How will the non-reader audience react towards the events ending Season 1?

valacirca

Well... I think that considering the rave reviews the show has been getting and considering the book fans have generally been pleased with the TV adaptation, we can count on the book readers to stick around for as long as the show goes.

But people have speculated that the non-reader audience might get turned off by the shit that goes down at the end of Season 1.

Any thoughts on how the viewership will change from Season 1 to Season 2 and if it will affect whether or not the show gets renewed for a third season?

Personally, I don't get people that say audiences are going to get turned off. The show has a huge (and incredibly talented) ensemble that benefits from a very capable crew and impeccable source material. There's just so match good going on in the show that I can't imagine someone who's enjoying it getting turned off by a few isolated events.

I do not think the plot developments would scare too many viewers, however I'm scared that some non readers may have been expecting the season to end in a big Lord of the Rings type battle and that they may be dissapointed not to get it. The other thing is that at this point I'm afraid it gets easier to lost viewers than gain them as the plot becomes impossible to follow for people who had not seen the previous episodes.

If I was HBO I would produce a 2 hour special summary of the first season like SciFi used to do before a new season of Battlestar Galactica was to start in order to help any people who had missed the first season but want to watch the second.

If AGOT ended with episode 9 it would indeed be a huge downer and lose audience.

Fortunately there is an episode 10 that has many great uplifting moments that can make the audience look forward to season 2.

This is BTW why I am adamantly against ending season 3 at the Red Wedding as some have suggested, that would kill the viewership for season 4.

This is BTW why I am adamantly against ending season 3 at the Red Wedding as some have suggested, that would kill the viewership for season 4.

Its a fair point. The only difference is that, 3 seasons in, viewers should be used to the roller-coaster. Its difficult to guess what is going to happen during 1 season but if people have stuck through 3 seasons, you'd imagine they would be sold on the show, whatever happens.

the season finale is going to need a few really good scenes to keep the show alive in people's memories for a whole year. and even more so to compensate with rushed scenes they're probably going to have to play catch up with book 2

whoever said HBO should put out the DVD for the holidays is really spot on about how to get more viewers though.

the season finale is going to need a few really good scenes to keep the show alive in people's memories for a whole year. and even more so to compensate with rushed scenes they're probably going to have to play catch up with book 2

whoever said HBO should put out the DVD for the holidays is really spot on about how to get more viewers though.

It certainly worked for Tru Blood. The first season was pretty average in viewer numbers but word of mouth and dvd sales and rentals sky rocketed the next seasons ratings. Hopefully the same happens here.

Edit: Dance coming out next month will probably help too. It's also nice to see the previous books are on the amazon best selling list currently (box set is #1 :D) which will also help rope in more viewers.

There are two guys in my office who are not readers and are really enjoying the show...

...until they got the Ep09 punch in the face.

I told them, spoiler-free, that s*** stuff happens and they will be sorry if they don't watch next week, in case they were thinking about quitting. I know I have read more than a few people got to that scene in the book and either gave up on the series, or took a few hours/days/weeks to come back to it.

They were convinced that somehow the end of Ep09 didn't happen the way it looked like it did, and I was forced to tell them, "What you saw was what happened, sorry..." :blush:

They are hooked though I think, not enough to pick up 3100 pages of book and read it, but I think they will be in for the long haul...

I've been showing Game of Thrones to a few non-reader friends, and I made sure they didn't spoil themselves of the Episode 9 ending.

As they dragged Ned Stark into the square, one friend, sitting next to me on the couch, said, "Oh, so this is the cliffhanger," expecting the episode to end with Ned seemingly facing his death, only for him to escape at the start of Episode 10. Then after Joffrey called for Ned's head and everything went into slo-mo, he said, "Well, at least he's the star of the show."

I somehow stopped myself from laughing.

Afterwards he was in disbelief. "Did they just..."

But he'll be back for Episode 10.

Archived