Westeros Blog: BBC Video Report

BBC North Ireland has this report discussing HBO’s Game of Thrones, including an interview with local producer Mark Huffam (who reveals that Shane’s Castle was used in the pilot—a detail we never knew before, I believe).

One interesting detail? The Northern Ireland government provided a £1.6 million (roughly $2.4 million) incentive for the production, and promises more cash incentives for continuing production. As we have previously discussed, this would be in addition to the cut-rate price given for leasing the Paint Hall, and the tax credit that could equal as much as $6 million.

For those wondering about some of the footage shown in the video, the fantasy cottage/building featured at one point is from Your Highness, and is not something that would be used for the Game of Thrones pilot.

I looked at a bunch of pictures of Shane's Castle online, it's largely a ruin but for a large, stone greenhouse structure. This brings up a few possibilities:

1. Shane's will be used for Castle Black
  2. The greenhouse will be used for the Winterfell greenhouse
  3. It will be used for both

I see there's an early example there of a journalist questioning how 'racy and violent' the show will be at the end of the interview. I wonder if we'll get a lot more of that in the future, although in this case it might just because the politician being questioned about it is from a party who tend to be very conservative. Overall, I'd doubt that A Game of Thrones will really be any more 'racy and violent' than other HBO shows like True Blood, Rome, Deadwood, The Wire etc. but that might not stop lazy journalists bringing it up.

I think it has the potential to upset some people because there is this notion still that fantasy stories are for children. LotR was not really for children, but it never get sexual - violent as hell, but no sex. No doubt some people will tune in thinking it will be the next Harry Potter, or something, and be shocked beyond reason...serves 'em right, far as I'm concerned!

:smileysex::fencing:

I wonder if we'll get a lot more of that in the future, although in this case it might just because the politician being questioned about it is from a party who tend to be very conservative.

Yup. Made me laugh. :)

I wonder if we'll get a lot more of that in the future, although in this case it might just because the politician being questioned about it is from a party who tend to be very conservative.

It could be related to the fact that over 85% of those in Northern Ireland identify themselves as having a religion and most of the political parties employ religious ideologies, hence GoT could be against "family values" or something.

Archived