Hugo 2010 Results

Peadar

Roland,

Up, while having the best opening 10 minutes ever seen in Western animation, doesn't hold a candle in comparison to Wall-E. After the amazing opening sequence, it's just another Pixar adventure story, with everything that entails...

Agreed. My son, however, loves Up. To be clear it's not a bad film. It's simply that the end of the movie doesn't stand up to the first ten minutes. I think it would have been an amazing short that stops with Mr. Fredrickson's house flying away from the construction site. Heck, the dialog would have been unnecessary.

Actually to trump your lame pedanticness, a typo is when you spell a word incorrectly using a typewriter like device. if I spell your name Rolandt, it's still a spelling error. Just as much as adding another l to spelll would make it a spelling mistake.

But hey, I like Avatart. The two Na'vi, one cup was especially inspired.

My dear friend, you didn't need to go to that trouble :) You are trumping my lame pedantry by default, as the initiator of this exchange. Now, do you think we might drop this conversation, as I'm sure you'll agree that - my self-consciousness aside - as far as jokes go, that one really lacked both punch and timing, especially with you returning to it for a second time. Honestly, I am a little embarrassed for you :D

Anyway, Spirited Away might not be the greatest animation ever, but it's close.

Roland,

Agreed. My son, however, loves Up. To be clear it's not a bad film. It's simply that the end of the movie doesn't stand up to the first ten minutes. I think it would have been an amazing short that stops with Mr. Fredrickson's house flying away from the construction site. Heck, the dialog would have been unnecessary.

See, this is the problem. If you think this, you COMPLETELY missed the point of the movie.

I mean, the whole core theme of the movie is that his life wasn't sad and that him taking off in a house floated by balloons wasn't the solution to all his problems.

All the complaints that the movie wasn't as good after that first bit are based around these ideas that are, if you watch the movie, all proven false later.

I disagree. Not with what you are saying, but about the complaints. I don't like the rest so much just because it lacks the same power as the first 10 minutes. It's not about the message, which is beautiful. It's about the emotional impact.

I don't see how you can't find the later moment where he looks back at his photo album and it recasts the initial scenes incredibly powerful.

Shryke,

Consider if Mr. Fredrickson hadn't turned his house into an airship and floated to South America he would have ended up losing the house and spending his last years in a nursing home. So, regardless of his misimpression of his life his choice to fly to South America was essential for their to be the powerful scene you enjoy so much.

I still found the last two thirds of the movie pretty generic. Except for Dug. Dug is the embodiment of awesome. "I was hiding under your porch because I love you."

I don't see how you can't find the later moment where he looks back at his photo album and it recasts the initial scenes incredibly powerful.

Powerful, yes. Incredibly powerful? Maybe, I dunno. Still, it's the feeling that I got. It just wasn't the same after the first ten minutes. It's not really something we could argue about. Yes, it's a wonderful movie. I just think its beginning does it a disservice.

Archived