Timeline for the project.

cybroleach

Ran's news over on the sidebar seems to kill the already-remote chances of the series airing in 2010 stone dead.

If it's a 30-week shoot and they start on 1 March (which we know they won't due to actor availability), that will take the filming through to mid-September. If it's a June start, which may be much more realistic, they probably wouldn't wrap until almost Christmas 2010. They can't start showing the series before it's filmed because in the time it takes to film one episode they'll have shown three, and HBO never do that anyway. They always wait until the whole season is in the bag before showing anything.

In fact, my prior favoured date of January 2011 may even be a little optimistic now.

That report was a little misleading too, as to me it read as if the guy with the inside info doubted it would be a 30 week shoot regardless of whether it was one or 2 seasons. Surely a 30 week shoot for one season is just as "mad" as 30 weeks for 2 seasons?

In terms of production 30 weeks for 12-13 episodes suggests that the quality will remain high though.

Hopefully we'll at least get ADWD to read in 2010. I still think it could be clever marketing to have the two things come out within a month or so of each other.

Hopefully we'll at least get ADWD to read in 2010. I still think it could be clever marketing to have the two things come out within a month or so of each other.

I agree. The cover could bear the phrase "Soon to be an HBO series" or "As seen on HBO" and it could lure casual reader to pick up the books or watch the series. The book cold be free publicity for the series and vice versa.

As for the 30 week shoot, if they start up around June 1 2010 then we are already into January 2011 by the time it wraps. I bet they hold it until the fall to let the buzz build from Comic Con etc, and then start up the "Winter is Coming" promos during the summer True Blood episodes.

I've never heard of a TV series taking 30 weeks to shoot...

30 days to 3 months, yes.

30 weeks?

No, never happens.

Unless they're filming 2 seasons back to back. Even that's too long...

BTW, 30 weeks for one season is over 7 months- who's info is the 30 weeks thing? Nuts.

If the filming is 30 weeks does anyone understand how long the editing would be? Much longer than filming. I think this info is bogus. Whoever gave this information clearly doesn't understand the filming process.

Deadwood took an average of 15 days of filming per episode. That's twice what your typical network hour-long drama needs. HBO gives it auteurs way more time to get it right. If one supposes one day a week off (I believe Sunday was a non-shooting day at least twice during production of the pilot), that means you're shooting 2 episodes for every 5 weeks. So now you're looking at 27.5 weeks for 11 episodes if 15 days of filming includes a day off each week.

While 30 weeks is what my source tells me, I'd caution that it's an approxmiate figure.

Yes, Rome took about 30 weeks as well for its 12-episode first season. John Adams took about the same for its seven episodes. Band of Brothers took ten months for its ten episodes. The Wire didn't take quite as long, but it was still a good six months or so per season.

I think we need to repeat this: HBO don't care what the networks do, or that ABC only takes 8 days to film each episode of Lost. HBO do things differently and, most notably, better ;)

This is probably a silly question, sorry, but how often would it show on TV? Its not going to show weekly if there are only 12 episodes...monthly? Bi-weekly?

I've never had HBO before (will get it for this!) so I haven't the foggiest.

This is probably a silly question, sorry, but how often would it show on TV? Its not going to show weekly if there are only 12 episodes...monthly? Bi-weekly?

I've never had HBO before (will get it for this!) so I haven't the foggiest.

It would be weekly, with some possible weeks (the most I've ever noticed in a season was two) where there isn't a new episode.

Also about the whole 30 week debate: Don't forget that a considerable number of the cast are children with the time restrictions that come along with them.

Archived