How hot do you want Melisandre to be?

Andhaira

I guess my perspective is that oozes sex appeal - which is very different to just looks.

She needs to be attractive enough, but mostly it'd be through character.

An average-looking woman playing a hot, sultry tease has sex-appeal.

The sexiest woman alive playing an air-headed bimbo has none.

The difference of course, is in acting ability, I've yet to be sold on Eva Green's, for example; even if she is a reasonably big name.

Again, all IMO, of course - and I'd also point out that my suggestion of Sophia Myles is far from average looking.

Incidentally, for those calling for Eva Green - didn't she go on record as refusing to do anymore nude scenes a couple of years ago? That's a specific part of the casting call

I completely agree with this.

I also think Ruth Wilson is the best suggestion so far, and plausible. She is 29 and British, and not huge. Familiar to the right ppl, but not too big for GoT.

Yesss, after waiting eagerly for a renewal let's now start a petition to cancel Camelot so that Eva Green can be cast as Melisandre! That show is average anyway, this girl is destined for more.

And I couldnt disagree more with this. Not only do I find her very average looking, but she is a horribly wooden actress.

I completely agree with this.

I also think Ruth Wilson is the best suggestion so far, and plausible. She is 29 and British, and not huge. Familiar to the right ppl, but not too big for GoT.

And I couldnt disagree more with this. Not only do I find her very average looking, but she is a horribly wooden actress.

If Eva Green is average looking I would like to know what kind of beauty Ruth Wilson is to you.

If Eva Green is average looking I would like to know what kind of beauty Ruth Wilson is to you.

There is nothing I can really say since its personal preference. Although sometimes when I dont really think someone is hot I can still kinda see why they have appeal to other ppl. But I cant even say that about Eva Green. I honestly dont see how anyone could think she is hot. But obviously a lot of ppl do, so :dunno: .

I think Ruth Wilson's look is very unique and sexy. Her face is not perfect, but she is still, imo, smoldering and intense. But you are free to disagree.

I think Ruth Wilson's look is very unique and sexy. Her face is not perfect, but she is still, imo, smoldering and intense. But you are free to disagree.

There seems to be one problem for HBO though in picking her that she doesn't seem to want to do nudity if reports of comments she made are true though it might just be "gratuitous nudity" if other reports are true .

Anyway hopefully the exposure ( pardon the pun ) of being on an important HBO show would convince her or indeed any actress not known for doing nudity of going for the role .

There seems to be one problem for HBO though in picking her that she doesn't seem to want to do nudity if reports of comments she made are true though it might just be "gratuitous nudity" if other reports are true .

Anyway hopefully the exposure ( pardon the pun ) of being on an important HBO show would convince her or indeed any actress not known for doing nudity of going for the role .

Not that I would want her to give up on her scruples or whatever for a part, but I would love to see her in this. Dont know why Melisandre has to have nudity anyway. :thumbsdown: Just for viewership.

(I guess thumbsdown to nudity would seem an odd thing to do but I'm a woman so I dont care if she's naked or not, I just like her as an actress)

Strangely enough I don't find Eva Green or Ruth Wilson attractive. I'm surprised that Natalie Dormer got cast as Margarey, maybe HBO will surprise us again with its casting for Mel?

Well, at least I'm not the only one who doesnt like Eva Green. Although I knew that already cuz my husband doesnt like her either. Who do you like best for the part?

I'd always pictured Arianne Martell as the winner of the Miss Westeros pageant.

Trouble is... according to GRRM, just about every female character who isn't Brienne or Lyssa, is the hottest the POV has ever seen

Stannis is rumored to have been sleeping with Mel every night after the defeat at Kings Landing, or something like that.

Anyways, I think she needs to be excruciatingly attractive. I always pictured Christina Hendricks, but that's not gonna happen.

I'm still not sure if they were sexually involved thought..but that is entirely because as someone pointed out upthread because Stannis seems really asexual. Plus he sort of strikes me as having a Ned-like sense of honor and I'm not sure he'd risk a bastard (well at least one of substance since the shadow child that slips into Storm's End doesn't really count)given the hissy-fit he has over Robert soiling his bridal bed.

I'm joining you however firmly in the camp of thinking Christina Hendricks would be PERFECT for the role. I also realize I have a better chance being cast as Ygritte than we do of getting her in that role. So perhaps someone just Christing Hendrick-esque. I don't think they can pull another Catelyn here. In the books Catelyn was described as pretty - not as stunning as Sansa but still a bit of a looker - yet the woman they cast her with wasn't quite what I pictured (perhaps because she was older in the show than the books). But in the end I don't think it mattered too much to the story in terms of Catelyn. I do think it would matter in the case of Melisandre.

ETA: After reading some of the other suggestions I think Tricia Helfer would be a great choice. She has the height, sex appeal, and menace necessary for the role. And I do agree with the though above that there has to be a decent amount of menace in the character because pretty much everyone is afraid of her.

IMO, Melisandre shouldn't be hot in that obvious, physical way as Hendricks is. She should rather be "plain" sexy, yes, but also "exotic" sexy and "Basic Instinct Sharon Stone" sexy. I mean, I see her as a kind of mysterious woman that messes with one's brain, so even a man cold as Stannis could become obsessed about her.

So, think about some sexy, beautiful but exotic and very charismatic actress. Perhaps closer to Kelly Hu in "The Scorpion King" than to Christina Hendricks.

Not that I would want her to give up on her scruples or whatever for a part, but I would love to see her in this. Dont know why Melisandre has to have nudity anyway. :thumbsdown: Just for viewership.

(I guess thumbsdown to nudity would seem an odd thing to do but I'm a woman so I dont care if she's naked or not, I just like her as an actress)

Duh, the reason she needs to be nude, is because she needs to be fooling around with Ros, when telling Stannis about King's Blood. Otherwise everyone would immediately get bored and turn over, or so HBO seem to think.

For a medieval setting where life expectancy is short and children aren't expected to survive childbirth often, the amount of pretty women in Westeros is staggering. It seems there are more pretty women than ugly

Most of the female characters are noblewomen. Compared the the rest of the female population, chained to a life of drudgery, the young noblewomen probably are all lovely. Peasant women would wear drab clothes, no makeup, work outdoors all the time, and not always have enough food. The noblewomen have lovely clothes, had ladies maids to make them pretty, no need to do anything more strenuous than a little light riding, and plenty of good food.

Child survival rates among the nobility do seem a little too high. Even among wealthy people, most families could expect to lose a few children. Cat should be mourning the loss of one or two kids as infants. Picking a random noble mediaeval couple, Edward I and Eleanor of Castile had 14-16 children, 6 of whom lived to adulthood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_I_of_England

Of course, the Maesters seem to have genuine medical skill, as opposed to the ineffectual quacks of real mediaeval times, so that could make up the difference.

IMO, Melisandre shouldn't be hot in that obvious, physical way as Hendricks is. She should rather be "plain" sexy, yes, but also "exotic" sexy and "Basic Instinct Sharon Stone" sexy. I mean, I see her as a kind of mysterious woman that messes with one's brain, so even a man cold as Stannis could become obsessed about her.

I agree 100%. No Hendricks, please. "Exotic Sexy" (but also frightening) is how I would summarize my view of the character.

I would prefer them to cast someone that has a "foreign/exotic" look. (hard to define) She is from Asshai, not Westeros.

Archived