What's Your Country?

A member's post in another thread started me thinking about this--ASOIF has fans worldwide, so I imagine its going to be quite maddening to be a great fan of the books, but know that the television series won't air in your country. I'm curious which countries will be carrying the series, how long after the U.S. release it will show up in your country (if at all) and what you'll do to try to view it if its not airing in your county.

I know here at westeros.org, we have members from all over the world--Brazil, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Israel, Russia, etc etc. I'd be interesting to hear from you guys about this!

:cheers:

A member's post in another thread started me thinking about this--ASOIF has fans worldwide, so I imagine its going to be quite maddening to be a great fan of the books, but know that the television series won't air in your country. I'm curious which countries will be carrying the series, how long after the U.S. release it will show up in your country (if at all) and what you'll do to try to view it if its not airing in your county.

I know here at westeros.org, we have members from all over the world--Brazil, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Israel, Russia, etc etc. I'd be interesting to hear from you guys about this!

:cheers:

Here in the Netherlands we can watch the territorial BBC 1 and 2 channels on cable, so that means if the BBC will use one of those channels to broadcast Game of Thrones, we'll be able to see it alongside the Brits. I think Ireland is in the same boat. I think it's also possible to see them via satellite, but that's outside my purview.

The fact that we can see the supposedly UK-only channels is a relic of a time when we could receive the British broadcast TV towers. Over time it grew out to be an exception we won't be giving up anytime soon.

No HBO channel to be found, which is a pity. Personally I'll be be downloading them, unless BBC will be broadcasting them within a day orso of the HBO broadcast dates, which I doubt.

Anytime from half- to two years later a domestic channel will pick up the series, subtitled ofcourse (thank the Seven we don't do dubs).

^No, it's free to get but you have to get an aerial or something to pick it up. We never did, we've just got out 4 basic Irish channels, but things like BBC, Channel 4, etc. are free too, but.....not everyone has them.

I live in the U.S. so I'll be getting HBO specifically for this show... You hear that HBO, for THIS show I will pay the big bucks! Not Treme, not Scorsese's Boardwalk Empire (although I will grudgingly enjoy it), not the Pacific, nothing but AGoT will get me to pay you... I actually have nothing against HBO, I'm just very frugal. :P

^No, it's free to get but you have to get an aerial or something to pick it up. We never did, we've just got out 4 basic Irish channels, but things like BBC, Channel 4, etc. are free too, but.....not everyone has them.

Interesting..

Currently, I subscribe to my satellite company's (DISH network) Showtime 'package.' I switched from the HBO pkg a few years ago so I could watch the Tudors. But now I'm already worrying because GoT will be on HBO and it just grates on me to have to pay for both packages. (I like to worry about stuff years in advance--its so useless!) Both the Showtime pkg and the HBO package each have 6 or 7 different movie channels and they run 24/7. SO, if the average movie is 2 hours long, just ONE channel will show 12 movies every 24 hours. Seven Showtime channels = 84 movies a day. Add seven HBO channels to that, and you're getting (and paying for) 168 movies a day! Talk about overkill!

*worry, worry, worry* :lol:

I'm pretty confident that the series will air on Finnish TV. If the commercial channels don't pick it up, the national broadcasting company is almoest certain to get a good deal from BBC. Actually all of the European national b'casting companies are quite tight with each other.

Interesting that some of you guys will see it for free via BBC. Here in the U.S. HBO is a premium movie channel, gotta pay, pay, pay to watch it.

It's not free for the Brits, they pay for it with their TV license. But I guess it's way less than a premium movie channel would cost. Over here the BBC is part of the default package, but that one's also no where near as expensive as HBO.

I would still prefer HBO actually setting up shop in more European countries. I guess they are fine with getting their revenue from selling series to local European broadcasters.

Archived