NorCal BWB - MG in SF 9-14 Aug

I am going to be in San Francisco from 9 to 14 August before flying to Reno on Mon 15 for Worldcon and would be interested in meeting up with any of the NorCal BWB if anyone is available that week.

Still not sure exactly what my plans are for those days. I am hoping to take a tour to Yosemite and also to Redwood. Will probably take the Alcatraz tour on Wednesday - is it worth seeing Angel Island as well? Any other suggestions for tours, museums, places to visit, stuff to see are welcome :)

I think my preference would be for a meet up on the evening of Tuesday 9 August but my plans are flexible if another evening is better for the majority of people interested.

I am going to be in San Francisco from 9 to 14 August before flying to Reno on Mon 15 for Worldcon and would be interested in meeting up with any of the NorCal BWB if anyone is available that week.

Still not sure exactly what my plans are for those days. I am hoping to take a tour to Yosemite and also to Redwood. Will probably take the Alcatraz tour on Wednesday - is it worth seeing Angel Island as well? Any other suggestions for tours, museums, places to visit, stuff to see are welcome :)

I think my preference would be for a meet up on the evening of Tuesday 9 August but my plans are flexible if another evening is better for the majority of people interested.

Do you plan on having a car? I assume so for at least part of the time if you are headed for Yosemite, though I suppose there may be some sort of tour bus thing of which I am unaware.

Then if you are going to be on Alcatraz, I'd probably not bother with Angel Island. The best part about the island is the views from the bicycle trail or on the ferry ride over. But the views from Alcatraz are better. I'd also recommend a day trip to Berkeley, with a walk around the campus and surrounding area. It is a pretty campus and the city itself is lively and wild, if a tad bit on the grungy side. It can be easily reached on BART.

Where are you staying? I can probably suggest some cheap eats nearby in most neighborhoods of San Francisco.

And I would probably be up for one night of pub crawling if you'd be interested in such. I doubt we'd have to twist too many arms in BwB NorCal to make it a group. This of course assumes you are 21 and actually interested in pubs.

Depending on where and when you pick, I may see if I can tag along. I have weddings in SoCal each of those weekends, but will be back near San Jose for part of the week in between. And after the 14th, but MG will already be off to Reno by then.

Just giving you all fair warning!

I have not actually booked a hotel yet because I'm not sure if I will be staying in the city for every night or whether I might book some kind of multi-day coach or hiking tour. Suggestions on a good hotel to stay at would be most welcome.

I am over 21 but not a drinker. Still it would be good to meet up in some pubs with you good people and the more the merrier. Bronn - thanks for your kind offer of a wine tasting trip but that's not really my kind of thing.

and I'm as much of a foodie, though I can match Ser Bronn glass for glass. mostly. Hotel rec's would be based on budget and city. SF proper? Berkeley? Oakland? San Jose? I've always been a fan of 4star hotels on Hotwire, once you know where you want to stay (I often would book hotels in SF to avoid the chance dui late at night)

Not knowing your preferences on what part of the area to stay in, I personally like Club Quarters in San Francisco. It's modest, relatively affordable, and clean, and close to public transportation.

It's also close to the ferry building/Embarcadero, which is beautiful, and is a nice area to walk/jog/cycle. I believe there are some bicycle rentals nearby as well. The ferry building also has a charming farmer's market on Saturday mornings, which is a good place to get some breakfast. It sounds like you enjoy the outdoors, and if you can't get to Yosemite, there is some nice hiking and views across the golden gate bridge in the Marin Headlands, or Mount Tamalpais. If you won't have a car, 511.org has a public transit planner that should get you where you want to go (or near enough)

The DeYoung museum in Golden Gate park is great, as well as the Academy of Sciences (which has an adult only Thurs 'nightlife' event, so that it's not as crowded with children and strollers). Those are personal favorites, although the MOMA isn't bad either.

I would definitely be up for a meet, and Tues, Aug 9 works for me. My schedule is pretty flexible too though :)

That appears to be located on the corner of Sutter and Stockton - near the location of the biggest public parking garage in downtown SF.

The pubs I know well in that general neighborhood (Murphy's, Irish Bank, Rickhouse, Tunnel Top and Cigar Club) are all probably too small and/or crowded.

Does anyone else have an idea?

jasper's corner just opened, and looks interesting (401 Taylor Street, at O’Farrell), but slightly expensive, not that I mind now that I'm working again... Zeitgeist worked well last time, and theRedwoman's friend (rhythm guitar in the band) owns the Buck Tavern on Market and Gough, which never seems too crowded.

Those are my SF thoughts. If we want to do the East Bay, I love the Trappist on 8th near Broadway in Oakland (gets crowded) but great Belgian Style beers and near Bart. Or the Missouri, great patio, wonderful dive, but not too close to BART. Or Luka's taproom on Grand and Broadway, not far from Bart.

These days, I'm on Bart after work. No parking at this job.

there's my 2 cents

Hey good people of the NorCal BWB

I hate to do this to you but could we reschedule for Wednesday or Thursday?

The problem is I arrived late for my flight this morning, I've had to rebook for tomorrow, get a hotel room at the airport, lost the money on my Las Vegas hotel booking tonight, lets just say it has been an expensive day.

The expense I would have got over but I nearly missed out on the Grand Canyon trip I had planned for tomorrow which would have really sucked. Thankfully they have offered to rebook for Tuesday and what I'm going to do is get myself on a later flight that day from Las Vegas to San Francisco, but that means I won't arrive until about 9.00 pm.

I hope you guys will understand, won't hold it against me and maybe you'll be willing to come out on a different night instead. Unless you mind me showing up really late of course?

lordMountainGoat - sorry for all your travel woes! Have totally been there, although maybe not to that badly of an extent...

My week is totally open - any day will work for me :)

Archived