Timeline for the project.

cybroleach

Yes! :D

No but seriously: The only thing i'm really impatient about is the greenlight. When that (hopefully) is secured, i'll be patience itself.

:agree:

Although to be honest I'd like it to be good and fast. :devil:

Tom McCarthy is directing his next feature, Win Win, in February. If HBO want him back to kick off filming of the regular series (as they did with Michael Apted for Rome), that might be another indication that shooting itself may not be until later in the spring or early summer.

There will be that second round of casting, costuming, plus more set building for King's Landing, Vaes Dothrak and The Twins. If we get the March pick-up, it will require t least a couple of more months before the show goes into production, so McCarthy could easily be ready to shoot his next project by then, depending on how long production lasts on that other film. Shooting could well be 6-8 weeks on that, the normal length for most feature film shoots. But after that he'll be involved in post to some degree. Some directors are more involved in editing than others. Depending on how he works that might not be a problem for him either.

The next question is, does he want to go back-to-back from one production to the next like that?

His new project is another indie, bankrolled by the backers of The Visitor who were very impressed with his handling of that project. That suggests to me it will not be a large-scale or unusually long film shoot.

• 1 month later...

New information from TV critic Matthew Roush via Twitter:

HBO programming chief tells me they'll see full pilot of Game of Thrones in 2 wks. Dailies look good; more scripts written. Fingers crossed.

Several critics and other commentators seemed adamant there will be no word before March.

I'm wondering now if HBO are planning some sort of event for the announcement (assuming it's picked up), say unveiling the logo, announcing the official website, maybe having some castmembers on hand etc? It would explain them needing to lock into a date beforehand and not budge from it.

Interview at The Hollywood Reporter with HBO's director of programming.

Basically, he goes on great length about how awesome the pilot looks, that he'll be shocked if they don't pick it up and they are currently aiming for March/April 2011 transmission date.

Boo, and indeed, yaar :D

He also confirms that the wolves will be partly real and partly CGI, that a lot of exterior filming was used and the budget was somewhere between $5 million and $10m (the latter would make it the biggest ongoing series pilot HBO have filmed since Rome's first episode, possibly bigger). Totally sweet.

• 1 month later...

There has been some suggested breackdowns. My suggestion for the cliffhangers are:

E2: Arya throws Joffrey's sword to the river + Attempt on Bran's life

E3: Lady is killed.

E4: Catelyn kidnaps Tyrion.

E5: Jaime kills Eddard's men.

E6: Tyrion wins his trial by combat

E7: Eddard talks with Cersei at the godswood

E8: Robert dies + Littlefinger betrays Eddard

E9: Viserys is "crowned" + Eddard agrees to "confess"

E10: The Whispering Woods + Beaheading of Eddard

E11: MMD betrays Dany + Robb rises the siege of Riverrun

E12: King in the North + Music of dragons

E2: Arya and Jeoffrey- Jon's arrival to the wall -Attempt on Bran's life-Catelyn's decision to go to King's landing- Lady is killed and Micah's fate.

E3: Catelyn's trip- Benjen goes missing-Arrival to King's landing-Catelyn meets Littlefinger then Eddard.

E4: Catelyn kidnaps Tyrion-Sam in the wall-The hand's tournament-Viserys is crowned

E5: Jaime kills Eddard's men -Cat in the Vale-Dany assassination attempt-Tyrion asks for trial by combat and win it.

E6: Dany in Vaes Dothrak -Tyrion meets stone crows- Tywin and Rob armies-Tyrion meets Tywin-Wight in the commanders room.

E7: Eddard talks with Cersei at the godswood- Cat meets Rob and then Walder - Robert is injured-Battle of the Green fork- Renly flees and Robert dies

E8: Littlefinger betrays Eddard-Drogo is injured-Eddard agrees to "confess"-The Whispering Woods.

E9: MMD agrees to heal Drog and drogo gets worse-MMD betrays Dany- Beheading of Eddard.

E10:Jon tries to leave the wall-Robb lefts the siege of Riverrun and then becomes king of the North-birth of the dragons-Red Commit.

Archived