Stark Shields

I want one of those Stark shields from the HBO series. Anyone have any idea who is making the armor/weaponry for the show? :drool:

Who knows. Maybe HBO and the production will sell some of the props when the series ends. Such as the Stark shield. They may even make replicas.

I doubt it, I believe Valyrian Steel is the only company that is allowed to bring out any weapons, shields, helmets etc. based off aSoIaF.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Valyrian Steel had the license for weapons, shields etc based off the BOOKS. HBO have the rights to make merchandise based off the SERIES. Yes, I doubt that we're going to see high end replica weapons of the quality of VS released by HBO, but it does not stop HBO from selling replicas of props used in the series.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Valyrian Steel had the license for weapons, shields etc based off the BOOKS. HBO have the rights to make merchandise based off the SERIES. Yes, I doubt that we're going to see high end replica weapons of the quality of VS released by HBO, but it does not stop HBO from selling replicas of props used in the series.

No, I believe GRRM forbid that explicitly when he signed the contract him HBO, VS items will be the only official weapons based on the AsIaF universe.

I really can't be bothered to search for it but I believe somewhere between all the newsposts and comments on VS they say that they have the only license to all weapons both from the books that GRRM forbid the production of swords from the tv series in his HBO contract.

HBO can make anything they want. End of story.

Again no, GRRM had a clause that states he is the only one that can authorize officiel reproductions.

edit:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/159060.html?thread=10400852

Here, HBO can only produce plastic, all metal stuff is licensed to Valyrian Steel (and I'm all the happier for it).

[info]grrm wrote:

Jun. 28th, 2010 05:34 am (UTC)

Re: Finished Book-->Publishing Time + Valyrian Steel

Yes, I'm afraid it's the same deal with Valyrian Steel.

Their license predates my deal with HBO. The producers have hired an armorer to design the weapons in the show, and he wants to do his own designs.

Only Valyrian Steel has the right to produce full scale replica weapons in metal for the collector's market. HBO will have the right to produce inexpensive plastic replicas of their designs for sale in your local toy store.

Not clear from anything I've read whether HBO could produce full-scale metal replicas of shields (which aren't weapons). Not that I think they'd want to. Too small for them. Time-Warner is interested in deals with potential sales in the millions of dollars, not thousands.

edit:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/159060.html?thread=10400852

Here, HBO can only produce plastic, all metal stuff is licensed to Valyrian Steel (and I'm all the happier for it).

Ah! That's what I remember reading! Though I obviously read it, filed it away in my brain and completely mangled it into something it wasn't. Thanks for clearing it up.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want it... just make it yourself! That's how all the SCA armorers started... that's how every knife and swordmaker starts. Just do it! If you do a one-of for yourself nobody is going to care about licensing. Besides, you will spend more time and do a better job on it than anybody else would do. And you'll learn something about metalcraft in the bargain! Yes, you might end up spending as much on tools as you would have to buy the piece... but then you'll still have the tools and you'll have the taste of metal in your blood... there'll be no stopping you!

Archived