{ADWD SPOILERS} What do we know now that we didn't pre-ADWD?

evanesco75

That said, could somebody explain to me the Bloodraven theory/fact. I think I've got the broad points, but I'd love to know how that one came to be.

Bloodraven was Brynden Rivers (due to a blood-colored birthmark that was shaped like a bird). A legitimized Targaryen bastard who became the king's hand for Aerys I. He was suspected of sorcery, and was basically the Varys of his day. He was said to have "one thousand eyes, and one." Meaning his spy network (and his secret warging abilities)

He was a one-eyed albino, which caused people to hate/fear him even more (shades of Tyrion, the "afflicted" reaching the heights of power tend to be viewed as monsters). At some point (for unstated reasons), he was put into the Black Cells. When Aegon V/Aegon the Unlikely/Egg became king, he sent Bloodraven to The Wall. Where aside from giving Maester Aemon some family to chill with (sorry), he was elected Lord Commander of the Nights Watch.

I wouldn't say that he made controversial hard decisions and was a Humanist. He was visionary. Like so many leaders who tried to change the way that people viewed the world and treated their fellow man his views were deemed to radical and radical views are ussualy forcibly put down (MLK Jr. Lincoln, Malcolm X, JFK, RFK, Ghandi, Jesus, Sacrates) Jon being honorable believed that the night watch was meant to protect the realms of men and the wildlings were men but the old established members of the night's watch were not ready to acknowledge that there was a new common enemy. It doesn't make him a bad Lord Commander, it makes Bowen Marsh, Queen Sylis(SP?) (I think she was in on it)and their coconspirtors ass holes. Jon was a visionary and a radical that had honor and wasn't willing to turn his back on people in danger. He put his own life and comfort behind the needs and safety of others. He made mistakes but he was a good leader.

Most of those you mentioned there where not put down for their radical views.

Off-topic.

Kevan also confirms that Loras has been "grievously wounded", it's not just Cersei that thinks so. And given that the septas say that he's with his sister, this can't just be some lie that the Tyrells have been spreading, Kevan must have seen him.

ETA: Must have misread the last bit, I can now not find any confirmation that Loras is back home. Never mind then!

No we don't. You are dead wrong on this.

There is nobody with any greater knowledge now (than Aurane Waters initially delivered in AFFC) who confirms the injuries to Loras to be a fact. Indeed, the acolyte who was ABOUT to mention Margaery's brother to Cersei is HUSHED LOUDLY by a Septon so that Cersei does NOT learn more about it. That scene tedns to CONFIRM the conspiracy, not debunk it.

Read the book again my friend. You weren't paying close enough attention.

yeah this is how i saw it

I think it's almost certain that Lightbringer was a dragon and not a sword and that Ahzor Ahai is going to use a dragon to fight back the darkness. I think that someone, I can't remember who off hand,refers to dragons as being like swords. And we keep seeing that dragons are like fire made flesh. We also know that dragons don't obey their masters just because so I can see the Nissa Nissa story evolving from the fact that the original AA's wife was eaten by his dragon or feed to it.

We know that all of the Melisandre was originally a slave, or a slave owner, I'm betting on slave though. We also know that GRRM has a wacked out since of joke set up. Everybody is talking about the "Dwarf's Penny" and now there is a character with a crush on him that's a dwarf named Penny.

Also we know that the Lannister boys have a deep seated need to fixate on one phrase. "Where do whores go?" is the new "She's been fucking Lancel and Osmond Kettleblack and Moonboy for all I know".

I agree; I don't think he was a rapist. I think he was a player.

As I said above - he was a jerk (or a 'player') and _possibly_ a rapist, at least in the date-rape sense.

This piece of info complicates the picture of Ned's family, particularly since Ned himself seems to have been oblivious to it.

I think that I am like most readers in assuming that Rikard and Brandon were just like Ned, ultra-honor-obsessed "men of the north". Now we know that Brandon likely fell short in the character department, while Rikard, acording to at least one person, was perceived as being more like Cat than Ned - in the North, but with 'southron ambitions.'

Interesting.

We learned that Littlefinger prostituted Jeyne Poole out and had her beaten in his brothels.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Wasn't she a maiden at the wedding? Also, all she talks about is being trained, and we know that many whores go through plenty of training before being put to work.

We know that all of the Melisandre was originally a slave, or a slave owner, I'm betting on slave though. We also know that GRRM has a wacked out since of joke set up. Everybody is talking about the "Dwarf's Penny" and now there is a character with a crush on him that's a dwarf named Penny.

I'm tending to think that a lot of Red Priests might be former slaves. I remember someone mentioning in ADWD that the temples buy up slaves and use them as priests and acolytes.

I think it's almost certain that Lightbringer was a dragon and not a sword and that Ahzor Ahai is going to use a dragon to fight back the darkness. I think that someone, I can't remember who off hand,refers to dragons as being like swords. And we keep seeing that dragons are like fire made flesh. We also know that dragons don't obey their masters just because so I can see the Nissa Nissa story evolving from the fact that the original AA's wife was eaten by his dragon or feed to it.

We don't "know" anything of this sort. This is just your random theory. Also we don't "know" that dragons don't obey their masters. They may very well obey masters that have actually, you know, mastered a dragon and know what the fuck they are doing. What we actually know is that if a boring good guy fantasy archetype like Quentyn "mud" Tyrell tries to woo a hot chick like Dany or sneak in and rob a dragon, he's getting his dumb ass rejected and then burned alive.

We don't "know" anything of this sort. This is just your random theory. Also we don't "know" that dragons don't obey their masters. They may very well obey masters that have actually, you know, mastered a dragon and know what the fuck they are doing. What we actually know is that if a boring good guy fantasy archetype like Quentyn "mud" Tyrell tries to woo a hot chick like Dany or sneak in and rob a dragon, he's getting his dumb ass rejected and then burned alive.

Of course we don't know, know the first part but the second part we absolutly do know. Dragons don't just follow Targs becasue their targs, Drogon would have fried and eaten Dany if there hadn't been extenuating circumstances, and we know that someone in the past had their wife eaten by a dragon that they had been riding. So yeah, dragons don't just blatantly obey.

Hopefully, this will be helpful in understanding knowledge v. theory:

We know now that servants of R'h are generally bought slaves and are marked on the cheek. We also know now that Mel was once sold as a slave. We know now Mel can glamor. We also have known (old info) that Mel is attractive and does not have a tatoo on her face.

We can THEORIZE...well, that is off topic :-P

Hopefully, this will be helpful in understanding knowledge v. theory:

We know now that servants of R'h are generally bought slaves and are marked on the cheek. We also know now that Mel was once sold as a slave. We know now Mel can glamor. We also have known (old info) that Mel is attractive and does not have a tatoo on her face.

We can THEORIZE...well, that is off topic :-P

I'm pretty sure that I know the difference between knowing and theorizing. I don't need your explanation.

If you're gonna be so condescending at least get the guy's last name right.

By my count, thats three weddings with no associated funerals. Unusual for ASOIAF.

Although, I suppose it depends on what one makes of the pie.

Apropos - we know Stannis is more frigid than ever, and for all his espousal of R'hllor, refuses to have a second wedding himself.

Archived