Oona Chaplin is… ?

Westeros

Oona Chaplin, grand-daughter of Charlie Chaplin and a young actress of some note (she’s presently appearing in the BBC’s high-end period drama, The Hour), writes about what her perfect weekend would be, and in the course of it she dropped this tidbit:

I’ve got a part in Game of Thrones…

By her looks (she’s half-Chilean), she’d pass for a Dornishwoman, wouldn’t she? Or someone from the Free Cities. Someone from other parts of Westeros, too, sure, depending on how make-up goes. Suggestions that have been put forward: the mysterious Quaithe of Asshai, Jeyne Westerling (she’s one-quarter Eastern, after all), Meera Reed (“Too tall!” the inner fanboy cries), Jhiqui, and, rather intringuingly, the dead Elia of Dorne. Is the show relenting on flashbacks, after strenuously avoiding them last season? We can only hope.

Thanks to The Rabbit for pointing out the article.

Visit the Site!

I've just been watching The Hour and was thinking about how good she is. She'd make a good Arianne, for sure, or any of the Sand Snakes really. Even Taena Merryweather, though she's probably too young.

I've just been watching The Hour and was thinking about how good she is. She'd make a good Arianne, for sure, or any of the Sand Snakes really. Even Taena Merryweather, though she's probably too young.

I don't think she is too young for Taena. All that matters is that Taena is exotic, sexy, and old enought to be a mother to a young son. Oona is 26.

The show wouldn't have to resort to flashbacks for her to play Elia -- Dany sees Elia and Rhaegar in the House of the Undying. However, given that would be a small role with only a couple of lines (and late in the season, at that) it seems unlikely to be the case. It also strikes me as unlikely, given we missed out on meeting the Blackfish, the Tullys, Podrick Payne, Roose Bolton, and other northmen such as the Karstarks in season one, that they would move characters like Taena, Arrianne, and the sand snakes from AFFC all the way into season two. They would have even less to do than the missing characters from season one did in AGoT.

I kind of hope she's not Jeyne or Meera, purely because that's not how I pictured either of those characters, particularly Jeyne. Fingers crossed for Qaithe or someone else in Dany's orbit in Qarth.

I'm thinking that Jeyne is probably the most likely candidate. I'm assuming that they're going to show Jeyne-Robb sexy time rather than just hearing about it secondhand. For me the most important thing is to breathe some life into the character. I never bought into the Jeyne-Robb relationship and thought that she was very bland as a character. Considering that they've aged Robb up a bit and inferred that he is probably more sexually experienced than in the book (if Jon found his way to the brothel, I'm sure that Robb did as well), there has to be more romantic tension and more of a reason as to why Robb would break the Frey marriage contract. I expect TV viewers to smack Robb numerous times, but understand why he may have broken that agreement.

I'm thinking that Jeyne is probably the most likely candidate.

Yes. I'm fully behind that idea. :) Of the few remaining uncast female characters that are likely to appear in S2, Jeyne tops the list given her apperance.

Quaithe is a non-role really. Act mysterious very briefly and dissappear. I'd say the same about hangers on around Margarey or Dany (why would she bother?) and Elia seems wildly optimistic. :P Given that Oona Chaplin seems like an actress on the rise, Jeyne can offer something more, especially if D&D get creative with that story. :)

I liked the whole Jeyne-Robb relationship but GRRM didn't give it a lot of time. That can change here.

I don't think she is too young for Taena. All that matters is that Taena is exotic, sexy, and old enought to be a mother to a young son. Oona is 26.

Especially when you take into account the age women were married and made children in the time period in which Soiaf is set (although technically since it's not Earth it's not medieval, blah blah blah).

Especially when you take into account the age women were married and made children in the time period in which Soiaf is set (although technically since it's not Earth it's not medieval, blah blah blah).

We know it works like that with nobles in Westeros anyhow. Cat, Sansa, Lysa, Cersei, Margaery, etc. all married young.

Are you saying that Oona looks like a woman to lose a kingdom over?

No. I'm agreeing with Jamie. Just speculating on what he saw though.

I thought jeyne was a woman to lose a kingdom over. Or why else succumb to screwing up all the arrangements.

I'm saying not how I saw her but if that's how she looks I would have married the the least ugly Frey and found a good mistress

I thought jeyne was a woman to lose a kingdom over. Or why else succumb to screwing up all the arrangements.

I'm saying not how I saw her but if that's how she looks I would have married the the least ugly Frey and found a good mistress

Oona Chaplin is much hotter than I imagined Jeyne (those pictures on the article are really not good). In my head, Jeyne is a cute girl-next-door type: pretty, but not a Helen of Troy kingdom-wrecker.

I never got the impression that Jeyne was supposed to be a knockout. I don't think anybody is all that much awestruck by her looks. Not even the young wolf. It was his sense of honor that caused the problem.

Actually Oona Chaplin is just playing "Jeyne" they specifically didn't mention the last name. So it could be Jeyne Westerling or Jeyne Poole, or maybe another new Jeyne (Though I doubt that's the case). Either way, she's not how I pictured either Jeyne Westerling or Jeyne Poole, definitely has the more exotic Dornish look.

Archived