[ADwD Spoilers] All of the little things

Ahri Adaran

In the chapters about the wedding at Winterfell and its aftermath, did it strike you as strange that none of the Stark's loyal bannermen spoke to "Arya"? Not even to wish her well and make the usual polite noises? After all, she is supposedly the last surviving member of an ancient and respected house, you'd think they'd pay her some hommage. Equally strange, after the wedding, when she was confined to Ramsey's bedchamber, everybody just forgot about her? Only Lady Whatsis noticed her crying, and she only spoke to Theon about it.

Anyway, I was trying to decide whether this snubbing of the Lady of Winterfell meant (1) all of the Lords knew she was a fake, (2) they were all so afraid of Ramsey Bolton that they didn't dare speak to his bride, or (3) GRRM just couldn't be bothered to give her more screen time.

Any thoughts?

Agggggh! Typos!

Is anyone else slightly annoyed/curious that Stannis is executing cannibals, but Renly remembers Stannis preparing them to eat corpses back during the seige of Storm's End?

My question is this: the Northerners following Stannis (the clansmen and Mors Umber, not counting the treacherous Arnolf Karstark) aren't going "OMG, Stannis does have the best claim to the Iron Throne, all hail King Stannis!" They're basically using him to destroy the Boltons and get back Arya. Really, only one guy has actually said "Yes, I'll support Stannis as King, if you do this one thing for me": Lord Manderly.

Lord Manderly. The cannibal. Stannis has been executing his own men for cannibalism in a time when cannibalism actually makes sense. Manderly's little joke with the pies won't stay secret forever. So will Stannis try and execute him? I think he totally will.

Just noticed that Xaro told Dany that Pyat Pree and three other warlocks set out from Qarth to seek for her in Pentos. In AFFC Euron Greyjoy describes capturing a ship with four Qartheen warlocks "who told a curious tale" -- Euron kills one and feeds him to the other three.

What about the corpses in the ice cells that don't become wights? I only noticed when Jon noticed, which is the same time he thought of their iron shackles.

Iron, which according to rumor keeps the ghosts of the Starks confined in their crypt in Winterfell.

Anyone else think there might be something to that?

As someone had mentioned up above I believe the wights that attacked Mormont in aGoT did not reanimate until they got to Castle Black, unless they were playing dead...I kind of thought the reason these corpses didn't reanimate was that they were not killed by Others...I might be wrong but for some reason I got the idea that any old body wouldn't just get up on it's own, that the Others needed to have some sort of contact with it (if not killing it directly)...like I said though I could be off, I don't really have any evidence to support it, I just kind of got that impression for some reason.

The cloaked man Theon randomly encounters calls him "Theon Turncloak" AND "Theon Kinslayer". Everyone at Winterfell uses the former, but only the spearwives/washerwomen use the latter, presumably because, in wildling culture, a foster child is "part of the clan" (remember how Ygritte tells Jon that a wife should be stolen from a different clan because otherwise it would be like marrying your sister).

Could this be a hint that Mance snuck additional (wildling) men inside Winterfell? I can't imagine he'd tell someone like Theon his entire plan---hell, he never even told Theon his real name. The seemingly random murders might have served a dual purpose: turn Winterfell's inhabitants against each other AND get rid of people who spotted Mance bringing in extra wildlings. Theon took the castle via grappling hooks, in the dead of night; Mance might have snuck some additional men in by dressing them in white, getting the spearwives to distract/kill anyone in the vicinity, and then bringing the men over Winterfell's walls.

The bit about Eddard saying "let them grow as close as brothers" or something to that effect reminds me of what Theon says on the next chapter. Something about Robb having been the closest thing to a brother to him, and that he wishes he had died with him.

Or, y'know..the mysterious dude Theon meets is the Blackfish.

Getting him there is easy - he leaves Riverrun, takes a boat/ship to White Harbour, and talks to Manderly, and helps plan his revenge. Hides in plain sight as a sworn man, travels to Winterfell to grab Arya...

I still think it makes FAR more sense for Lanna to be a bastard daughter of Gerion Lannister who was lost at sea (or heck maybe trueborn if he married foolishly in the same fashion Tyrion did Tysha). Even IF Tyrion happened to get Tysha pregnant, after what she was put through by them, I can't imagine her wistfully pining away for her husband and naming her daughter after his family.

Except in ADwD Tyrion remembers Gerion left almost 10 years ago. Lanna should be older than that would make her. AFFC they said the Sailor's Wife hadn't seen her husband since she was no older than little Lanna.

BTW - to the original poster, the info about Lanna being the daughter of The Sailor's Wife was in the AFFC appendix also.

I love the Mel has a glamour theory. More evidence: She has the ruby red pendant that beats with an inner light. That is exactly like the beating ruby that Mance has when the Rattleshirt glamour is active. And Mel says a word that turns the ruby off in the scene where he switches back to Mance.

Just noticed that Xaro told Dany that Pyat Pree and three other warlocks set out from Qarth to seek for her in Pentos. In AFFC Euron Greyjoy describes capturing a ship with four Qartheen warlocks "who told a curious tale" -- Euron kills one and feeds him to the other three.

Good catch!

The appendix confirms that Lanna is the Sailor's Wife's daughter. Apparently whores go to Braavos and Tyrion has a trueborn daughter.

Wait, what? Because some luxury whore named her daughter Lanna (a fairly common girl's name), we assume that she's Tysha? :shocked:

Am I the only one who thought that Mormont's crow saying "Jon Snow" was a monumental moment? My first thought was of Bran warging into the crow and finding Jon and speaking out. Any thoughts?

I thought it was Bran warging into the crow too.

I also thought that the whole story of Queen Danerys and the Water Garden was a nice bit of foreshadowing.. especially when she says that all children, high and lowborn, look the same. I don't for a minute think that Aegon is the real Aegon. Hence all children, high and lowborn, look the same.

Good point! I also thought for sure that Aegon was a False Dragon (tm Jordan, lol), but Varys's epilogue sorta confused me on that...

um, no, i don't think so; at least according to Seinfeld, it's not. Non-dwarf parents can have dwarf children, so it has to be recessive.

EDIT: I see what you're saying about the mutation, so maybe you're right.

Let's review dominant genes.

You can be homozygous (meaning two copies) of a trait or not a trait.

You can be heterozygous (meaning one copy of the gene, and one copy without) for a trait.

Dominant genes are expressed in homozygous people.

As I recall, dwarfism is dominant, and being homozygous for it is fatal. (I also seem to recall it being caused by two different genes, but either one is dominant).

So, anyone with dwarfism mating with someone without dwarfism:

50% chance of a child with dwarfism

50% without.

Dominant does not equal "always passed on".

Tyrion can have normal-sized kids.

didn't read the whole thread, but did anyone else notice that one of "Arya's" regular bathwater carriers is named "Maisie"? I immediately thought of Maisie Williams - possible tip of the hat?

My question is this: the Northerners following Stannis (the clansmen and Mors Umber, not counting the treacherous Arnolf Karstark) aren't going "OMG, Stannis does have the best claim to the Iron Throne, all hail King Stannis!" They're basically using him to destroy the Boltons and get back Arya. Really, only one guy has actually said "Yes, I'll support Stannis as King, if you do this one thing for me": Lord Manderly.

Lord Manderly. The cannibal. Stannis has been executing his own men for cannibalism in a time when cannibalism actually makes sense. Manderly's little joke with the pies won't stay secret forever. So will Stannis try and execute him? I think he totally will.

Fear not, Stannis will be long dead by that point . . .

not sure if anyone got to this, but im pretty sure the raven calls jon by his full name is because bran is warging into that raven, and i think the braavosi banker gave stannis the message about arnolf karstark. this is gonna play into bolton thinking he defeated stannis somehow. and what were the horns blowing outside of winterfell? mors umber? the coming nw with the banker in tow?

Archived