Unpopular Opinions

Theon Greyjoy is the most human, well developed and entertaining character in the series. He was also completely justified in everything he ever did.

Roose Bolton isn't a bad guy, even if Ramsay is. One can hardly fault the man for wanting to save his skin after Robb was such a tremendous jackass.

Jon and Arya are terrible, boring, two dimensional characters. I dread when their names come up. Dany isn't too far off, but her chapters are entertaining.

Tywin was probably the best man the realm has ever seen.

I am extremely sympathetic to Viserys and was extremely sad to see the true last dragon go down to a bunch of savages. That being said, Red Wedding and Eddard's death didn't bother me.

I don't much like Starks - they are extremely boring. I don't view them as the protagonists of the series, as no single family can claim that.

It angers me when people call Theon, Cersei, Tywin, (or anyone really) a villain.

Theon is my favorite male character, Cersei female.

Jorah is the only right match for Dany. Jorah is also a wonderful character.

The best part of AFFC was Iron Island/Dorne chapters. The worst part was Arya's, which were the poorest written and least relevant of any chapters in all of the books.

I probably have a lot more, but that's probably enough.

There seems to be a little conflict here I don't think there are any more amoral and power hungry characters than Cersei and Melisandre

Its a matter of perspective I guess.

Cersei seems to me to want to protect her children and gain personal liberty for her own person. Now I agree that she is a bit, or perhaaps more than a bit :P, clumsy with it. But I don't really see her as bad as Renly. And she is also a Lannisters so that will give her some extra marginal.

Melisandre: Well I would rather count her as a fanatic so not amorale and I don't really see how she's much worse than most other players around. She wants to accomplish something and therefor she has to play the game according to the rules. Now she has some other pieces but I don't really see her as worse than say Tywin, Stannis, Renly, Tyrion etc. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if the new High Sparrow wouldn't be about the same kind of person as Melisandre is.

But that's just my views on it. :)

My minority opinion is that Tyrion was to target for the poison at the wedding of Joffrey and Margary, and that Joffrey by accident, malice, and perhaps just a bit of Mellisandre's magic, got in the way of the plot and unwittingly saved Tyrion's life. Oh, and the poison was in the pie, not the wine. All the vague hints to the wine is just flim-flam by Martin to trick his readers.

But of course, very few readers will think they have been tricked, so my opinion is very much in the minority. Until that day Martin finally drops the truth like a sledgehammer. Probably towards the end in the final volume :read:

I don't think Jaime has changed a bit beyond the fact that he no longer likes Cersei and posts scouts now.

I agree with the part about Jamie 150%. Really, I think he's morally somewhat worse when he starts hating Cersei. When he is telling Illyn Payne about the Arya incident, it's as though he's blaming Cersei and his sexual manipulations for all his evil deeds. So, since Cersei slept with him before asking him to cut off Arya's hand he had no choice but to do it? Okay then, Jaime.

Also, the new and improved Jaime strikes me as sort of misogynistic, in the style of Tyrion. I'm probably alone in this, though, so I won't even bother getting into it.

My Unpopular opinions:

From the beginning, I don't think Sansa is any less likeable or sympathetic than Arya.

I liked Shae, and believe that she was far more intelligent than Tyrion or most readers (or GRRM) ever realized.

I don't blame Cersei at all for killing Lady

I think both Rhaegar and Lyanna sound totally obnoxious

I don't think Tyrion is funny or witty at all

I wish Danerys was more ambitious

I think Bariston Selmy is nice but highly boring

I loved Catelyn Tully, and thought she would have made an awesome King (queen?) of Westeros

I felt really sorry for Lysa Tully, and believe that she could have been somewhat likeable, if her life had been different

I like and feel sorry for Robert Arryn

I find Rob boring

I think Shae was morally better than (or at least equal to) the "awesome Bronn." (Though Shae does betray Tyrion, there is no evidence to sugest that she would kill baby for money. Apparently, hurting Tyrion's feelings is worse than infanticide.)

I believe that the only difference between Bronn and Shae is authorial sympathy. Shae's verve in switching from father to son in an effort to perserve herself and improve her situation could have been seen as "bad ass" and ingenious as any of the crap Bronn or Littlefinger pulled, if seen through the right eyes

I liked Cybil Spycer and the fact that she colaborated in all of the evil stuff that went down so she and her family would come out on top. And Jaime was full of crap calling her "an ambitious bitch." (Though I believe that for GRRM, in regards to a woman, the first of these things ALWAYS goes hand and hand with the second.)

And, here's the shocking one... I don't like Tyrion. At all.

I love Cersei, and think she was totally out of character in AFFC.

Really liking this topic, here goes:

1. The only thing I disliked about AFfC was its length; I wish it had been longer.

2. Cersei is one of the best three things going for the series; as soon as she dies the ongoing story will become less interesting.

3. Maggy the Frog and her prophecies was a clear misstep and probably the only development I truly despise.

4. The real villain of the series is Robert Baratheon; both for the events that occurred before AGoT and everything after.

5. I loved the Ironborn and Dorne chapters -- in fact, I wish we had more.

6. I have this premonition that Jon will kill Dany even though she will love him.

7. Theon Greyjoy is a great character.

8. Robb should have made peace with the Lannisters after capturing Jaime and forced a marriage between himself and either Cersei or Myrcella, as well as one between Tommen and Sansa.

9. In regard to Jaime, he simply lost a hand and is jealous because he clearly fancies his sister a whole lot more than she fancies him -- there has been no redemption of any kind, to any degree (at least not yet).

10. Stannis himself is quite boring, as is Davos; Melisandre is the superstar in that storyline.

11. Jon continuing to stay at the Wall in light of ongoing events is dishonorable.

12. Tyrion is lovable to a degree, and he is very entertaining, but he doesn't even rate as one of my five favorite characters.

13. Arya's arc is very hit-and-miss.

14. I always liked Catelyn -- even after she started to rot and got a new voice.

15. I find Daenerys annoying and misguided but am rather fond of her POV -- it's entertaining in so many different ways. I'm also pretty sure she's going to fall short of her ultimate goals as I noted above.

16. I think the story demands that Jaime comes to a grisly end, preferably with the point of Brienne's sword sticking out of his chest -- that said, Jaime is one of my favorite characters.

17. I'd love it if Jon turned into Tywin-lite, went on to make a series of seriously questionable moral decisions, and ended up saving the realm in the process. I also like the idea of him taking his place as king, growing increasingly bitter and insane, and marrying wholly out of practicality as opposed to love, probably to Arianne.

18. Theon and Asha should just have sex and get it over with; they work a lot better together than apart (although, neither realizes this point just yet). As opposed to Jaime and Cersei, their incestuous relationship would work.

19. Ned was a fool and guilty of as much injustice and bloodshed as Cersei.

20. I've never found any of the N + ? = J theories compelling.

21. Daenerys will definitely be riding Euron in the future but he'll die pretty soon after.

22. Jon probably should listen to Melisandre -- she figures to help him a whole lot more than Eddison Tollet.

23. I've been convinced by the Sarella Sand = Third Head of the Dragon Theory.

24. Littlefinger is actually more delusional than Ned and is really not that pragmatic considering the end game he faces.

25. I found Robert and Tywin's treatment of Cersei far more disturbing and upsetting than the Red Wedding.

My general Catelyn hate.

Oh, but that's not an unpopular opinion in the slightest. Just read these message boards. I'd say that Catelyn is possibly the most hated "good" character in the series. Seriously, people hate her to the point of sadism. Sansa, Dany, and Jon are also disliked and critisized by many; however, the hatred for them never seems to reach the sadistic levels it does for Catelyn. People don't just hate Catelyn and see her as a bad character as they do with the "Mary Sueish"** Jon; Catelyn haters want her to die and delight in her murder at the red wedding

Furthermore, for these other characters, there are usually strong reasons for the hatred; ones that are either having to do with the actions of the characters themselves or are relevant to the plot. (I.E., Jon is overly perfect and thus unbelievable as a human being; Dany achieves too much through her magical dragons, and some of her actions are highly morally ambiguous; Sansa betrays her father to Cersei and Joff, etc.) In contrast, for Catelyn it's usually just "she's a total bitch!" And people seem to want her to die/ be tortured far more than they do with say, Jon.

**I'm not making this claim about Jon, but a lot of others on this board have.

I dont think I have many unpopular opinions. I hate Cersei, Theon, the Boltons, Lysa, the Ironborn and Sansa. I love all the other Starks and Tyrion. I think R+L=J is true and want the series to end with Jon sitting on the throne.

I guess the only opinion of mine that could be unpopular would be that I can't stand Dany, but I know I am far from alone in that.

I like this tread! Some of my unpopular opinions (that I can remember now):

I adore Littlefiger. I like every part of story he is in and think it would be far more boring without him.

I cannot blame Robb for marrying Jeyne and Cat for releasing Jaime. They did the right thing.

I do not like Bronn and Sandor and I feel nothing towards Blackfish and Oberyn. I do not see why these characters are so popular.

I like Sansa. Well, as seen from this topic, that is not a very unpopular opinion.

Dayos's chapters are boring, Asha's chapter was cool (wish to read more of her).

Syrio Forel is dead.

The Starks will regain the North. Ok, I admit, that one is more like wishful thinking.

Oh, and I agree that Stannis would be far better king that any of his brothers, so now we see that this opinion is not really a very unpopular one :).

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I couldn't stand Renly. I thought he was a jackass in GoT when he made fun of his brother by calling his daughter (his own niece!) ugly. All right, maybe she is, but Shireen can't help it, and he's her uncle. He was nothing but a spoiled pompous jackass, and I think the realm would have been just as bad under him as it was with Robert.

I'm rooting for Stannis to win because I want Shireen to be queen of Westeros. That'd definitely be unexpected (though I don't believe it'll happen, but we'll see!).

I desperately want Lord Baelish to take the Iron Throne.

I am Sam's greatest admirer, I hope that we see many-many more POV chapters of him.

I think Stannis is a really cool guy.

I couldn't stop laughing when Tywin got wacked taking a shit.

My biggest disappointment by far is that Tyrion didn't have the good sense to murder Joffrey, Cercei and take the throne for himself while he could.

I would love Lord Frey to be my grandfather.

on the first read through at least (I havent finished a reread yet) AFFC was my favorite book in the series. Its kinda weird though cus my top favorite POVs are Tyrion, Jon and Dany all of which are not in the book.

I hate the R+L=J theory. Sadly for me, it's probably true, no matter how much I don't want it.

There's nothing wrong with Darkstar as a character, I never got how or why he became a joke amongst the fans.

On these two things i completly agree

Sansa was one of those characters that i hated at first but now i look forward too.

i am with you on that one. At first Sansa was the PoV i hated the most followed up by Bran, i still think Bran is boring but i love Sasas PoVs now.

Archived