Timeline for the project.

cybroleach

I've just been wonder now that we've seen all the casting take place and the locals picked, there's pics of the sets being made. If I'm not mistaken they're supposed to start filming on the 24th this month in four days. Does anyone know how long roughly this type of pilot would take to film? Then edit? Then be available to see? And if everything goes well when it would be availible on HBO?

I've just been wonder now that we've seen all the casting take place and the locals picked, there's pics of the sets being made. If I'm not mistaken they're supposed to start filming on the 24th this month in four days. Does anyone know how long roughly this type of pilot would take to film? Then edit? Then be available to see? And if everything goes well when it would be availible on HBO?

Filming a few weeks, editing the same. The pilot should be ready for viewing in December or January. I don't know if the pilot will be seen by the public at first, it's mainly for the HBO execs. My thinking is that when it gets the ok (and we know it will) the pilot will be the kick off to the series, they'll hold onto it as they film the rest of the season and release all in order. With the show greenlit they could start filming the series proper in the spring 2010....

I'm hoping the show will start in Autumn 2010.

As has been said before, the pilot will be shown as part of the series or not at all, at least officially. If it doesn't get picked up, it might get leaked online. If it does get picked up, the first episode might also leak online a few days or weeks before transmission. Both cases are highly unusual, especially for HBO, which apparently has much higher security than other networks. A leak a few days before transmission coming from a press screener is most likely.

Autumn 2010 sends fairly optimistic (but not impossible) to me. January 2011 sounds like the more likely date to me.

I think they are aiming for fall 2010 just based on their show schedules and how weak they are in that slot. Big Love will be back spring of 2010 so its safe to assume that theyd be back at the same time the next year. TrueBlood, entourage, and Hung will be on in summer, Leaving nothing but Curb your Enthusiasm for the fall. I think I saw where Bored to Deaths ratings were probably going to get it chopped. I think it could be better fr the show without a lead in. I think sometimes HBO has a habit of having too many shows on in the same night. I remember a few years ago Sopranos, Six Feet Under and entourage were all on in the same night and I personally didnt feel like sitting through almost 3 hours of tv in one sitting.

You're forgetting Boarwalk Empire, which is almost certainly a Fall 2010 premiere.

Treme is also on in the summer, I believe.

I dunno, it just seems to me that the turn-around to get GoT on-screen for September is way too tight, and I doubt HBO will premiere the show as late as November or December and run right over/through Christmas. January 2011 just sounds 'right' to me, factoring in the likely more-extensive-than-usual post-production requirements and the inevitable "Winter is coming," tagline.

Well, production times aside, it'd be pretty nifty if HBO timed the various seasons with the chronological progression... Seasons 1, 2, and 3 all premiere in summer and run through the fall, ending before winter. Seasons 4-7 premiere late fall and run through the winter. Season 8 (I'm assuming a seven book series and that ASoS takes up two seasons) premieres in the end of winter and runs through the spring.

Watching the Others rampage around would have a stronger impact if it were cold and snowy outside... if it happens in mid-summer, it's not quite the same. At this point, of course, I'm just happy for it to get greenlit and aired.

I think the most telling clue is GRRM saying there was no plan to do anything for the 2010 San Diego ComiCon. Every frickin' Sci Fi / Fantasy movie / show rolls out SOMEthing for that event. At the 2008 ComiCon (it's always a summer convention), HBO rolled out the True Blood promos - like high gear - huge banners tacked up and everything before its release.

If they're even CONSIDERING a fall release for Game of Thrones, they'd have shit planned for ComiCon. I think winter is inevitable - or even later in 2011.

Man, all they'd have to do is hint at a vague GoT promo and I'd be there.

I think realistically either late 2010 or sometime 2011 for the premiere. They have loads of roles to cast and that alone will take plenty of time. Not to mention getting all the shooting locations ready and building the differents sets.

I think realistically either late 2010 or sometime 2011 for the premiere. They have loads of roles to cast and that alone will take plenty of time. Not to mention getting all the shooting locations ready and building the differents sets.

Since most of the roles they need to cast in the future aren't children, I imagine it will go much faster. I bet they already have certain actors in mind for certain roles... So it might not go on as long as we think. As for locations- this wont take too long really. Set building will take awhile though, unless they use some sets from previous movies (like the Kingdom of Heaven set in Morocco)....

My understanding is that the former is closer to right -- March.

This fits with Modern VideoFilm doing their bit in February. For whatever reason, there's a very long post-production period for this shoot, although some have suggested that the episode may lay fallow until February and that the delay is just to get that particular production house to have an opening in its schedule.

My understanding is that the former is closer to right -- March.

This fits with Modern VideoFilm doing their bit in February. For whatever reason, there's a very long post-production period for this shoot, although some have suggested that the episode may lay fallow until February and that the delay is just to get that particular production house to have an opening in its schedule.

Just shoot me now, put me out of my misery... :leaving:

Still four months to go, long wait. I hope that the buzz for GoT is getting stronger and stronger. I was skimming the gawker.com comments yesterday and one of the posters said HBO is showing GoT next year. (The thread was about a TV show, IIRC.) I was pleasantly surprised and said a little 'yay' at the mention. :P

As was said earlier they'd probably try to show something at ComiCon next July to help amplify the hype. That doesn't require a fully filmed and edited first season. The Pilot will be fully complete by then. So they'll be able to pull scenes from that for a sneak peek. The pilot episode itself doesn't have a ton of movie trailer-type action that would appeal to a crowd of those who might not know the story. Especially since they're not going to show any of the R-rated bits ;) But if they decide to pick up the first season by March and get to filming it by April they should probably have a lot more good stuff to use by the time July rolls around.

Kicking off the series in late 2010 seems to make a lot of sense from a marketing standpoint. It lets them use the perfect advertising line of "Winter Is Coming" on all their promotional materials. But I can't imagine they'd wait all the way until 2011. Its hard to imagine they wouldn't have most of the episodes done by the end of 2010 if they start in April/May. And they can always finish up the last few if need be over the 2-3 months it takes to televise the first 2/3 once a week.

George has said he doubted they would do anything for SDCC. A show opening early 2011 would want to build buzz closer to that date. New York Comic-con seems like a likelier place to try that.

January-February 2011 is a fairly typical opening date for a number of HBO's series, past and present, so I really think it's pretty reasonable estimate for when it goes forward.

Its hard to imagine they wouldn't have most of the episodes done by the end of 2010 if they start in April/May.

They probably wouldn't start in April/May. If a decision is made in March then they have to cast lots of new people. Find some new locations. Do the usual pre-production. That will all take a few months.

Without knowing much about the film process, i'd imagine starting to film in July is very good going.

TV critic and commentator James Hibberd has gotten confirmation from people "in the know" of what he and other critics have speculated:

HBO is all but certain to greenlight Game of Thrones, short of the producers "royally blowing the pilot".

Archived