[ADwD Spoilers] All of the little things

Ahri Adaran

Did anyone notice that Jon Snow had a dream in which he was holding a glowing red sword and fighting off the dead?

Yes, it's mentioned in most of the Jon threads as proof that he is/will be AAR/TPTWP

And what about Victarion's "dusky woman"? She seems significant and the description has many similarities.

Some have speculated that she has poisoned his wound

Won't the House Targaryen Valyrian sword for kings, Blackfyre, turn up? Probably to give to Aegon as he presses his claim to the throne? Bittersteel and Daemon Blackfyre's prodigy brought it with them when they crossed the Narrow Sea and founded the Golden Company. Wouldn't the Golden Company have saved it?

One thing that's had the wheels in my head turning is the brief description of eye colour in one of Bran's chapters. Most notably that red eyes = COTF. Is Mel one of the COTF? Perhaps a descendant? :o

Not really.

From Bran's chapters -

CotF population in general = golden, cat-like eyes

CotF born with green eyes = green dreamer

CotF born with red eyes = green seer.

I may be getting the last two the wrong way round.

Lots of people took issue with this post but the most obvious reason it makes no sense is that Jon is in no way going to inherit Winterfell. Robb's will is often speculated to legitimize Jon as a Stark of Winterfell but he'd still be behind the trueborn brothers of Bran and Rickon, and let's get real, Robb isn't going to just fuck Bran or Rick with his will, and be like "ITS URS DUDE" especially knowing that his brother is a part of the Night's Watch and he's been raised his whole life knowing and WATCHING what happens when you leave your post.

And what does greyscale have to do with Jon? As far as I'm aware, other than the fact that he met a little girl with it, absolutely nothing.

*AND* there's no way Jon, as a legitimized Stark or not, would ever fuck with their ancient sigil. He respects his heritage too much, even if he was begrudgingly at bastard status his whole life.

Anyway, I just had to nerdrage about that for a minute. But good call noticing about the bastardization change of colors, that may actually become a huge clue to something later on, I feel like GRRM wouldn't include that info for no reason.

What I meant was that if Robb had indeed legitimised Jon before his death, Jon would need a coat of arms. Inverting the colours of the Stark sigil would not constitute 'fucking with' his heritage or whatever. That is how legitimised bastards and younger sons start their own Houses, like Karstark and Blackfyre, by coming up with new/derivative sigils. And nowhere have I implied he will inherit Winterfell...? He might become Lord of Winterfell for a while, as it is patently obvious he won't be part of the Night's Watch for much longer and Bran and Rickon are, let me remind you, presumed dead, but I don't think he'll keep the title for long. Most likely he'll take Winterfell from the Boltons and deliver it to Sansa or Rickon, once they show up.

The point I was trying to make was that a white direwolf on a grey field could turn out to be a very appropriate sigil for him if greyscale spread in the North, as we have been led to believe it will.

The dwarf juggler who was killed in Tyrosh in ADwD was probably the head presented by the Tyroshi to Cersei in AFfC, it seems the Tyroshi who killed the dwarf got his just rewards when Cersei had him given to Qyburn.

Actually, the prophecy in question was regarding Drogo's return, and all of the impossible things that will happen before he comes back, one of which is Dany being fertile.

If you'll remember, she bled an awful lot and couldn't remember the last time she'd previously had her period so... I'm thinking miscarriage, which means that her womb "quickened" fulfilling all of the bits of prophecy.

Drogo's returning somehow?

What if Dany is finally able to tame Drogon? Maybe that is the way Drogo will return to her, through the dragon and his name.

What if Dany is finally able to tame Drogon? Maybe that is the way Drogo will return to her, through the dragon and his name.

I kind of like this idea, that Drogo returns to her just in name, if the Mirri Maz Dur "prophecy" must be fulfilled. It's by far the weakest "prophecy" in the series, really, so I mostly just hope that it was meaningless.

We find out in this book that King Aerys bedded Joanna Lannister. That information adds to the theory that Tyrion is a Targaryen:

- Unlike most Lannisters, with green eyes and golden hair, Tyrion has mismatched black/green eyes and white-blond hair.

- Tywin never treated Tyrion as a son and would never let him inherit Casterly Rock. This may go beyond him being just a dwarf.

- Joanna Lannister died in childbirth with Tyrion, just like Dany's mom (Rhaella Targaryen) and Jon's probable mom (Lyanna Stark)

We find out in this book that King Aerys bedded Joanna Lannister. That information adds to the theory that Tyrion is a Targaryen:

- Unlike most Lannisters, with green eyes and golden hair, Tyrion has mismatched black/green eyes and white-blond hair.

- Tywin never treated Tyrion as a son and would never let him inherit Casterly Rock. This may go beyond him being just a dwarf.

- Joanna Lannister died in childbirth with Tyrion, just like Dany's mom (Rhaella Targaryen) and Jon's probable mom (Lyanna Stark)

Since this discussion is already in another thread, I´ll keep it short. We DON´T Find out Aerys "bedded" Joanna, only that he behaved inappropriate at the wedding and lusted after her. And if he DID bed her, it might as well support the theory that Tyrion is Tywins ONLY trueborn son

- Unlike his sister and brother, he doesn´t practice incest, as the targaryans do.

- Unlike his brother and sister, he´s not extremely beautiful but rather, an ugly dwarf like the founder of house lannister.

- Unlike his sister, who is as paranoid and enamored with fire as king Aerys was, Tyrion is clever and mostly sane. Unlike his brother, he is interested in politics and not just in beeing the best swordsman in the realm.

- Tywin hated his guts, having to realise that his only trueborn son is an ugly dwarf while the children that might be from the King - I´m guessing that Tywin couldn´t tell for sure if the king really did more than lust and so tried to deny this possibility to himself - are beautiful and healthy. Thus Tyrions appearance reinforced any doubts Tywin might have had of his wife... The only way to still close his eyes to the true father of the twins would be to treat Tyrion as "not his son".

Additionally, storytelling wise, this second theory would lead to Jaime being a Kinslayer as well and would add another tragic element to the death of king aerys. I like it. :D THough I admit both theories might be utterly wrong.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Stannis and Melisandre are apparently fucking.

p. 410: "Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use."

Yes, but its "all in a good cause", ie: S+M=killer shadow

Since this discussion is already in another thread, I´ll keep it short. We DON´T Find out Aerys "bedded" Joanna, only that he behaved inappropriate at the wedding and lusted after her. And if he DID bed her, it might as well support the theory that Tyrion is Tywins ONLY trueborn son

- Unlike his sister and brother, he doesn´t practice incest, as the targaryans do.

- Unlike his brother and sister, he´s not extremely beautiful but rather, an ugly dwarf like the founder of house lannister.

- Unlike his sister, who is as paranoid and enamored with fire as king Aerys was, Tyrion is clever and mostly sane. Unlike his brother, he is interested in politics and not just in beeing the best swordsman in the realm.

- Tywin hated his guts, having to realise that his only trueborn son is an ugly dwarf while the children that might be from the King - I´m guessing that Tywin couldn´t tell for sure if the king really did more than lust and so tried to deny this possibility to himself - are beautiful and healthy. Thus Tyrions appearance reinforced any doubts Tywin might have had of his wife... The only way to still close his eyes to the true father of the twins would be to treat Tyrion as "not his son".

Additionally, storytelling wise, this second theory would lead to Jaime being a Kinslayer as well and would add another tragic element to the death of king aerys. I like it. :D THough I admit both theories might be utterly wrong.

I like this theory too, great points. It's possible that the Aerys/Joanna mention in this book is a red herring, but either of these possibilities would be pretty entertaining

The dwarf juggler who was killed in Tyrosh in ADwD was probably the head presented by the Tyroshi to Cersei in AFfC, it seems the Tyroshi who killed the dwarf got his just rewards when Cersei had him given to Qyburn.

Nice!

I don't think so. The head presented to Cersei had a bulbous nose and the dwarf kept saying that he was a holy brother. It's the dwarf monk that Brienne encounters on her journey.

Just an odd thought, but the "cast list" at the back of the book includes all the surviving Nights Watch mutineers hanging out at Craster's place north of the wall.

Unless I missed something they don't appear in the book itself but as various chapters have presumably been moved as usual forward to the next one we clearly haven't heard the last of them.

Archived