[ADwD Spoilers] All of the little things

Ahri Adaran

So, a question:

The tree-man whom Bran meets is Lord Blooraven, right? I mean, he has to be; the birthmark, the Night's Watch black garb, the one eye, the whole 'thousand eyes and one' bit. Plus the fact that he's a tree-man sustained obviously by sorcery, and if I remember correctly, he was rumoured to be into sorcery even back during when he was 'alive'.

I just wanted to be sure because I fucking love his character, even though he doesn't appear much in the SoIaF universe.

Okay, thanks. I kinda love that GRRM pulled him into the main section of the series. I even did a little jig when I had read that part through a couple times, after I was pretty sure it was him.

Re: Dark Sister, maybe the Children have it? If he'd left it at the Wall, then I suppose it would have turned up by now; seems like the Old Bear, Maester Aemon, or Donal Noye would have known about it.

Very tiny point, but Jon uses the exact same negotiating strategy with the representative of the Iron Bank that Catleyn used with Walder Frey when she obtained passage of the twins. I wondered if that was a subtle reminder that the two of them had a deeper relationship than either was willing to admit when they parted.

sPh

I have a hazy recollection of GRRM saying he was at some point going to tell some stories about Winterfell in the past--and there were some details that came along w/ it that this might fit in with. I don't recall if it was related to the Dunk and Egg stories or not--hopefully someone can come along w/ a better memory than I have to fill some of this in.

Yes, he has said that in the past. In fact -

The next Dunk and Egg short story is to be set in Winterfell, and will involve the Wolf Women, five or six former and current Lady Starks. the past-vision that Bran has through the weirdwood tree is almost certainly Old Nan kissing Ser Duncan, possibly leading to sweet houghmagandie and providing Hodor with Ser Duncan's genes for size.

Re: Dark Sister, maybe the Children have it? If he'd left it at the Wall, then I suppose it would have turned up by now; seems like the Old Bear, Maester Aemon, or Donal Noye would have known about it.

Remember that Bloodraven was in the Black Cells when Aegon V decided to send him to the Wall. It is by no means sure that he was allowed to take the Targaryen family blade with him.

Remember that Bloodraven was in the Black Cells when Aegon V decided to send him to the Wall. It is by no means sure that he was allowed to take the Targaryen family blade with him.

Had forgotten that. I wonder if all the 'lost' Valyrian blades will start to turn up if it's ever revealed that 'dragonsteel' is supposedly effective against the Others, like Sam Tarly found from some book at Castle Black.

What about the corpses in the ice cells that don't become wights? I only noticed when Jon noticed, which is the same time he thought of their iron shackles.

Iron, which according to rumor keeps the ghosts of the Starks confined in their crypt in Winterfell.

Anyone else think there might be something to that?

What about the corpses in the ice cells that don't become wights? I only noticed when Jon noticed, which is the same time he thought of their iron shackles.

Iron, which according to rumor keeps the ghosts of the Starks confined in their crypt in Winterfell.

Anyone else think there might be something to that?

Seems more likely that it's the Wall that's stopping their wightification. They're imprisoned inside the Wall, which is known to have strong anti-Others enchantments. Iron is a possibility, but wights have wielded iron weapons in the past and otherwise been exposed to iron without anything unusual happening.

I mentioned this in the Still Reading thread.

Missandei has golden eyes and is around eleven years old. She is constantly giving better advice than most adults would give, Ser Barristan himself noting that she's smarter than half the people in his council ruling Mereen.

Children of the Forest have golden eyes. They look to around Arya's age, or around 11. The Child that Bran meets mentions that sometimes they walk the world of men, disguised as humans. They consider men to basically be the children and live a very long time.

I postulate that Missandei is observing Dany and her dragons for the Children and using a degree of magic to obscure the most exotic features of her people. They have an interest in them, with the Others and everything.

Problems with this- she apparently had brothers among the Unsullied and the Children with Bran don't seem that great with languages. Missandei seems to know several. If she is one of the Children than she'd have to be one particularly well traveled to know so many human languages. The Unsullied are maybe former traveling companions of hers that didn't know/never revealed her true identity, and thus she mourns for them and considers them like brothers.

Interesting theory, but I lean on the NOT side of it. I think Missandei is just a bright girl who got some education (she's a linguist and a scribe) and is fiercely loyal to and honest with Dany. She tells the Queen what she really thinks, and not what the Queen wants to hear, and has been privy to almost all of Dany's major decisions since she's come to her service. Her youth, status and vulnerability all serve to encourage Dany to confide in her and, if not actually consult with her, at least ask her opinion, and she's been forthright and honest in what she's said.

Long and short, I don't think there's anything conspiratorial about Missandei - she's just a former slave girl loyal to the one freed her out of gratitude and respect, and willing to speak honestly with a girl Queen who knows very little about the people she has "conquered". I like Missandei, and hope she lives a long an prosperous life, which of course means she'll be flayed or disemboweled or meet some other horrible fate in the next two books. :worried:

Yes the corpses don't become Wights because the Wall stops the Wights.

Thats why they used the get the Nightwatch to carry them in trick the first time, past the wall.

Wouldn't be much use if the Wights could just climb over it.

Yes the corpses don't become Wights because the Wall stops the Wights.

Thats why they used the get the Nightwatch to carry them in trick the first time, past the wall.

Wouldn't be much use if the Wights could just climb over it.

Were the GoT whites already turned by the time they were at the Wall then? I can't remember. If they were, why were they 'hibernating' or any such thing as we've seen them become hostile quickly after turning before and they 'should' be lacking the intellect to feign death as a means of infiltration.

This ones probably a red herring, but it somewhat hints to the possibility that Aerys had sex with Joanna Lannister (which would help re-enforce the somewhat bad theory that jaime/cersei are targs). I honestly think that was a total red herring though.

Tyrion thinks that Dany is not that schooled in the ways of war since she left a bunch of wells outside of Meereen flowing. Wonder why Barristan didnt think of doing this, or one of her other captains?? Seems strange...

Barristan would never suggest it. Too unchivalrous. It takes a Lannister (or perhaps a Martell or a Sand Snake) to suggest such a thing.

The sellsword captains wouldn't suggest it because they want to keep their options open. They don't want a no-man's-land around the city; that would impede their ability to send runners to the other side.

The Unsullied aren't educated. They're order-takers, not strategists. Ditto Strong Belwas.

The freed slaves wouldn't think of such a thing.

Did I miss any critical advisors?

Were the GoT whites already turned by the time they were at the Wall then? I can't remember. If they were, why were they 'hibernating' or any such thing as we've seen them become hostile quickly after turning before and they 'should' be lacking the intellect to feign death as a means of infiltration.

They were already wights, there are comments on at least one of them having changed eye colour. It seems wights are only active at night, which is why the Long Night should become really uncomfortable.

-It appears that Jon Connington is gay and had feelings for Rhaegar Targaryan.

I noticed that the moment Jon started reminiscing about Rhaegar in his second PoV chapter. First time I see it mentioned (finished the book a few hours ago, trying to go through all the threads as quickly as possible :D).

Archived