Fort Hood Shooting - 3 Soldiers involved

SwordoftheMorning

Shock...outrage...gun control...murder statistics...insults exchanged...US vs Europe...more insults..../thread.

eta:

oh yeah...Fort Hood is an army base, not a school, might want to update the thread title.

One. The initial reports stated the shooting was at the Ft Hood Army Base SCHOOL.

Two. I'm not outraged, and sadly, not even shocked. the greatest part of this tragedy is the blase non-reaction from those who have "seen it all before" I'm depressed that it happened, and up to 40 people who've done nothing to deserve it have been shot by sociopaths.

Three. I'm glad I don't live in your world were a tragedy like this is simply beneath ur level of discussion as ur callous and cavalier dismissal would indicate. If got better things to discuss, please feel free. Arbitrarily deciding the course of the conversation and telling the rest of us, or maybe just me that its not worth talking about it a bit presumptuious I'd say.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/soldiers-killed-f...tory?id=9007938

Twelve people have been killed and 31 wounded in a shooting spree at a Texas military base by what officials believe was possibly carried out by two and possibly three gunmen.

Gunman kills at least 7 and wounds 12 at Fort Hood.

One gunman was killed and two other suspects have been apprehended, Lt. Robert W. Cone said.

The dead gunman was a member of the Army, Cone said, and used two handguns. He wasn't sure if he reloaded the weapons during the attack.

Sources tell ABC News that the shooter was an officer, which means he's ranked higher than a sergeant.

The general called the attack "a terrible tragedy, stunning." He said the community was "absolutely devastated."

The extent of the injuries of victims "varies significantly," according to Cole.

A US Army Officer ? man, I hope thats not true.

MSNBC is reporting that all three shooters were Army, and that one of the men in custody is a major.

The casualties are rising, too - up to 12 dead and 31 injured.

Also, from ABC, what appears to be Lt Gen Cone's latest statment, confirming that the individuals involved were all soldiers. http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/20...e-shooting.html

I've heard that he recently changed his name to that.

The reports are confused. I've been reading that there were shootings in 2 different locations or something.

I'm not sure, it's strange and doesn't make any sense at this point.

Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan

Hmm... think that might raise a few eyebrows? Could be a very dedicated homegrown. Scary.

It seems rather unlikely that a terrorist dedicated enough to stay in the US Army long enough to rise to the rank of Major would simply go on a shooting spree unless those killed were all high ranking officers or something.

It seems rather unlikely that a terrorist dedicated enough to stay in the US Army long enough to rise to the rank of Major would simply go on a shooting spree unless those killed were all high ranking officers or something.

He doesn't have to have been a homegrown terrorist for long you know. He could have been recruited while he was already a major.

It seems rather unlikely that a terrorist dedicated enough to stay in the US Army long enough to rise to the rank of Major would simply go on a shooting spree unless those killed were generals or something.

You would think so. The name itself wouldnt mean much if it was just one nut snapping and going on a rampage, but if there are multiple shootings and multiple suspects it points to an orchestration of some kind. Eyebrow raising to say the least.

Not saying thats necessarily what it is, but that is where everyone's mind is going to go until we have all the details.

The latest report is that he was a mental health professional.

You would think so. The name itself wouldnt mean much if it was just one nut snapping and going on a rampage, but if there are multiple shootings and multiple suspects it points to an orchestration of some kind. Eyebrow raising to say the least.

Agreed. I could be totally wrong and I could be basing this on nothing, but I think he was a plant and it was planned. On the other hand, why just Fort Hood? Why not other bases all at the same time?

From CNN:

The gunman was a soldier, and two other soldiers have been detained as suspects, Army Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said.

The slain gunman was identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, a law enforcement source told CNN. Licensed in Virginia, Hasan was a psychiatrist who previously worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center but more recently was practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, according to professional records.

Ten of the other dead also were soldiers, while the remaining one was a civilian police officer who was working as a contractor on the base, Cone said.

Two of the injured were in "very serious" condition, Fort Hood spokesman Christopher Hogue said.

More than one shooter may have been involved, Cone said.

CNN just said he is a Jordanian native.

They're still trying to make sense of all this, though.

Shock...outrage...gun control...murder statistics...insults exchanged...US vs Europe...more insults..../thread.

eta:

oh yeah...Fort Hood is an army base, not a school, might want to update the thread title.

Tormund, apparently there's a school either on the base or adjacent to it.

The latest report is that he was a mental health professional.

Agreed. I could be totally wrong and I could be basing this on nothing, but I think he was a plant and it was planned. On the other hand, why just Fort Hood? Why not other bases all at the same time?

From CNN:

CNN just said he is a Jordanian native.

They're still trying to make sense of all this, though.

/groan

I don't see this going well for the American Muslim community or, really, "brown people" in genearal.

Shryke, let me double check that. I might have heard wrong. I don't think so, though.

I don't see this going well for the American Muslim community or, really, "brown people" in genearal.

Yeah, I agree. Especially those in the military.

ETA: According to several sites, Kay Bailey Hutchinson said she was told he was from Jordan. It's still unconfirmed.

ETA 2: FOX just said the same thing.

ok. I stress this is an unconfirmed rumor, from a friend who claims to have family at Ft. Hood, but they are saying their people on the base are reporting that Major Nidal Malik Hasan is NOT the shooter. He has been murdered, and his uniform stolen. Now if true, that points to a pretty serious level coordinated attack and elevates this to a terrorist act. But I wanna stress this is a RUMOR I heard.

Archived