Stannis is a righteous man according to GRRM

Noroldis

• 1 year later...

Stannis' major issue is that he looks too closely at the letter of the law while overlooking its spirit. But I'd say he's getting better at that. I would not want the Clash of Kings Stannis as king — he suffers from the same problems as certain other contenders whom I loathe: thinking that it's owed to him unconditionally. He actually learns and grows and comes to accept that he has to save the realm to win the throne, not the other way around.

While the manner of Renly and Penrose's death is troublesome, I'm not actually opposed to Stannis killing them, although Penrose's demise was sad. But they could have still died in battle and taken hundreds or even thousands of men with them. Other people are considered brilliant tacticians for killing thousands of people before the agreed-upon time (*cough*) but Stannis kills one person in such a way and it's eeeeevil. I have very little sympathy for Renly — he tried to leap-frog both his brother (the rightful king) and his nephews (he made his claim before the incest news got out), for no other reason than ego.

I think of Stannis as Westeros' little engine that could. The odds are against him, he's kind of an unlikeable person (terrific dry wit, though), he's a fraudulent Azor Ahai, he's stuck in a blizzard after already losing the Blackwater. How can you not root for him? :D If only he'd stop burning people ...

Actually, Renly acted much before than that by his plans to wed Robert to Margaery. He was threatened by the Lannister power because after Robert's death, the Lannisters would certainly take Storm's End from him. What a king does, another may undo. And technically, Jofrey had a better claim to Storm's End than Renly.

After Robert died, Renly offered Ned to grab the kids and grab the power in order to get rid of the Lannister rule. When Ned disagreed, he went off to Tyrells.

Renly needed a power to back him up so that he could keep Storm's End (along with his head) and Tyrells were playing to improve their lots. Stannis was nowhere to be seen and regardless of that, Tyrells would never bend knee to a guy who hates them and has a Florent wife. It was a win-win deal for Renly and Tyrells to crown Renly and wed Margaery to him.

So, yes. Renly was a Usurper but better to be Usurper than to be dead.

Actually, Renly acted much before than that by his plans to wed Robert to Margaery. He was threatened by the Lannister power because after Robert's death, the Lannisters would certainly take Storm's End from him. What a king does, another may undo. And technically, Jofrey had a better claim to Storm's End than Renly.

After Robert died, Renly offered Ned to grab the kids and grab the power in order to get rid of the Lannister rule. When Ned disagreed, he went off to Tyrells.

Renly needed a power to back him up so that he could keep Storm's End (along with his head) and Tyrells were playing to improve their lots. Stannis was nowhere to be seen and regardless of that, Tyrells would never bend knee to a guy who hates them and has a Florent wife. It was a win-win deal for Renly and Tyrells to crown Renly and wed Margaery to him.

So, yes. Renly was a Usurper but better to be Usurper than to be dead.

I'm rereading GOT (again) and I just got back to the part with Renly's offer. It sure seems tempting this go 'round.

I'm rereading GOT (again) and I just got back to the part with Renly's offer. It sure seems tempting this go 'round.

It is stated in the Varys-Illyrio speech.

“This is no longer a game for two players, if ever it was. Stannis Baratheon and Lysa Arryn have fled beyond my reach, and the whispers say they are gathering swords around them. The Knight of Flowers writes Highgarden, urging his lord father to send his sister to court. The girl is a maid of fourteen, sweet and beautiful and tractable, and Lord Renly and Ser Loras intend that Robert should bed her, wed her, and make a new queen. Littlefinger…the gods only know what game Littlefinger is playing. Yet Lord Stark’s the one who troubles my sleep. He has the bastard, he has the book, and soon enough he’ll have the truth. And now his wife has abducted Tyrion Lannister, thanks to Littlefinger’s meddling. Lord Tywin will take that for an outrage, and Jaime has a queer affection for the Imp. If the Lannisters move north, that will bring the Tullys in as well. Delay, you say. Make haste, I reply. Even the finest of jugglers cannot keep a hundred balls in the air forever.”

• 1 year later...

While digging around an old Word file for ASOIAF that I've compiled over the years, I came across http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=49161'>this passage in an interview with GRRM, which I thought would be interesting to share:I wonder what others think of this? Certainly I give props to Stannis for being the only king who came to care more about saving the realm than sitting his arse on the Iron Throne, but his adamant insistence that he and he alone is the only rightful king of Westeros will IMO sooner or later get him killed, so while he does seem righteous, he also appears to be self-righteous in equal measure.

What is he supposed to do?Lie and say he is not the one true king.King Robert Baratheon had no trueborn children.Did you forget that Joffery,Mrycella,and Tommen are Lannister bastards born of incest?Stannis is the true king by law!Read the books

Archived