also on my list and just to be fair I would say that pre-2000 Lauren Hill is an all-time great lyricist, man or woman. Lupe is good in pure lyrical terms, but his flow is lacking just enough that I just can't put him up there.

I've begun to develop a sick addiction to Odd Future's Mellowhype.

Especially Hell ft Frank Ocean. &

. Yeah, I just dled 'Blackenedwhite' and it's one of the best albums I've ever heard. Why aren't they as hyped as some of Odd Future's other members yet? Maybe that's just my perception, but this album is amazing.

Anyway along with Tyler's Yonkers, and Earl's Drop, this officialy puts me on board the OFWGKTA bandwagon.

Swag!

Archived