Lady Genna Frey (formally Lannister)

LadySansa

I loved her character and was very sad to see she only showed up for a short amount of time. I found her very interesting. I would love to see a scene with her and Cersei. The banter between her and Jaime was a joy to read for me. I hope we will be seeing her again.

Oh goodness! Her and Cersei, lol!

(sorry to have done a one-liner!) I can just imagine Genna being disgusted by Cersei's terrible planning and laying into her about in a pragmatic/scolding mother way that no one could've beat (not even Tywin!). The woman is smart, and used to towing around a significantly less-smart/useless Frey husband - she know how to cut through bs!

Interaction between Genna and Cersei would be wild. I love love love love Genna Lannister! I don't think we've seen the last of her. Maybe she'll go to King's Landing to help out with Tommen if his mother is out of commission for a while? A gal can hope!

I just hope we get to see more of her. I was thinking about the part where Cersei tells Taena (hopefully I'm remembering this right, too lazy to walk across the room to my books!) that she was afraid to go to Kings Landing (???) but her aunt Genna took her aside and said something like "You are a lion, it is for the lesser beasts to fear you". I just thought it would be interesting to see whether Cersei would respect her or not. She respected her father more than most others but did not seem to respect her uncle.

Who would win, Cersei or Genna? I vote Genna by sheer weight alone but at the same time Cersei has that psychotic power usually only found in crackheads.

Genna is definitely one of my favorite characters in the books. She does what she wants, gets what she wants, is forceful without being written as an over-the-top-evil-woman stereotype, tells Jaime things straight while also pinching his cheek like a Mom, and is both practical-minded and devious. I hope to hell we see more of her somehow!

Whenever I read the chat between Genna and Jaime, the line that every girl needs a big brother to look after her, makes me unsure of Jaime.

Cersei said terrible things to Jaime. He certainly thinks she may have betrayed him.

After Genna's down to earth, family-is-family chat, I don't see how Jaime cannot go to Cersei's aid.

Back on point. I would dearly love to read Genna give Cersei a piece of her mind. What a great chapter: Genna is allowed to visit Cersei in her cell. Cersei starts going on about how she was handling the situation better than Tywin, and then Genna lets her have it. Very good idea.

as clever as she thinks she is

And herein is the key to Genna's awesomeness, which stands out especially in a series full of just above-average people who waste the lives of hundreds of civilians by trying to prove that they're the smartest person in the room.

Genna also seems the type to know when she isn't the cleverest broad on the block, and that's particularly appealing to me. It's just as important to know when someone's likely to outsmart you as it is to know when you've got the best chance of doing the outsmarting.

I loved her! Her line to Jaime about Tyrion being Tywins son was/could be one of my top 3 favorite quotes from the series. Shes clever but like a couple people stated above, knows that shes not always going to be the cleverest.

Also, its nice to see a adult woman character who doesnt fuck everything up (cersei/catelyn)

Maybe she was the inspiration for "Gemma" in Sons of Anarchy?

Seriously though, she is Martin's best female character by far. I agree with everyone else in saying she is the one adult women in Westeros who can actually see her family for what they are. She may try to protect them, or she may try to be rid of them because they are screwing everyting up.

I think that Olenna, while a little full of herself, understand the limitations of certain(mace) family members. Genna is just a beautiful contrast because she's everything Cersei should have been. Regardless to what she wants to believe, Cersei was never a power behind Robert's throne, if she had been less bat shit crazy and more like Genna she might have more than a pawn in Tywin's game.

Genna isn't the only woman who can see their family for who they are and doesn't screw everything up - you're forgetting Olenna Redwyne. Love that old woman. The chapter where Sansa sups with the Tyrell ladies remains one of my favourite chapters (I practically laughed throughout).

It would be interesting if we get to see Olenna and Genna match wits somehow.

Genna isn't the only woman who can see their family for who they are and doesn't screw everything up - you're forgetting Olenna Redwyne. Love that old woman. The chapter where Sansa sups with the Tyrell ladies remains one of my favourite chapters (I practically laughed throughout).

It would be interesting if we get to see Olenna and Genna match wits somehow.

Damn your right. The queen of thrones rocks too. I would like too see a chapter with both of them but I think Genna would know she was overmatched.

Addendum to my previous post- while I do love Genna, I don't think she's the best female character in the series. She's up there, certainly among the bit players, but all told I still feel more for Catelyn and others than I do for Genna.

Genna is just a beautiful contrast because she's everything Cersei should have been

Good point. Of course, being a Lady Frey (even a prominent one) is not nearly as stressful, dangerous or demanding as being the Lannister-Baratheon Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, so it's possible that Genna wouldn't have been quite as cool as she is had she been in Cersei's position. Still, someone with Genna's strength of character might have been able to challenge Robert enough to bring out his better side, and then rule beside him. Cersei had reasons (some legitimate, others less so) for feeling and acting the way she did toward Robert, but ultimately I think her disgust and indifference were much more corrosive to his character (and therefore his strength as a king) than Genna's approach would have been.

I question whether Genna has much time left; if the Brotherhood Without Banners takes Riverrun -- as seems likely at the moment -- I can't imagine Catelyn will be terribly merciful with a Lannister.

I question whether Genna has much time left; if the Brotherhood Without Banners takes Riverrun -- as seems likely at the moment -- I can't imagine Catelyn will be terribly merciful with a Lannister.

:agree:

She is also a Frey now. If the BWB takes Riverrun, her chances of survival drop to almost zero.

I imagine she'd end up dead. Cersei will kill anyone, not to mention the aunt that slapped her silly in front of half the court.

Also, I imagine the BwB would mostly be looking at how she treats her servants, which is probably pretty well.

Edit, oh shit, I forgot who is in charge of the BwB now, so nevermind, she'd be toast as well.

Archived