Malta Out, Croatia and Iceland in, Says HBO

Westeros

Finally providing confirmation for what had apparently been the case for awhile, HBO has released the following statement concerning the three locations in which shooting for the second season of Game of Thrones would be taking place:

Two additional locations have been chosen for the second season of the HBO series, Game of Thrones. The production, based in Belfast, Northern Ireland, will shoot segments of the new season in Croatia and Iceland.

Croatian sites will serve as some of the Southern locations in the series while several scenes “beyond the Wall” will be shot in Iceland.

We’ve previously reported on the shooting locations topic. For those Maltese extras and fans who had hoped to see the production shooting there again, this must be a disappointment, but we know that there’ll be a whole lot of Croatian fans eager to know all about the filming there—much of it centered on scenic medieval city Dubrovnik, where casting for extras is ongoing, according to Dubrovinknet (Croatian).

Visit the Site!

Does anyone know how expensive shooting in these locations is, in comparison to Malta? They certainly look like great places to be filming GoT.

I'm worried about the expense. Season 2 has a LOT of very important battles, I was hoping we'd be able to see some, what with Sean Bean and Mark Addy being dead and a few million free for sfx.

I'm worried about the expense. Season 2 has a LOT of very important battles, I was hoping we'd be able to see some, what with Sean Bean and Mark Addy being dead and a few million free for sfx.

You know they didn't really cut Sean Bean's head off, right? ;)

Does anyone know how expensive shooting in these locations is, in comparison to Malta? They certainly look like great places to be filming GoT.

I looked up Iceland and they give a 20% discount for using studio facilities in that country.

There are indeed film studios there. FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS* was one of the latest supported by Icelandic film production. I guess even at 20% support they need the money!

(*Only place they could find a black sand beach, the Japanese don't allow much film making on Iwo Jima because there were so many Japanese soldiers missing in action there.)

Tho I thought Malta was cheap, Croatia must at least come in at the same price, been a lot of films made in Eastern European countries because it has been economic, and you have a lot of towns and castles and stuff like that , that have not changed for 500 to 1000 years.

Tho I thought Malta was cheap, Croatia must at least come in at the same price, been a lot of films made in Eastern European countries because it has been economic, and you have a lot of towns and castles and stuff like that , that have not changed for 500 to 1000 years.

Though Croatia is a Central European country they also passed a Tax rebate law aiming to stimulate the film industry, a few episodes of Dr. Who were filmed in Croatia recently ( those depicting Venice)...

Though Croatia is a Central European country they also passed a Tax rebate law aiming to stimulate the film industry, a few episodes of Dr. Who were filmed in Croatia recently ( those depicting Venice)...

It's lame.

The casting for extras was announced on the same day that the audition took place (23rd).

My and my mates never had a chance to get there from Zagreb.

Wahhhaaaaaa. :(((((

FUCK YOU MALTA! Although, Iceland surely can't be in use for North of the Wall? (Iceland= barren rock NoTW = Lots of forests)

Well, I can't personally attest to this having never been to Iceland, but my google searches tell me that while Iceland was indeed heavily deforested, there are still a few forest areas left, so perhaps they could be used? Also, I seem to recall Jon and company crossing through the mountainous areas North of Wall, and I'm sure Iceland has plenty places for that. Iceland has a lot of interesting scenery, so I bet they'll find plenty of scenes to shoot there and the North might not even be among of them of course.

It's lame.

The casting for extras was announced on the same day that the audition took place (23rd).

My and my mates never had a chance to get there from Zagreb.

Wahhhaaaaaa. :(((((

Wish I'd known you wanted to go, I was aware that Embassy films were involved on Friday, and my friend from DU sent a final confirmation on Monday... Too bad...

Archived