Lexington, KY signing

I know it's a little early to plan, but anyone going to Lexington, KY? Anyone ever been to Lexington? This is the closest George will be getting to the southeast, and happily I have friends at the halfway point to break up the drive. It will still mean a lot of planning and an overnight in Lexington. I'd love to meet up with some other fans. Barring that, I'd also really appreciate advice on where to stay and fun things to do. Thanks!

It's the closest signing to me too. If it was going to be on a Friday or Saturday night, I could make it work....but, alas, there's no way for me to swing it during the week. :frown5:

It's the closest signing to me too. If it was going to be on a Friday or Saturday night, I could make it work....but, alas, there's no way for me to swing it during the week. :frown5:

Drat! I'm having the same problem with all my friends here. I will make a full report upon my return.

• 3 weeks later...

My fiancee and I are from Lexington, we will be in line

If there are enough people coming this way, it would be fantastic to get a group together and catch a bite before the signing. Bourbon and Toulouse is a delicious Cajun place that I frequent that would be a good option, or J. J. McBrewsters is a Kentucky BBQ place featured on Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins.

@ Parris, my messenger seems to be malfunctioning, but I wanted to ask, I don't know if George and yourself will be in town early, but if you end up being free and hungry, Sara and I would love to treat you to some local food, cajun, Kentucky BBQ, or whatever...your pick

And if anyone else is interested please chime in, a small gathering of BwB members is ALWAYS a good time. Now if I can only find a way to ship Padraig to the States. I miss you Pod!!

My fiancee and I are from Lexington, we will be in line

What do you mean "fiancee" are you still not married yet? ;)

You should come back to Belfast and have your wedding at TitanCon! We could try to find a registered Septon for the ceremony...

I would love to meet up for a bite. Totally unfamiliar with Lexington, dying to eat some KY bbq. We're planning on staying near the bookstore, and recommendations in town would be great. I think PMs are off right now due to troll spoilering.

awesome...love those trolls right.

they ruin everything good

Currently no, still engaged. She is in her second year of a two-year teacher apprenticeship, something required in Kentucky, and I'm still in school getting ready to start my own apprenticeship with a local radio station, so we are going to finish those and then proceed. Ideally, next July.

We both really want to come back to Belfast, particularly if there is a possibility of another season 2 filming moot or something similar. Would definitely like the chance to have another drink with you Phil and discuss this new book! Too bad you can't join us in Kentucky eh?

As far as Ky BBQ goes, there are two places in particular I would recommend, definitely J.J. McBrewsters is one for consideration, it's about a mile from Joseph Beth Bookstore. Also there is Old Kentucky Barbecue located on New Circle Rd. Also really good...

I'd love to make it back this year, but I don't think there is going to be room in the schedule.

I'm shooting for 2012. oh and by the way, when were you dubbed "Lord"? I thought it was just Ser. When did you acquire lands and titles?

Ok, i've been pretty low profile over the last couple of weeks with reading the book and work.

But...good to hear that all seems well Romulocks!

Oh and Sara wants me to let you know...we wouldn't need a septon, we worship with the old gods, just a weirwood will do, k thanks.

Good choice! I'm sure HBO have a few weirwood trees spare!

And whatever about Ireland, Worldcon is in Chicago next year. On the map Kentukcy and Chicago don't seem that far away at least. Should be fun. :)

I will never forget the shock on all three of our faces when we realized we were at the wrong train station. Irish taxi drivers really do step on it.

Indeed. I was so mortified. Typical me. Trying to be helpful and ending up bringing you both to the wrong train station.

Glad you made it in the end. :P

Wish I could make it :(

Lily, about a couple miles from Joe Beth's is Butt Rub BBQ. Others in Kentucky might tell you differently, but I don't find KY bbq anything special. Good, but eh.

What Butt Rub does have, though is burgoo, a Kentucky tradition. It is a meat and veggie stew (and really much too hot to eat this time of the year, but it is always served year round and at church picnics.)

Mostly in the area you'll be staying is suburban chain stuff. You'll find mom and pops, they're just hard. Downtown, which isn't but a few miles away, has some good restaurants, too.

Archived