{ADWD SPOILERS} What do we know now that we didn't pre-ADWD?

evanesco75

I thought it was interesting that Tyrion was convinced that Illyrio was involved in these plots for some greater gain than becoming Master of Coin. Which also hints at the motivations of Varys. While Varys is clearly attempting to pave the way for the Targs return, there is still something hidden about his true intentions.

ROFL are you saying that never knew that Varys had mysterious intentions? That's the character in a nutshell. The thread topic is "What do we know that we didn't pre-ADWD?" not "what theories/issues/plotlines are still outstanding post-ADWD?" For the latter, check out the rest of the forum.

Brandon was a Man of the World, that's all. Nothing sinister in that. Perhaps he was a bit of a douche to his exes, but that hardly makes him an evil man. :)

That said, could somebody explain to me the Bloodraven theory/fact. I think I've got the broad points, but I'd love to know how that one came to be.

Thank you.

Itkovian

My take on Brandon is that he was basically the previous generation's Theon when it came to the ladies. He liked seducing them and getting laid and was sort of a douche about it, but didn't go to the level of raping Ashara.

Brandon was a Man of the World, that's all. Nothing sinister in that. Perhaps he was a bit of a douche to his exes, but that hardly makes him an evil man. :)

That said, could somebody explain to me the Bloodraven theory/fact. I think I've got the broad points, but I'd love to know how that one came to be.

Thank you.

Itkovian

Bloodraven is a major character in the Dunk and Egg stories.

WE knew that at some point he was sent to the wall.

We knew that he became Lord Commander.

We new that he had some sort of magical abilities.

People guessed that he might be the three eyed crow.

Confirmed in Dance that Bloodraven is the three eyed crow.

Facial scar, former member of the Night's Watch, has his name, and very old.

one thing we found out: The children of the forest still exist and they are allied with the three eyed crow.

Thank you.

Itkovian

The first time Bran sees the 3 Eyed Crow, the 3EC says, 'I have been watching you with a thousand eyes and one' - a reference to the song, "A Thousand Eyes and One" which is about Bloodraven.

The 3EC is called the 3EC in part because he only has one human eye + 2 crow's eyes = 3 eyes. Bloodraven only had one eye.

The 3EC and Bran have the following exchange about his name:

“I wore many names when I was quick, but even I once had a mother, and the name she gave

me at her breast was Brynden.”

“I have an uncle Brynden,” Bran said. “He’s my mother’s uncle, really. Brynden Blackfish, he’s

called.”

“Your uncle may have been named for me. Some are, still. Not so many as before. Men forget.

Only the trees remember.”

Aerys had to have sent his Kingsguard to the Tower of Joy, not Rhaegar. From Barristan's first POV chapter:

Strictly speaking, it was purely the king's choice whether or not to extend Kingsguard protection to others, even those of royal blood.

Still pretty ambiguous as to why, though. I think I've read theories here about Rhaegar convincing his father to send them as well as other theories that Rhaegar and Aerys were suspicious of each other and not on talking terms.

Or Ramsey is lying and the battle is yet to occur

Or it is one of the chapters that got bumped back to the next book.

Only Crow'seye Umber attacked coming down from Last Hearth that was the horns Theon was hearing when he escaped. (Stannis uses trumpets) and Ramsay couldn't have faced Stannis because Theon and Jeyne and the Bravosi Banker are where Asha is and Asha is a prisoner of Stannis. Ramsay must think that Theon and Jeyne fled north to the wall so he sent a Raven to them. Winterfell may even be under siege if the Manderly's turned on the Frey's Rhyswels and Boltons.

As to why he skipped that scene there was no POV character left in Winterfell with Theon gone.

We know Loras was maimed. (Alas poor Grand Tyrell Conspiracy Theory, I knew him well)

No we don't. You are dead wrong on this.

There is nobody with any greater knowledge now (than Aurane Waters initially delivered in AFFC) who confirms the injuries to Loras to be a fact. Indeed, the acolyte who was ABOUT to mention Margaery's brother to Cersei is HUSHED LOUDLY by a Septon so that Cersei does NOT learn more about it. That scene tedns to CONFIRM the conspiracy, not debunk it.

Read the book again my friend. You weren't paying close enough attention.

I think the lot number has something to do with the slave auctions. I remember noticing "lot number.." being said when Tyrion was being sold, so a wild guess would be that either Mel was lot number seven (i think that was the number) or this Melony was, who ever she is.

I am pretty sure that Melony=Melisandre, her name given to her by her mother, and she was sold to the faith as a slave as part of "Lot Seven".

Jon makes a horrible Lord Commander.

I wouldn't say that he made controversial hard decisions and was a Humanist. He was visionary. Like so many leaders who tried to change the way that people viewed the world and treated their fellow man his views were deemed to radical and radical views are ussualy forcibly put down (MLK Jr. Lincoln, Malcolm X, JFK, RFK, Ghandi, Jesus, Sacrates) Jon being honorable believed that the night watch was meant to protect the realms of men and the wildlings were men but the old established members of the night's watch were not ready to acknowledge that there was a new common enemy. It doesn't make him a bad Lord Commander, it makes Bowen Marsh, Queen Sylis(SP?) (I think she was in on it)and their coconspirtors ass holes. Jon was a visionary and a radical that had honor and wasn't willing to turn his back on people in danger. He put his own life and comfort behind the needs and safety of others. He made mistakes but he was a good leader.

Archived