Who poisoned Joffrey?

Octavian West

Everybody keeps sayin that Marge couldn't have poisoned the wine because everyone was watching the couple. But how hard could it be to slip a tiny crystal into a cup you're drinking out of without getting noticed? And secondly Marge has to be the one who put it in there because it would be too risky for someone else to do it and Marge doesn't notice and drinks and ends up poisoned herself, the Tyrells would not take that chance.

Everybody keeps sayin that Marge couldn't have poisoned the wine because everyone was watching the couple. But how hard could it be to slip a tiny crystal into a cup you're drinking out of without getting noticed? And secondly Marge has to be the one who put it in there because it would be too risky for someone else to do it and Marge doesn't notice and drinks and ends up poisoned herself, the Tyrells would not take that chance.

Because she never touched the cup since Tyrion refilled it for Joffrey. He drank and put it on the table, then they went to cut the pie.

I have a question: why did the stranger-amethyst have to be snuck in on Sansa's hair net?

That's been discussed. It didn't. It's almost certainly just a literary device (and possibly setup, if the hairnet's remaining gems have future uses).

The only person who could have removed the gemstone is Olenna, so unless Olenna was actually in on Littlefinger's plot to take Sansa away, which doesn't make any sense, there'd be no reason for her to remove the stone purely for the sake of convincing Sansa that she'd done it (and before anybody says the point was to frame her, once again, Sansa had the hairnet well before the Tyrell marriage plot fell through, so she was carrying the poison well before she had become useless to Tyrell political interests).

Just because Tyrion doesn't remark on it doesn't mean it didn't happen. How else could they be sure Marge wouldn't accidentally be poisoned herself?

Signal Margaery in some way that would be obvious to her but unremarkable to observers. Not really that hard, I don't think.

Just because Tyrion doesn't remark on it doesn't mean it didn't happen. How else could they be sure Marge wouldn't accidentally be poisoned herself?

It was out of his sight while he was being helped to his feet by a number of people. That was at the same time that Joffrey and Margery were moving away.

I have a question: the couple that he gets distracted watching at the beginning of the banquet--the wife is pregnant and they're very much in love--do we know who they are?

Signal Margaery in some way that would be obvious to her but unremarkable to observers. Not really that hard, I don't think.

For example, by mentioning Rains of Castamere which were bound to be played many times during the evening. What a better signal for starting a murder at the wedding, right?

Dont you think thats unnecessarily risky?

More risky than killing the king?

Olenna mentioned simply mentioned a song; for someone of her wit, not a problem to do so in a natural-sounding context. The person in possession of the poison (Garlan or Leonette) know that now is the time and so does Margaery. All that Margaery has to do is make sure that Joffrey drinks first and the strangler will do the rest in a matter of seconds.

of course it's risky no matter what but in a loud wedding Marge could miss the signal whereas if she controlled when to poison the wine there's no way she accidentally drinks the poison. I think the Tyrells are one of the few families that actually care about one another and they wouldn't want to risk that

of course it's risky no matter what but in a loud wedding Marge could miss the signal whereas if she controlled when to poison the wine there's no way she accidentally drinks the poison. I think the Tyrells are one of the few families that actually care about one another and they wouldn't want to risk that

For the record, I actually do agree with you that the safest thing was for Margaery herself to do the deed. I actually think it fleshes out her character and gives her a little more political agency.

Olenna is standing right next to her when saying it. She certainly wouldn't be saying it out of Marge's earshot.

For the record, I actually do agree with you that the safest thing was for Margaery herself to do the deed. I actually think it fleshes out her character and gives her a little more political agency.

I agree on fleshing out the character part, but given the description of the action, I don't think she had a chance to slip something in the chalice. It would also be the most riskiest part ever - if someone glimpsed her, she would be doomed, and her family with her. As a bride, everyone's eyes would be on her most of the time; she's about the least convenient person for the job.

I agree on fleshing out the character part, but given the description of the action, I don't think she had a chance to slip something in the chalice. It would also be the most riskiest part ever - if someone glimpsed her, she would be doomed, and her family with her. As a bride, everyone's eyes would be on her most of the time; she's about the least convenient person for the job.

And I think that's the risk they'd be willing to take to keep her from being poisoned. People may be watching her, but she's also the last person anyone would expect to try anything. Memory is a very fallible, malleable thing.

And I think that's the risk they'd be willing to take to keep her from being poisoned. People may be watching her, but she's also the last person anyone would expect to try anything. Memory is a very fallible, malleable thing.

If Margaery did the deed, she must possess diabolical cunning and courage, to go through an entire wedding, poison her husband, and then fake grief. All without giving nothing away.

It would be a waste of a good villain, if she were executed in TWOW.

If Margaery did the deed, she must possess diabolical cunning and courage, to go through an entire wedding, poison her husband, and then fake grief. All without giving nothing away.

It would be a waste of a good villain, if she were executed in TWOW.

That's what I mean when I say it fleshes out her character more. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the novels made this pretty clear. Olenna got the poison and Margeary dropped it. Littlefinger of course ensured it as well.

I was thinking it could have been Marg to drop it in because why else drink from the same cup beforehand if you knew it was not poisoned yet? How did Olenna get it to Marg to put in though? Olenna got it from the Sansa's hairnet, but from there the transition is a little obscure. There bring out the pie and Tyrion goes to eat it and drink it and Garlan stops him and I have always been curious as to why he did this. He was not in on the plan Olenna had set with LF, but still it raises eyebrows.

Archived