What have I got? Unusual copy of A Game of Thrones.

birdsinger

Hi all,

Can someone please help me identify this? It has this on the front cover:

A GAME OF THRONES

BOOK ONE of

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE

An epic fantasy trilogy

by

George R.R. Martin

tpb & hc Aug "96

The best way I can describe it is to say that it looks like a preview copy of A Game of Thrones, printed on A4 paper and bound, I think, with thermal tape. (I'm not too sure of the technical term.) It's signed by George R.R. Martin. You can see a series of photos here.

So what the heck is it? Does it have any value?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks for the replies. I do want to sell it, I'm just trying to decide how. I'm not sure if I throw it on eBay and cross my fingers, try to negotiate a private sale or do something else. :dunno:

By the way, I love the reference to "an epic fantasy trilogy"... :D

Thanks for the replies. I do want to sell it, I'm just trying to decide how. I'm not sure if I throw it on eBay and cross my fingers, try to negotiate a private sale or do something else. :dunno:

By the way, I love the reference to "an epic fantasy trilogy"... :D

the first thing to do is to look into the sales history of similar items to determine what a fair market price might be. that way, whatever route you choose, you won't be over- or undercharging for it.

http://www.abebooks....-martin/signed/

(scroll down to the later listings, as those are most similar to what you have)

I am sure that dajamieson or some of the other long-time collectors will have a good idea of how much something like this has gone for in the past. :)

I have a signed editors proof. That is not one.

It may be a bound manuscript for important early reviewers. It may be something someone put together on their own to make some cash. George's editor Anne would be the one to ask. I simply do not know. It could be worthless or priceless.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Stego.

Without getting into precise details the item was given to a staff member of a bookshop I used to work at, I assume by the publisher because it was before the release of the original book (I think). I had it signed by Mr Martin when he came to visit the store.

I'm in Australia by the way. Would Anne know about preview copies released here?

Thanks again.

Archived