[ADwD Spoilers] All of the little things

Ahri Adaran

Well if Jon is revived and healed I think that ends his career as LC. I do not see him leaving the wall however, most likely he would take command of the wildlings.

If the letter makes it to him I could see him accepting Robbs letter and the Stark name, and act as regent until Rikkon is found and then of age. Jon does not seem the type to put himself before Ned's trueborn sons. The Northern lords would be more welcoming to a teenage lord than a 5 year old, seeing as it is already Winter.

It will all depend on how things go with Stannis. I think the Boltons are being abandoned left and right at the time the bastard of Bolton writes his letter to Jon.

I think Mel will heal/revive Jon but I am not worried about him being a zombie like Cat. Mel had a vision of Jon then a wolf then Jon again. So chances are he wargs Ghost long enough for Mel to do her thing and heal his body. Then he pops back in.

On a side note I have the feeling that Jon and Val hook up in the next book.

I wonder if Mel's glamor is revealed when they battle the others. It seems likely that she is at least older than she appears. That ruby seems to be the key to her powers/ and or glamor.

I am also in the camp that the Blackfish was in Winterfell.

Very minor, quick question (and apologies if this has been addressed exhaustively elsewhere):

Is it just assumed that all three of Dany's dragons are male? Is it possible that one (two, all three!) might be female? And what might be the implications of this?

Just a thought.

In AFFC, Maester Aemon reflects that in Valyrian, prince/princess is the same word and mentions that the gender duality is derived from the nature of dragons. So effectively, they're both.

I mentioned this in the Still Reading thread.

Missandei has golden eyes and is around eleven years old. She is constantly giving better advice than most adults would give, Ser Barristan himself noting that she's smarter than half the people in his council ruling Mereen.

Children of the Forest have golden eyes. They look to around Arya's age, or around 11. The Child that Bran meets mentions that sometimes they walk the world of men, disguised as humans. They consider men to basically be the children and live a very long time.

I postulate that Missandei is observing Dany and her dragons for the Children and using a degree of magic to obscure the most exotic features of her people. They have an interest in them, with the Others and everything.

Problems with this- she apparently had brothers among the Unsullied and the Children with Bran don't seem that great with languages. Missandei seems to know several. If she is one of the Children than she'd have to be one particularly well traveled to know so many human languages. The Unsullied are maybe former traveling companions of hers that didn't know/never revealed her true identity, and thus she mourns for them and considers them like brothers.

I'll go a step further--I think (and by think, I mean hypothesize wildly) Missandei's entire Peaceful People of Naath, including her brothers, are the Essosian cousins to the Westerosi Children of Forest. Back in ASoS, we learned "the Peaceful People made music instead of war." In ADwD, we get "The singers sing sad songs, while men would fight and kill."

The physical similarities don't stop at the golden eye color; both people are described as dark-skinned (dusky and nut-brown, respectively), and both are specified as having unusually large eyes. Bran says those who sing the songs of earth have "large ears that could hear things no man could hear," and Missandei consistently hears things that no one else can.

Of course, those who sing the songs of earth have four fingers with claws, and I'm pretty sure someone would have noticed if Missandei did. But whatever. If the Westerosi and Essosian branches of the race have been separated for generations, perhaps the Peaceful People interbred with humans in the interval. Or maybe they're using magic, like Kosciuszko theorized. It's my crackpot theory and I'm sticking with it.

Any time we get a description of Satin, Jon's steward, there's always a mention of his black, curly hair. Given that he was born in a Oldtown brothel and is of an age with the rest of Robert's illegitimate offspring from the Rebellion, are we to imagine that he (like Gendry & Belle) is a Baratheon bastard?

First off, this is my first post.

Secondly, is it possible that new Brienne isn't who she says she is?

Its established that Red Priests can use glamor to disguise people. It is also established that this glamor works more effectively if the person in question is wearing an item of great significance to the individual that facade is based on (i.e Mance being able to hide his identity by wearing the Lord of Bones' armor). If Thoros is still in the BwB it would be easy for him to disguise one of them (possibly even Lady Stoneheart) using Oathkeeper or her clothing, in order to get her close to Jamie.

Just a thought.

And while I'm speculating - is it possible that the palace coup headed by Barristan Selmy is the betrayal for love? We all know he has good reasons for it, but how is Dany going to feel about the matter when she comes back to Mereen?

Interesting thought, but I think the betrayal for love (if it hasn't happened yet) will be something a little more emotionally devastating for Dany. Maybe Daario will sell her out, or even something more drastic. Just a feeling, really.

I'll go a step further--I think (and by think, I mean hypothesize wildly) Missandei's entire Peaceful People of Naath, including her brothers, are the Essosian cousins to the Westerosi Children of Forest. Back in ASoS, we learned "the Peaceful People made music instead of war." In ADwD, we get "The singers sing sad songs, while men would fight and kill."

The physical similarities don't stop at the golden eye color; both people are described as dark-skinned (dusky and nut-brown, respectively), and both are specified as having unusually large eyes.

This idea intrigues me.

And what about Victarion's "dusky woman"? She seems significant and the description has many similarities.

Archived