{ADWD SPOILERS} What do we know now that we didn't pre-ADWD?

evanesco75

I took Vary's extolling of 'Aegon's' virtues to a dying man as sort of an indicator that he did care, I suppose. Right man to rule and all. Of course, it might not be that simple.

That's usually called "evil gloating". Ensuring that your victim knows, before dying, how completely you're going ruin everything he tried to preserve, and all that.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Wasn't she a maiden at the wedding? Also, all she talks about is being trained, and we know that many whores go through plenty of training before being put to work.

I agree, her behavior at the wedding was not typical of a girl who'd been whored out before. Also, I suspect those whip marks were from her Training to be Arya, which might not have been littlefingers responsibility.

I think that yes, it does show that Brandon is dishonorable. If he is seducing and deflowering highborn girls and then not marrying them afterwards, that's considerably dishonorable, at least for the Starks, and certainly shows a propensity to do it again. If he was willing to yield to his father and not marry Lady Dustin, then its' also reasonable to assume that he would yield to his father and not marry Ashara.

Also, whatever poster said it, that is a good catch about Barristan talking about "men of mud" and "men of fire", potentially in connection with the Stark men. In that case, the man of mud (good, loyal, but quiet) would have been Ned Stark, and the man of fire (flashy but burns out quickly) would have been Brandon Stark.

Just to be clear - we know that a dragon can only have one rider, but we don't know if a rider can have multiple dragons.

I think GRRM could have gone a bit further with some of the dragon-lore in this book without spoiling too much.

I suppose it's still debatable whether or not dragon riders need to be Targaryens or have Valyrian blood. It's mentioned, but not proven and either way, Quentyn obviously didn't have enough.

If it is true, it limits the number of potential riders to - Jon, Dany, Aegon, possibly Stannis, or at least that's all I can think off of the top of my head.

Then we learn that dragons can only be bound through spells and Valyrian horns. Okay. Really only know of one horn and I'd think the only person that could possible know weird old Valyrian spells would be Marwyn?

I have this feeling that at least one dragon is going to be enslaved by Victarion/Euron and that Bran is going to have to fight for control of it with his super-warg powers.

Just to be clear - we know that a dragon can only have one rider, but we don't know if a rider can have multiple dragons.

the other way around. A dragon can have multiple riders, since its lifetime is much longer than human, But Dany strongly implies nobody ever rode two different dragons.

If Patchface goes to the Nightfort (notorious for men turning into monsters)...

seriously, how fucking creepy is Patchface. He gives me the heebees that nothing really has since the Others appeared at the FotFM.

I'm not even sure wtf he could do if he's surrounded by black brothers and Wildlings but when Mel gets freaked out about him I got freaked out too.

Also that Hardhome letter. Dead things in the water, send help by land. FUCK

I agree, her behavior at the wedding was not typical of a girl who'd been whored out before. Also, I suspect those whip marks were from her Training to be Arya, which might not have been littlefingers responsibility.

I didn't think that her behavior meant she was a maid -- she was terrified to be marrying Ramsey Bolton. She directly asks Theon about his treatment at Ramsey's hands, and she's been hearing rumors about him. Whatever past experiences with pleasuring men she has had are likely to extremely traumatic given those scars, which gives her plenty of reason to be afraid of having sex.

the other way around. A dragon can have multiple riders, since its lifetime is much longer than human, But Dany strongly implies nobody ever rode two different dragons.

A dragon can only have one rider as long as that rider is alive, apparently.

I don't think there's a reason a rider would need multiple dragons, I'm just pointing it out that it hasn't been ruled out as possible.

I don't think there's a reason a rider would need multiple dragons, I'm just pointing it out that it hasn't been ruled out as possible.

I dunno man, they say something like "even Aegon didn't dare to ride either of his sister's dragons"

Seems to imply if you're riding one, don't ride any others. That was back in the day though, and nobody really knows sweet FA about dragons.

“One of them. All I know of dragons is what my brother told me when I was a girl, and some I read in books, but it is said that even Aegon the Conqueror never dared mount Vhagar or Meraxes, nor did his sisters ride Balerion the Black Dread. Dragons live longer than men, some for hundreds of years, so Balerion had other riders after Aegon died … but no rider ever flew two dragons.”

I do not think, from sentence above, that GRRM is going to use that.

We know that their used to be Lions in the Westerlands, before they were killed off. We also know that there is still one in the dungeons of Casterly Rock.

We also know that Tyrion was definitively born in 274, I remember someone trying to argue against that right before release date in the general forum.

Also that Hardhome letter. Dead things in the water, send help by land. FUCK

Yes, one of the high points of the book (along with the great Lord Manderly). I hope that Hardhome doesn't just happen off-stage. So many great candidates for the Prologue of the next book!

It's also very Stephen Donaldson-like horror.

Yes, one of the high points of the book (along with the great Lord Manderly). I hope that Hardhome doesn't just happen off-stage. So many great candidates for the Prologue of the next book!

It's also very Stephen Donaldson-like horror.

God yes. "Dead things in the water. Dead things in the forest.". Loved that. I loved Ramsay's letter as well, it was like a slap in the face right from being addressed 'Bastard'.

That's usually called "evil gloating". Ensuring that your victim knows, before dying, how completely you're going ruin everything he tried to preserve, and all that.

Not my point. It's about Varys genuinely believing he's doing the 'right thing.' The way he listed Aegon's many virtues (the implication being he's fit to rule on all levels) indicated he'd put serious thought into what a 'good king should be'. Couple that with the fact that Kevan was dying, and it feels...honest.

I thought it was interesting that Tyrion was convinced that Illyrio was involved in these plots for some greater gain than becoming Master of Coin. Which also hints at the motivations of Varys. While Varys is clearly attempting to pave the way for the Targs return, there is still something hidden about his true intentions.

I'm starting to wonder whether "Aegon" is Illyrio's son with that second wife he had.

I'm starting to wonder whether "Aegon" is Illyrio's son with that second wife he had.

Interesting thought-- it was fun to find that the beautiful blond youth as the statue in the gardens was really Illyrio as a teen; when it was first described, I thought it might have been a Targaryen.

Interesting thought-- it was fun to find that the beautiful blond youth as the statue in the gardens was really Illyrio as a teen; when it was first described, I thought it might have been a Targaryen.

Maybe Illyio got fat on purpose so that the connection between father and son couldn't be made?

Archived