[ADWD SPOILERS] Where is Maege Mormont?

StarkBlack21

Where is Maege Mormont? No one mentions her. She has Robb's will, that could legitimize Jon. If Howland Reed won't be a POV character doesn't it make sense for Maege to be a POV character with Howland Reed? I don't believe Martin is never going to have Howland Reed show up, I think he's built him up to big not too.

• 3 months later...

i've been wondering about this too, and i couldn't find any other threads about it. personally, i'm thinking that she made it to greywater watch and is sheltering there, but i don't think we have any evidence one way or another. i do expect her to make an appearance at some point, but to what purpose i'm not certain.

I agree that we must meet Howland at some point. And I can't wait, he sounds like a very cool character. This is why I hope (against my better reasoning) that Rickon and Osha are in Greywater Watch, not Skagos. What a great way to meet Howland, and find Robb's will at the same time.

Can someone please explain to me GRRM's quote about there being no POV chapters that we have not already encountered.

Does this mean that POV chapters from here on can only come from characters that we have already met?....Or are the current POVs the only ones GRRM will continue to use for the remaining books?

Are Howland or Maege Mormont even eligible to have their own POV chapters?

Do we know if they eat people at Greywater? Considering he went with Osha, I'd say Skagos is more likely. Also, we see the bogdevils already opposing the ironmen and perhaps they've been lurking in the shadows at Winterfell as well? Either way, I don't think they'll sit out if there's a major battle for Winterfell in the next book.

Can someone please explain to me GRRM's quote about there being no POV chapters that we have not already encountered.

He meant no more PoVs but the ones we already have. Whether he'll stick to that or not though... I hope he does and I think he needs to kill off a few as well.

She and Galbart Glover were taking Robb's will to Greywater Watch. I'm curious as to see how that will play out, given that we're not getting any new POVs, apparently. I also think it's worth doing an inventory of Robb's surviving bannermen to see where they are. The Greatjon is alive but a prisoner. Maege and Galbart are meeting with Howland, and actually might have already. Manderly's waiting to stab the Boltons and Freys in the back. Robett Glover is or was at White Harbor. The Blackfish is on the run. Some Mormonts are on Bear Island, and Alysanne is with Stannis. Jason Mallister is holed up at Seagard. I assume Eddara Tallhart is still confined to Torrhen's Square. There are a lot of northern/Riverlands lords left, even after the Red Wedding.

Maege and Galbart have a big role to play, methinks. Or at least the will they carry does. Presumably they have the document bearing Robb's seal that legitimizes Jon and names his King in the North. That's pretty heavy. I mean, Jon turned down Stannis's offer of legitimization and Winterfell a couple times, but you gotta imagine it will carry a different weight coming from his brother. Plus king sounds a wee bit better than lord (or maybe not, depending on how big your army is and how much you value your head). Course all that won't matter much if Jon's actually dead. In which case, good choice Robb :thumbsup:

I'm just curious about whether or not it really was Jon who was named heir. I don't remember the exact wording of the scene, and I have no access to ASoS for reference, but all i remember is getting hung up by Cat mentioning that Robb had caught her in a trap of some sort. I remember he's sending her to Seagard, but that's not exactly a trap and Robb had already told her about his intention of naming Jon, so that's not much of a trap either. Is it possible that Robb named his mother his heir? Is that even allowed?

Hmmmm, personally I can't see Jon becoming King in the North, regardless of Robb's will, it would be very out of character for him I think, he's dead set on his duty in the Night's watch.

Unless, of course that assassination attempt has traumatized him and he cringes at the very name of the Night's Watch, and is desperate for any escape off of the Wall, even if it does mean he'll become Sovereign for the North.

I was expecting Maege and Glover to be important in ADwD but as they did not appear and time has passed in-story I think their importance is now diminished.

It is not strictly true to say they were carrying Robbs will to Greywater Watch, they were carrying his orders for Moat Cailin. As the documents they were carrying were decoys and he gave the true orders verbally we know Robb was worried they may be captured, so they were unlikely to be carrying the original will, at best they may have had a copy. The original document probably stayed with Robbs army (which he would have thought the safer place) and has presumably been lost or destroyed by now.

At the end of SoS Maege and Glover seemed important because they were the only ones that knew the will that were free agents. Edmure and the Greatjon were captive at the Twins, Mallister penned up at Seagard. By the end of ADwD, the identity of Robbs heir could be known to the Blackfish (through Edmure) and relatives of any of the returned prisoners from the Twins (if Edmure and the Greatjon shared that with them).

I was expecting Maege and Glover to be important in ADwD but as they did not appear and time has passed in-story I think their importance is now diminished.

It is not strictly true to say they were carrying Robbs will to Greywater Watch, they were carrying his orders for Moat Cailin. As the documents they were carrying were decoys and he gave the true orders verbally we know Robb was worried they may be captured, so they were unlikely to be carrying the original will, at best they may have had a copy. The original document probably stayed with Robbs army (which he would have thought the safer place) and has presumably been lost or destroyed by now.

At the end of SoS Maege and Glover seemed important because they were the only ones that knew the will that were free agents. Edmure and the Greatjon were captive at the Twins, Mallister penned up at Seagard. By the end of ADwD, the identity of Robbs heir could be known to the Blackfish (through Edmure) and relatives of any of the returned prisoners from the Twins (if Edmure and the Greatjon shared that with them).

Before Edmure returned to Riverrun the Blackfish was under seige. As I recall the Direwolf was displayed on the battlements of Riverrun, and the Blackfish made a point of letting Jaime know so. For this reason I believe that the will is actually at Riverrun. I even seem to remember that after everyone had signed it that it was sent to Riverrun in the possession of Rob's squire, which served the purpose of having him not present at the Twins. Robb's squire was one of Lady Jeyne's siblings (off the top of my head).

Jeyne's brothers are Raynold, who died freeing Grey Wind at the RW and Rollam, who was 9. Tower of the Hand has no reference to Rollam after departing Riverrun so I do not know where he is (probably with his mother and sisters and just not mentioned by Jaime's chapters in AFFC). I did wonder if you meant Jeynes uncle Ser Rolph Spencer as I remembered him being sent on an errand, but apparantly he was sent from Riverrun on a prisoner exchange.

So I don't think Robb sending a messenger to Blackfish is mentioned in the text, but agree that it would have made a lot of sense if he had.

There was just a post on this in the thread for small questions (credit goes to poster Peter Woolshirt). He pointed out that Alysanne, Maege's daughter who is w/ Asha and Stannis, tells Asha that two of her sisters are with their mother. In other words, Maege went south w/ only Dacey right? Dacey died at the RW. Unless Maege was also traveling w/ two other daughters, she has somehow now met up with them, b/c Alysanne says her mother is with them.

The implication is that Maege has made it through the Neck and been reunited with the two daughters (at Bear Island or elsewhere). And she would be doing what?

Interesting ... Seems as if there is a lot going on offscreen in the North.

There was just a post on this in the thread for small questions (credit goes to poster Peter Woolshirt). He pointed out that Alysanne, Maege's daughter who is w/ Asha and Stannis, tells Asha that two of her sisters are with their mother. In other words, Maege went south w/ only Dacey right? Dacey died at the RW. Unless Maege was also traveling w/ two other daughters, she has somehow now met up with them, b/c Alysanne says her mother is with them.

The implication is that Maege has made it through the Neck and been reunited with the two daughters (at Bear Island or elsewhere). And she would be doing what?

Actually, Maege joined Robb with three of her daughters when he called his banners.

Dacey stayed with Robb at the RW and died.

The two others went with their mother to the Neck.

Actually, Maege joined Robb with three of her daughters when he called his banners.

Aww, thanks. I thought it seemed to good to be true!

Agreed. What I think is important is that Alysanne knew that she was with 2 of her daughters, not 3. This would imply that there has been some communication between Greywater Watch and the Mormonts. How else would she know who was with whom?

Agreed. What I think is important is that Alysanne knew that she was with 2 of her daughters, not 3. This would imply that there has been some communication between Greywater Watch and the Mormonts. How else would she know who was with whom?

B/c she knew Dacey was dead? Is that not well known? B/c the other daughter is at Bear Island making Stannis mad.

This subject is so little covered, glad someone brought it up...

Greywater is such "grey" area for us as readers, pun intended, more like a black hole. Things go in and nothing. If no new POV's then Greywater may remain this way and all we'll get is second handle accounts of what may have gone on in there. I always invisioned it would crop up similar to Dorne and Pyke. The little hints of it have been annoying me since CoK.

I also wonder is Ned's bones are sitting in there as well.

Back to Meage and co. I always figured, she would rally the GW's behind whichever Stark was on hand, since it's assumed all were lost but Jon... We'll there you go.

B/c she knew Dacey was dead? Is that not well known? B/c the other daughter is at Bear Island making Stannis mad.

It is known that the Freys slaughtered Robbs people at the Twins. But how many people knew where Mormont and her daughters went? 6? 12? Maybe 20. How many of those survived the Red Wedding? So who exactly do you think sent word to Bear Island with the specific information of what happened to 3 Mormont women?

Remember, whoever sent word 1) knew that they left together and 2) survived the Red Wedding and 3) was in a position to send word.

I can only think of a few people who meet 1 & 2. Bolton, the Greatjohn and maybe another prisoner or 2. I don't think they allow prisoners access to ravens, and I don't think Bolton would have sent word on this.

I think Mormont made it to Greywater Watch and sent word from there. I know ravens can't find GWW, but they can probably be sent from there.

I think Mormont made it to Greywater Watch and sent word from there. I know ravens can't find GWW, but they can probably be sent from there.

I see ... interesting! Thanks!

Archived