Hands up who dislikes Harry Potter...

Isis

I can't be alone in this one, surely. Has anyone else read some/all of the books and wondered what the fuss is all about?

The first four seemed to me to be mildly interesting children's books. It was always a jolt on starting a new volume and get hit with the limited vocabulary and limited range of characters. But I've really enjoyed the last two books; the characters are not all simply good guys or bad guys and there's lots more at stake then Harry being sent to his room without supper.

I like Harry Potter. Its a nice, clean easy read, and JR does have a talent for increasing the maturity level with the age of her characters.

Sure the overall plot is a little doggy at times but it’s a success due to its imaginative setting and characters.

The last movie was good... Any movie based upon a book such as Harry Potter is going to be a lessor version..

I agree pretty much with what Bob said, though I do think PoA and GoF show signs of becoming better novels. Mrs. Rowling is learning her craft on-the-job, and making bazillions doing so, but she is in the process of becoming a decent writer.

The first one carried me with the novelty of her world, the second nearly lost me, but the third picked up just enough to keep me going.

But the bulk of 'the fuss' I have seen comes from people aged 8 to 12. And I am happy to see kids that age reading just about anything.

I was a hater, but then I lost a bet and had to read the first 2 books. They were quick reads and were not as bad as I thought they would be. I passed the test my friend gave me with flying colors and went on to read the third book. I plan on reading the entire series eventually. I just needed to get over the whole "kids book" mentality. There is much worse writing there. I think if kids can start by reading this than power to them. My only complaint is that a few of the characters are one dimensional, but I will keep reading.

Guest OsRavan

there is no proof she is a sellout. its only an opinion.

and on a side note i wil ladd those movies SUCK i coudlk have done a better job. which is sad

At one point I had absolutely no urge to read these books or see the movies. Then I did give them a chance for the sake of my then girlfriend, now my ex.

Afterwards I was able to give specific reasons why I felt it to be second rate. (Although to be fair I will admit they have improved quite a bit from the first two books, although Rowling's world still has holes big enough to drive a truck through and some things, like the book four twist, are entirely unbelievable).

I'll finish reading the series because now that I've gone this far, (through the first five), I might as well, and I complete things I start. The movies are far more doubtful.

I happen to love the series. I think it lives up to its hype, both in movies and books.

I don't get why an adult loving the series is such a bad thing. Maybe the style in some fantasy series is a bit more mature in content than the Harry Potter series, but that doesn't make them better books or series. Honestly, I think people who think that way are being a bit elitist.

I happen to love the series. I think it lives up to its hype, both in movies and books.

I don't get why an adult loving the series is such a bad thing. Maybe the style in some fantasy series is a bit more mature in content than the Harry Potter series, but that doesn't make them better books or series. Honestly, I think people who think that way are being a bit elitist.

Crow, go find a 'I like HP thread!' :P

Uhh, I don't think anyone here has said adults disliking HP is a bad thing. We're all far too afraid of the wrath of Cerys/Lyanna to say such a thing. So enough with the elitist comments :)

No! Say what you mean, rusty! :lol:

BTW: those of you that just LOVE HP books and/or films can feel free to start your thread for that. :|

mm...six books, zero character development. gaping plot holes. voldemort as a villain? laughable. if Ron and Hermione arnt reconciled, married and have ten kids by the last book I'm chucking it out a window. weird, weird , pointless meandering story lines that end up nowhere. nothing happens. she obviously got in over her head with the series and is now just hastily trying to tie everything up and failing miserably. theres been all this buildup and nothing to show for it.

man if my fanatic HP friends read this they would KILL me. not that the HP fans here now won't.

Archived