Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution

Machine Head - The Blackening

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Megadeth - The System has Failed

Ministry - Rio Grande Blood

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Probot - Probot

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

Anyone else here watch the documentary Get Thrashed?

Watched it yesterday, was entertaining, but it just seemed that it turned everything into a tr0o thrash fans fantasy with little regard to what really happened especially pertaining to things outside thrash.

For instance they can put down limp bizkit and Korn in one sentence and praise Slipknot, and metalcore as the saviors of metal the next.

Another Comment that i found funny what some was like "I feel the same way as all tr0o metal heads!" cracks me up every time.

Anyone else here watch the documentary Get Thrashed?

Watched it yesterday, was entertaining, but it just seemed that it turned everything into a tr0o thrash fans fantasy with little regard to what really happened especially pertaining to things outside thrash.

For instance they can put down limp bizkit and Korn in one sentence and praise Slipknot, and metalcore as the saviors of metal the next.

Another Comment that i found funny what some was like "I feel the same way as all tr0o metal heads!" cracks me up every time.

i have not seen this documentary. but, i am a fan of thrash metal as well as many other genres of metal. i will have to check it out.

have you (or anyone else for that matter) seen the documentaries 'headbangers journey' or the sequel 'global metal?' for my money i see those as being pretty fair and pretty good in showing metal in its entirety as best as one can in a couple hours. my girlfriend who is not a metalhead at all watched the first one with me one evening and i think that coupled with seeing deicide live with me has given her a greater understanding (as well as a little worry) about her boyfriend and the music he loves.

any other good metal documentaries that you all would suggest watching? this one looks promising: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/untilthelighttakesus/

headbanger journey and global metal, along with their newest one Iron Maiden: Flight 666 are the best 3 documentaries about metal ever made imo.

Also if you haven't watched all the bonus footage for journey check it out on youtube parts 10+. there is over an hour of it, including a mini 30 min doc about black metal.

Another good one is the one done by the band Mayhem called Pure Fucking Mayhem. I think they made it to set the record straight about their history, and is really good.

There was the one Heavy: The Story of Metal by vh1, but its pretty terrible and should be watched only for laughs at how bad it is.

All i can think of for now, will edit if i can remember.

any other good metal documentaries that you all would suggest watching? this one looks promising: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/untilthelighttakesus/

If you're into (Norwegian) black metal it is well worth seeing.

True Norwegian Black Metal (2007) and Det Svarte Alvor (1994) are two short documentaries quite often recommended. Both are available on YouTube, Google Video etc.

any other good metal documentaries that you all would suggest watching? this one looks promising: http://www.apple.com...helighttakesus/

That Documentary was awesome, even if you don't like Black Metal, the story behind ti is really interesting and I would highly rec commend it, even if it's just so more people can realize how awesome Fenris is.

The sound of one hand fapping: That pretty much sums up my feelings on Exivious.

Exivious = Two guys from Cynic, one from Textures, and some other guy, play instrumental jazz metal. Yes, the level of musicianship is high. But this has got to be the most boring, sterile, passion-free recording I've heard in months. If you have any interest in jazz or progressive metal, you might want to give this a spin to see if it works for you. The album has 100% on MA so far, and I found it through someone's Best Of 2009 list, so clearly this appeals to some people. Just not to me.

I wonder if they could recruit Larry LaLonde?

Obscura = Two former members of Necrophagist, current bassist for Pestilence, and some other guy, play technical death metal that would make Les Claypool proud. That's right -- the mighty fretless bass pretty much stomps all over everything else in this album. Aside from the bass awesomeness, though, this is fairly derivative and forgettable TDM. Instead of making me want to listen to it, this album just makes me want to listen to Primus.

Just filled my mp3 today, something therapeutic bout going through and trying to guess what i might feel like listening to tomorrow.

Also i love it when people ask me what i listening to. I always say something stupid like lots of different stuff, i mean i have 4 different kinds of power metal alone!!

Ok, so the Eurovision qualifier is on tonight, and Keep of Kalessin are entering with

. Will update with the result later, though the prognosis isn't too good. Not sure what I think of the song itself, it is quite tame, but I smile when I think of all the families and grandmothers out there who are going to be exposed to it.

After much thought and a complete absence of music during the Christmas holiday (which helps clear the mind), I've finally settled on my favorite album of 2009. It wasn't much of a surprise, because I pretty much fell in love with it the first time I heard it, but even so it's an album that really grows on one and requires some time to digest.

Cobalt -- Gin

Two guys from Colorado; one lyricist/vocalist, the other plays most (if not all) of the instruments. They have a very distinct sound (and, as some have noted, they somehow sound "American" in a way that is pretty undefinable). Both my colleague and I were reminded of Agalloch, not because Cobalt sound like Agalloch, but because, like Agalloch, they play their own distinct brand of black metal. The music is epic and searing, but shot through with acoustic interludes and quiet pauses. The drumming is a happy departure from the standard black metal onslaught, being both complex and organic while remaining precise and powerful. The vocals (so long as you can stand harsh vocals) are fantastic. This album has been on just about every Best Of list I've seen this year (I can think of only three or four I haven't seen it on), and deservedly so. I can't say if any given person is going to like this release, but I know many people (especially those who like black metal but don't get hung up on tr00 conventions) who do. I can't stop listening to it.

Suggested tracks: Arsonry (direct link to download mp3 from Profound Lore), Two-thumbed Fist, Pregnant Insect, Gin

I also heard a lot of music this year that wasn't to my taste, but some of it was still really good and I'm not going to ding a band just because they don't happen to deliver the type of metal I like. Of those albums, my favorite was probably Children -- Hard Times Hangin' at the End of the World. Imagine a more psychedlic Black Sabbath and that is pretty close to what you'll get on their debut album. They're good musicians and they deliver a rockin' good time. In the end, you can't really ask for much more. :)

\m/

May they lay waste to the competition.

The competition are laid to waste. Wow. Directly on to the final, as one of the two most voted acts. Number three and four are through to a lucky loser thingie, and it was more or less the only realistic place for them. The power of the dragontower proved to be strong indeed.

The competition are laid to waste. Wow. Directly on to the final, as one of the two most voted acts. Number three and four are through to a lucky loser thingie, and it was more or less the only realistic place for them. The power of the dragontower proved to be strong indeed.

Really? REALLY?! That news has just made my day! :D

Really? REALLY?! That news has just made my day! :D

It may have not have been clear, they are qualified for the Norwegian final through this first of three heats, still have to win that final one to perform for the whole of Europe. With the buzz this is going to start, though, and the whole Norwegian thing for voting on the stupid and out-of-the-norm acts, I think their shot is decent now.

But yeah, this is really fun, and quite an appropriate follow up act to Fairytale on our home turf, I must say.

My favorite of 2009 is easy. Brown Jenkins, Death Obsession. Way more people need to be talking about these guys. Atmospheric, doomy, crushing, what's not to like? They were always good (barring the first demo), but Death Obsession takes everything they've ever done and revolutionizes it. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRsRjfQ_NrI

Second and third would be Ahab and Nile, which, save for the oddity, should give a pretty clear idea of my tastes. That being said, I know I'm forgetting something from this year...

After much thought and a complete absence of music during the Christmas holiday (which helps clear the mind), I've finally settled on my favorite album of 2009. It wasn't much of a surprise, because I pretty much fell in love with it the first time I heard it, but even so it's an album that really grows on one and requires some time to digest.

Cobalt -- Gin

Two guys from Colorado; one lyricist/vocalist, the other plays most (if not all) of the instruments. They have a very distinct sound (and, as some have noted, they somehow sound "American" in a way that is pretty undefinable). Both my colleague and I were reminded of Agalloch, not because Cobalt sound like Agalloch, but because, like Agalloch, they play their own distinct brand of black metal. The music is epic and searing, but shot through with acoustic interludes and quiet pauses. The drumming is a happy departure from the standard black metal onslaught, being both complex and organic while remaining precise and powerful. The vocals (so long as you can stand harsh vocals) are fantastic. This album has been on just about every Best Of list I've seen this year (I can think of only three or four I haven't seen it on), and deservedly so. I can't say if any given person is going to like this release, but I know many people (especially those who like black metal but don't get hung up on tr00 conventions) who do. I can't stop listening to it.

Suggested tracks: Arsonry (direct link to download mp3 from Profound Lore), Two-thumbed Fist, Pregnant Insect, Gin

I also heard a lot of music this year that wasn't to my taste, but some of it was still really good and I'm not going to ding a band just because they don't happen to deliver the type of metal I like. Of those albums, my favorite was probably Children -- Hard Times Hangin' at the End of the World. Imagine a more psychedlic Black Sabbath and that is pretty close to what you'll get on their debut album. They're good musicians and they deliver a rockin' good time. In the end, you can't really ask for much more. :)

I've been listening to this album recently. Not sure if it is my number one of 2009, but I really have enjoyed it thus far. Thanks for the rec.

I haven't listened to anything new recently, aside from the grindcore kick I got on during the holidays. Moving and starting a new job that entails long hours really cuts into my music exploration.

Archived